Windows 7 64 bit wont boot after upgrading ram

fox55

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
i have done a clean install of win 7- 64 bit and it wont boot up, the pc runs but blank screen, i take the new 8 gig of ram out and put the 4 gig back and all is good again. can anyone shed some light on this, henry

What's the make and model number of the memory?

I mean seriously how could anyone answer your question when in your original post you fail to mention what motherboard and what ram? :bounce:

skaz

Distinguished

Did you have the new RAM in your system during the clean install of windows 7? Are you getting a POST from the BIOS or is the blank screen occurring as soon as you hit the power button?

Take one stick of your new RAM and place it into the first slot. Now see if your system works. Test out each slot on your motherboard with the one stick. After that test, try the other new sticks of RAM you have as well. Trying to narrow down the problem to possibly a bad stick or slot.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333+
Experience the advanced technology of DDR3 1333+ memory, featuring faster speeds and higher data bandwidth, which delivers superior performance for the most demanding applications.
* DDR3 1333+ is supported with combination of AM3 CPU and qualified memory modules, please refer "Memory Support List" for detail memory support information.

There is a list of compatible ram on the site!

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3583#ov

click memory support list!it's a pdf file!

fox55

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
yes i put the new ram in before the insall but had a blank screen so i used the old ram to do the install which went fine then i replaced it again with new, no luck so i did the swap around with the new ram in different slots but nothing

fox55

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

i have tried the ram in diferent ways but still no go, i emailed the seller of the ram and he told me it was tested before it was sent to me , he tested the ram in a m/b the same as mine (he didn't know my brand of m/b) and a another one and said they tested fine. would it be a driver problem maybe

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
That sounds fishy to me Did you buy the ram new? and if so and it doesnt work send it back...that ram though not the greatest for the gig boad should still at least post and run your system .... I would say from the limited info that its bad ram and you should send it back and yes +1 to area51reopened whenever you add some new hardware to your mobo(m/b) that you should always research what the recommended requirements for it