Sign in with
Your question

overclock e6600 at 3.6

Last response: in Overclocking
September 14, 2006 8:47:55 PM

hello everyone

I have a e6600 at 3.6 on air with the zolman heat sink
and a case with a fan in the top. I think that helps.

CPU frequency is 400 with ddr 800

I have
P5b deluxe
miskin xp2-6400 2 gig
700 watt ocz gamer power supply

It has run for 2 days with dual prime 95
With all the voltages at default

But the asus probe program has my CPU at 140 degrees some times
How hot is to hot for the CPU?

Asus the program also says my core voltage is 1.55v but cpuz says it 1.213v

If I left the voltage at auto in the bios it should be the 1.213v or default right?

What else can I try to push it harder? Or dare I ?

Thanks for the help

More about : overclock e6600

September 14, 2006 9:22:13 PM

What MB are you using? I am running a P5W DH but i cant seem to get it over 3.2 without messing up.
September 14, 2006 9:45:52 PM

if you read his post, he simply stated he was using a P5B Deluxe

Also, google Core Temp and use that to measure your core temp as ASUS Probe is somewhat inaccurate do to the sensor it uses. Um... other question... are you really noticing that much of an increase in performance? Why aren't you happy with that? it's a brand new chip. go easy on it. think of it as a new car. they say not to race the engine for the first 3000 miles. just break the CPU in, and then push further. Other than that, check out Wusy's overclock guide ;) 
Related resources
September 14, 2006 10:31:50 PM

Do not set the voltage to auto; I suggest you leaving it at stock and if problems persist, increase the voltage ever so slightly.
September 14, 2006 10:40:25 PM

if i make any adjustment to the vcore in the bios it wont boot

i have 1.2 to 1.55 if i set it to anything but auto it wont post..

but i think 140 to 147 is to hot. it shuts off at like 148.

i have tinkered with the ram volts a little too.

from 1.9 to 2.3 if i use anything but auto there it wont post..

i am just doing this for the fun and education. when i start using this

ill set it at like 3.0 ghz
September 14, 2006 10:45:55 PM

try flashing the BIOS to the latest one. See if that helps. Also, someone in another thread stated that sometimes, you need not to raise the voltage, but to lower it.

Good luck
September 14, 2006 10:47:53 PM

Are you OCing your cpu? I have pretty much the same setup but whenever i set the cpu to anythign over 3.2 it will not boot (when it resets after hitting save, the screen stays blank).

I am trying to run the FSB at 400Mhz (or even 377 for 3.4)
I set the voltages as told in Wusy's guide: MCH: 1.55
VFSB 1.4 (called termination voltage in the bios?)
vICH 1.20 (only allows for auto, 1.05 or 1.2)
vCore 1.400

*Note* question to Euras...
September 14, 2006 10:49:25 PM

yes i have the asus p5b deluxe.

and that big zoleman heat sink. i dont have the number for it anymore

i got this mb because the muskin memory told me too.
September 15, 2006 3:09:42 PM

I have the latest bios.. I going to take a stab here with out looking

I have followed wuzzys guide and it works fine until I change anything with voltage.

I have to leave everything at auto

If you’re having trouble posting set all the voltages to auto see if that works.

I don’t know maybe the new bios has flaws.

I run stable at 3.6… the temps get up to 140 to 147 with asus probe
September 15, 2006 3:56:56 PM

Quote:
Are you OCing your cpu? I have pretty much the same setup but whenever i set the cpu to anythign over 3.2 it will not boot (when it resets after hitting save, the screen stays blank).

vCore 1.400

Actually, if I remembered correctly, I but the SPD to Auto rather than trying to set the values and I thinked that work. Can't quite remember. Is your overclock Prime95 stable? At 3.2, Prime95 fails to start correctly and gives me an error saying it doesn't detect the L2 or something. This was a while back. Btw, if you flash your BIOS to 1402, it unlocks the multiplier, down only, if that helps.
September 15, 2006 4:36:26 PM

I am stable at 3.42.

I can run dual prime95 and do a 32 Meg calculation with super pi at the same time.

It would never do that at 3.6

My temp is running at 113 degrees.. With asus probe2

And 53c with core temp.

To convert Celsius to degrees.. Isn’t it.. C *1.8+32?

