P5B BASIC--- NEW BIOS!!!

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
FSB doesnt got to change much when you got an unlocked multiplier...

But I do assume more changes to come.. Luckily I dont plan to overclock for awhile... Ive had problems with basic system stability and had to send back my Board/CPU... Im going to make sure everything is tip-top.

Mike

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I bought the best, and it will overclock like the best... Im ok with the money I spent... and Im looking at 13... my lucky number:) With a perfect 1:1 memory ratio:)

Corsair 8500 rocks:)

Yes speed is expensive... but its also fun:) I do regret the Asus p5b... I regret not buying the deluxe... but even more I wish I didnt buy a Asus period...

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I knew what product I wanted based on the reviews of the Deluxe... I figured that asus treats and designs their MoBo's like Giga-byte. But I got a board that is a bit behind... its ok, overclocking isnt something I rush into... I have mentioned it in the past... and I say it again...

Overclocking should take weeks and months... not days...

Its nice to pump things up, and run a few bench marks...

I read a book on collecting editable mushrooms, and it applies to this... it said: "There are wise old mushroom hunters, and there are wise bold mushroom hunters... But there are no Old Bold mushroom hunters..."

I would like to revise that... "There are wise old cpu overclockers, and there are wise bold cpu overclockers... But there are no Wise Bold cpu overclockers that have old cpu's..."

I got time to work with... I got a board with the ability to make small adjustments to FSB... I got a chip that can make up the rest... I got memory thats fast, and I got water cooling to add reliability...

I would have you revise your sticky... I wouldnt recommend anyone run a 1.4v for the X6800 on air... I ran 1.4v and got 60c temps when it ran overnight... I was doing MPEG2 compressions... I run water... I also watch the VCore and havent seen the need for that high... yet...

Lets see what the months bring... The truth is that there are no truths... It seems that every chip is different... What I have noticed is that high FSB's fry MoBo's... and maybe even the cpus. With watercooling the Deluxe P5B can be dangerous. There is no air flowing around the cpu...

Your link is wise, it talks about the problem with people asking questions on these boards, then finding out, and getting angry at people who tell them to do more research.

If you want customer service, then go buy something... if you want raw answers come to the forums... I got thick skin, but I dont need to spend time jerking some guy off to make him happy with my answers...

Anyways, we are off point...

I beleive The P5B is a Great MoBo... It needs time to develop. I know it will, and I feel that it was a great choice for me... Take a look at the heatsink... you can find a pick on Newegg, just search for Asus P5B...

The issue is that all current mobos dont have good pin based heatsinks on the FSB... they all use a wire... this makes it near impossible to change heatsinks. However, we do have some options... Thermal Epoxy, or make up something with a small fan and some nice plastic... I will be making a fan that has a nice socket that will slide onto the heatsink... A bit of thermal tape... and you got yourself a good cooling solution... one that will work ALLOT better then the P5B Deluxe... I dont think the Voltage Regulators really need to be cooled... They dont power a big bad Pentium 5...

I will be buying a Good Crossfire solution that is suitable for the X1900XTX with a upgraded chipset that will better support the Core2Duo then the p5w... I will buy this motherboard when it comes out, and when I need a videocard that doesnt post 50+ fps on fear...

I said it before and I will say it again... I dont like my Asus, because I am not happy with the company... Their support and business isnt what I look for.

What are your concerns, if any, with a 13 or 14 multiplier... (I think 14 would be pushing it without a peltier or phase change solution)... but is their anything else I should take into account other then additional voltage needs and heat issues?

Thanks
Mike

PS, I have access to windows server with clustering. A legit license... I may try a few machines together with multiple Gigabyte Eithernet networks connecting them... Then we will talk speed:) Screw Multi-cores when you got Clusters...

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I searched for NorthBridge Coolers and couldnt find the Swiftech MCX159 on the FrozenCPU.com site... This product looks promising... I am sure with one of these on either the P5B or P5B Deluxe that it will gain a better ability and a more stable/longer life span on the northbridge.

It is the perfect solution for water coolering users, who have no fan too cool off the P5B Deluxe Heatsink.

Edit: FrozenCPU does have this cooler... you just have to search for "Swiftech MCX159" and not "NorthBridge"

Mike

PS, I respect step 6, but I tend to run things the opposite way... pump up the machine and then raise the voltage when you start to have problems...

I would like to hear your reasoning to start with a 1.4v then start lowering it... Again, I would strongly suggest a step down from 1.4v on AirCooling... ESPECIALLY WITH STOCK AIR COOLER!

It would also be nice to provide a second approach based on the one you mentioned above... just starting with stock Voltages then raising them up... Gather some information from people who have hit limits then found that the limits were overcome with increases in voltages.

I would also LOVE to see a sticker on Memory Timings... I dont know much about this, except that there are 4 numbers mentioned on products, and about 8 numbers mentioned in the BIOS.

I always wanted to know what thoose other numbers where... and why some memory will run at lower settings, compile this information from the large amount of reports coming in with people who are using these products...

I will help with this if you need some... but that would be so valuable...

Mike

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Have you got the slightest clue of how much stuff I've overclocked in the past years? It's just plain experince I and other true overclockers have been practising and has always worked with the equipement we're using.

You are showing incredible patience. I applaud your tenacity.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I was just thinking of updating this thread...

The 509 supports a 6-13 multiplier on the X6800

12 Multiplier is stable
No FSB Multiplier changes are stable
Most settings in Wusy's guide are available

More disapointment...
Mike