Myst Masterpiece Ed: physically unable to hit notes in spa..

Yeah, okay, so I missed out on Myst when it first came out --

but I'm having fun with it now...until I got to this frickin' musical slider
puzzle in the spaceship.

Now, I now *how* to solve the puzzle. It's *solving* the darn thing that's
driving me crraaazy! I play piano, I sing, I have good pitch given a
reference note, and with that I thought this would be a walk. Wrong! The
sliders are not subtle enough in their "notches" to hit the critical half
notes! I mean, for the first note in the sequence (middle C), I can get the
slider on B below and D above, but get it on the note I need? I tried for an
intense half hour to get the sliders on the correct notes, and I'm just about
to shrug and write off the game.

Unless someone has found a sure-fire way to get the sliders to not skip the
needed notes...? I know, it's just a game, but I did want to find out what
happened with Achenar and Sirrus before I moved on to Riven... I know many
people have had trouble with this puzzle, and I sure would like to tap someone
who found a good method of physically getting the sliders to work.

Thanks in advance --
--
/\ /\ | "I have studied many philosophers and
^o o^ D.K. "Cat" Kraft | many cats. The wisdom of cats is

D. K. Kraft wrote:
> Unless someone has found a sure-fire way to get the sliders to not
> skip the needed notes...? I know, it's just a game, but I did want to
> find out what happened with Achenar and Sirrus before I moved on to
> Riven... I know many people have had trouble with this puzzle, and I
> sure would like to tap someone who found a good method of physically
> getting the sliders to work.

It's been a long time since I played Myst, but I seem to recall you
could click on the slider once (to select it) and then use the up and
down arrow keys to make fine adjustments.
Failing that, have you tried just punching the go button with a
closest approximation? Perhaps the game isn't as sensitive as your ears.

D. K. Kraft wrote:
> The sliders are not subtle enough in their "notches" to hit the
> critical half notes! I mean, for the first note in the sequence (middle
> C), I can get the slider on B below and D above, but get it on the note
> I need? I tried for an intense half hour to get the sliders on the
> correct notes, and I'm just about to shrug and write off the game.

You might try reducing your mouse sensitivity in
Windows Control Panel, so your cursor won't move
as far for the same amount of moving the mouse.

Stephen Williams wrote:
> D. K. Kraft wrote:
>
>> Unless someone has found a sure-fire way to get the sliders to not
>> skip the needed notes...? I know, it's just a game, but I did want to
>> find out what happened with Achenar and Sirrus before I moved on to
>> Riven... I know many people have had trouble with this puzzle, and I
>> sure would like to tap someone who found a good method of physically
>> getting the sliders to work.
>

> It's been a long time since I played Myst, but I seem to recall you
> could click on the slider once (to select it) and then use the up and
> down arrow keys to make fine adjustments.
> Failing that, have you tried just punching the go button with a
> closest approximation? Perhaps the game isn't as sensitive as your ears.

I'm without any musical ability,and had read how hard it was to get
right but found I could do this! So I think you may find near enough is
OK. I believe I dragged the sliders with the mouse.

--
Carole

TRENDING THREADS