Ill try the other bios
September 15, 2006 4:39:42 PM

quick question, how come the cpu gets so hot when you havent overvolted it? I know the faster clock speed will raise the temp some, but I thought the over volt was what jumped up the heat the most.
September 15, 2006 4:49:17 PM

good question.. i dont know.. cpuz says my core is 1.213v

asus says at 3.6 1.5v

but as a cpu ossalates it creats friction with causes heat as i understand it.

the faster it shakes the more heat it makes

so the in crease of volts gets you at the higher hrz.

then it has to handle it
September 15, 2006 5:09:40 PM

heh, that's because I pulled it off another site. It's an "unofficial" BIOS update, but it works just fine and flawlessly!

if you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send you the file

other than that, it's somewhat confusing going from F to C

also go to google and type this:

115 degrees fahrenheit (sp) in celsius and hit <Enter> and you should get a result ;)  Comes very handy when working with math units and don't like looking for formulas or using MS Calculater :p 
September 15, 2006 5:18:20 PM

http://www.forumdeluxx.de/forum/showthread.php?t=256507

scroll down and you should be able to make out where it lists the BIOS versions. apparently, BIOS 1403 is out as well.

right now, I'm using BIOS 1402.

Note: When flashing to BIOS 1402 from 1301, ASUS Update (Asus's Windows Flash BIOS Utility), it took about a minute for it to complete. At first, it'll seem like it froze, but it's flashing the BIOS. Worked for me.

Good luck =/
September 15, 2006 5:29:55 PM

i am little nervious aboyt using a bios this isnt asus..

but its in english?

i am using a cheep video card right now. its a shaphire x550

i wonder if i well get a higher clock with my xfx 7900gtx.

or do you think that matters.

but when i installed the ati drivers for this card it wouldnt even boot at 3.0
September 15, 2006 5:37:44 PM

Will your 975 bios work in his 965 board?
September 15, 2006 6:14:04 PM

Quote:

vCore 1.400

Dude! Nothing gets by you does it :?: :?:

Both of the questions you asked in two different posts were answered in the posters first post!

Notice on the bottom that it was directed to Eurasianman and not the first poster
September 15, 2006 6:32:39 PM

Quote:
Will your 975 bios work in his 965 board?

my bad. Parker, the BIOS I listed was for wstcoaster07. The BIOS link is specifically for ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboards! Not the ASUS P5B series! Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Granite3
September 15, 2006 6:39:14 PM

well i have.

p5b deluxe. wifi-ap edition

i dint know you could use bios other than oem
September 15, 2006 7:33:26 PM

Once your vcore get to ~1.5 it stops registering in cpuz and shows up as 1.213.

As seen here:
this is an E6400 at 1.525v

September 15, 2006 8:12:05 PM

377 * 9 = 3399 MHz
VCore is at 1.5V

the others were set the same as yours

RAM timings 4-4-4-12

boots into Windows, but not dual prime stable :( 
September 15, 2006 8:14:03 PM

OCnewb,

Those figures are amazing man! Well done. A job well done. I am really new to the PC building thing, let alone OC. I'l love to take my E6600 up to 3.6 GHz. If anyone kept a log of what they EXACTLY did with their P5w DH Deluxe, E6600, x1900xt and OCX 2GB Rev. 2 DDR2 800 RAM, and you have the time and feel like making the world a better place, PLEASE POST IT ONLINE.

I'd like to try Wusy's guide but there are so may mobos in there. Makes me nervious as some mistakes/ommitings could have been made. I read other posts where guys had some problems with the guide. I'm new to this, so just want to do it right first time.
September 15, 2006 8:28:09 PM

Quick question on screwing up - can you fry the PC or damage it in anyway by changing anything else except the voltages. I know changing voltages = changes heat = burnt hole in pocket = murderous rage. If I change frequencies and input the wrong thing, will I be ok.

2nd - if I totally stuff up, and I always able to get into the BIOS to edit the settings. I read that you sometimes have to open the machine up and reset it that way with the jumper or something. What happens when you have to do that, and how can I avoid it.

THANKS. This is a good start.
September 15, 2006 8:49:18 PM

Quote:
Quick question on screwing up - can you fry the PC or damage it in anyway by changing anything else except the voltages. I know changing voltages = changes heat = burnt hole in pocket = murderous rage. If I change frequencies and input the wrong thing, will I be ok.

2nd - if I totally stuff up, and I always able to get into the BIOS to edit the settings. I read that you sometimes have to open the machine up and reset it that way with the jumper or something. What happens when you have to do that, and how can I avoid it.

THANKS. This is a good start.

The only way I could see you frying your motherboard, is if you overclocked it and didn't pay attention to the temps. As long as you don't touch the voltages, you should be fine, but don't quote me on that. I got my E6600 up to 3.6GHz, but I could not get it to run even one instance of Prime 95 without it rebooting. All the voltages on the mobo and ram timings were set to wusy's guide. However, the VCore was set to 1.52 something... might have been higher. But yea, I'm happy running it at 333 * 9 = 2997 MHz.

If you should mess up the overclock, ASUS is loving and just shuts down completely, or gets stuck on boot. All you have to do, is hold the power button to turn it off (that is, if it's stuck on POST after overclocking) and you should be fine. I've yet to open the case and reset the CMOS!

Now, just waiting for OCZ to send me a PSU that WON'T FRY MY COMPUTER!

Note: So far, ordered GameXStream 600 Watt PS from xxxxxx.com and RMA due to 12V = 12.72V with volt meter. RMA came in, exact same! Waited two weeks for what!?

OCZ is personally sending me a 700W (yes, you read right) that's been tested by them personally before sending it to me! :D 

Now, I just have to wait till Tuesday :( 

Man, I got the cables cleaned up in the case too! It's so nice! :'(  Too bad I have to redo it :evil: 

WOO! 100 POSTS! WATCH OUT WUSY! HERE I COME! :tongue:
September 15, 2006 9:21:17 PM

it looks like my stable max is 3.42

fbs at 380 ddr 776 or 733

all the voltages left at audo

i just tried 3.51 it ran for about 2 hours locked up
September 15, 2006 10:10:47 PM

CPU : E6600 @ 3.6ghz Air Cooled
RAM : OCZ 6400 Gold Gamer
VIDEO : X1900XTX
COOLER : Zalman CNPS9500 AT
MB : Asus P5W DH Deluxe
BIOS : 1401

FSB : 400
PCI-E : 101
PCI : 33
VCORE : 1.5875
vFSB : 1.3
MCH : 1.65
ICH : Auto

Memory timings set on Auto and the other 2 settings disabled.

Running at this speed on Air makes me a bit nervous see as the temps reach into the 70c+ mark when running Orthos dual prime. You will notice I only ran this for 24 seconds for this picture but ran it prevously for 2 minutes. Using PC Probe the temps are much lower mid 50's but it seems to measure external CPU temp instead of internal like Core Temp does.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=121829
October 18, 2006 1:19:36 PM

Newbie here so stay with me if i start talking jibberish....

I just got my CPU and Board yesterday and because i couldn't afford the 6700 i decided to have a go at overclocking the 6600 to a reasonable level. I've messed around with overclocking before but it was back in the days of PIII's etc so i had to find my feet again.. anyway...

CPU - E6600 with standard cooler
Ram - 2GB 6400 Gskill BHZ (record breaking ram?)
GFX Card - 512mb Radeon 1650
Board - MSI 975x Power Up Ed

In the bios i messed around with certain things and after much playing around i managed 3608.1MHz @ 1.5V

If you have this board and you want to give it a go or if you have another board and fancy it anyway here is the settings i used.

CPU Settings

FSB - 400
Voltage - 1.5V

Memory Settings

I left the Latency settings on auto
Voltage 2.2V
Ratio 1:1 (this is very important as its the reason a lot of you are having trouble booting over 3.2)

As you can imagine i don't want to be running my PC as above on standard cooling so i have settled at 1.43V, which seems to be the sweet spot, and dropped the FSB down to 375 giving me 3382.7 which is bloody rapid. With my old P4 Prescott i would be lucky to encode 2 hours of video in 2 hours 20 mins. At this setting i just encoded 2 hours 23 mins in 45 mins lol.

I ran SuperPi when i clocked it at 3.6 and managed 14.438. At the current settings i managed 15.368 which i reckon aint bad considering standard it will do it in around 20 seconds. As you will see from my screenshot i managed 14.453 on that occasion but i found it varies by +/- 0.02 each run.

Scott =op
October 18, 2006 1:38:38 PM

I could really use your guys' help and opinions here. I think I've hit a wall. NewB overclocker here, so also, bare with me. I managed to OC last nigth to about 3.1Ghz using Wusy's guide.

MY PROBLEM - temps. At 3.1Ghz, my temps reach 70C load, idle of about 42. Thats a delta of about 28. Not good. What I did to get this, was use all of Wusy's settings, but had to change my voltage to AUTO, because if I set it to 1.4V, the temps would climb into the mid-70s. SCARY. Plus, then I could only get to 3.33Ghz. I reckoned the incremental benfit of 0.2Ghz is not worth the risk of running the CPU in the 70Cs.

So guys, please help me out here. What can I do next. Using all Wusy's settings and leaving my voltage on auto, I managed to crank up the FSB as far as it would go.

Do I have any options here??? BTW - I'm using a Thermalright Ultra 120 heatsink with AS5. Crappy temps I know. I might have a dud CPU.
October 18, 2006 1:43:52 PM

Better case cooling? Gotta make sure you have adequate air flow in the case ;) 

Other than that, if I overclock to high, Windows freezes. (I get to the Windows loading screen and the bar will just constantly keep moving, but nothing ever happens :cry:  ) In the process of loading Vista... if I could find the d@mn SATA drivers for the 64 bit of Vista! :evil: 

Yes, I've tried the drivers on the CD.

Other note: If you have the extra cash, try the Thermaltake Silent Water. When E6600 overclocked to 3.0 GHz, temp never got over 57C.

My .02
October 18, 2006 1:58:21 PM

I have the Antec P180B with 4 case fans running, and 1 running on the Thermalright Ultra-120. I mean seriously, with all these cooling components, I must be doing really well.

Every review I read out there said the E6600 overclocked well to 3.4 at a minimum, and could get to 3.6Ghz on air. I THINK I HAVE BEEN DUPED. Its one thing to get to 3.4 and run full load for a minute and then shut it off ( I could even get that), but seriously, thats not really logical is it.

I've seen alot of people on the forums hitting a wall at 3.2, and that seems to be the limit if you dont want to risk the health of you CPU while still running on air cooling. I am really unhappy about this.

Any other thoughts guys. Anything I can do to bring down my temps.
October 18, 2006 1:59:33 PM

ACTUALLY, let me put it this way. What do I need to do to get my temps into the low 30s range. I will get to 3.6Ghz if I could idle at 30C.

Any ideas?
October 18, 2006 2:30:41 PM

If you have some room in your case, try building yourself a custom BTX setup. Someone did that here on the forums with a P180B case. If I remember correctly, he used the top 3 5.25 bays and drilled holes in them and mounted a 120mm fan into it and then took some tubing (the type you see in houses for AC/Heating venting) and ran it from the front fan to the processor. This person was able to get a fairly nice overclock! See if you can find it on the forums lol. I believe he goes through the details of how he set it up. Anyways... I read somewhere else that a person got to 3.6, but the vCore was 1.5875V!!! That's a little bit to high for my liking.

*sighs* Why can't we be happy with the performance already?! The E6600 clearly beats AMDs FX62!!! I'm not an AMD or Intel fanboy, I just go for the processor that is the best at the time being!
October 18, 2006 3:16:15 PM

As i said above i got 3.6 @ 1.5V but again that was a little high for my liking.

I noticed you mentioned you were installing vista. I would advise against that if your planning to moniter your OC as the programs don't work very well with Vista. I couldn't get Core Temp to work properly and i also couldn't get the CPU program to work properly. Said something about unsigned drivers or something like that.

If you are happy with your clock speed, temps etc and you don't plan on changing anything then Vista is the way to go as its a great OS but i think i'll be going back to XP for a few days so that i can monitor my core temps etc.

Scott =op
October 18, 2006 10:31:54 PM

I ran the torture test on prime95 for 8 hours 58 mins and it came back with 0 errors and 0 warnings. Is that good enough to say its stable and the cooling is ok?

Scott =op
October 19, 2006 3:50:44 AM

February 20, 2008 1:43:34 PM

hello i want to overclock my cpu
cpu e6600
main ga_965p-s3
ram 4*1 corsair ddr 2 800 xms2 5 5 5 12 without headsink
vga bfg 8800gt
cooling cooler master aqua viva
320 sata2 maxtor
570w power supply cooler master
i dont know any think about voltages for overclock to 3.6g
please help me
February 13, 2009 8:11:03 AM

hosain said:
hello i want to overclock my cpu
cpu e6600
main ga_965p-s3
ram 4*1 corsair ddr 2 800 xms2 5 5 5 12 without headsink
vga bfg 8800gt
cooling cooler master aqua viva
320 sata2 maxtor
570w power supply cooler master
i dont know any think about voltages for overclock to 3.6g
please help me

May 2, 2010 3:03:48 PM

it's a bit late but if you still have this processor try

vcore 1.55v
NB (northbridge) 1.63v
CPU PLLv 1.8v

Settings for that are
Bus frequency 400
Strap to fsb 333/400 (if you have this option)
CPU Multiplyer X9

take a look at my settings in this screen shot maybe it can be of help to you.

!