• No, nobody wants an X2 or Sempron

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Maybe if theyre lucky

Votes: 20 37.0%

• Total voters

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
That's right kiddies, on the very first page of Dell's site is the announcement that AMD X2 systems are shpping.

Linkage!

Finally with Core 2 and X2 Dell will have systems that don't sub as coffee-warmers.

HOORAY! I may buy a Dell.

J\K
:lol:

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Since AMD processors are so much cheaper now, it is highly likely that Dell will be using AMD processors in order to manufacture their PCs cheaper, but still sell them at ridiculous prices! Meaning bigger profit margins!!....

... however, that is beside the point, because... come on! Dell... using AMD processors!... its like hell has frozen over! Wait... but isn't the Norse version of Hell a frozen wasteland to begin with? ZOMG!!! D:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
When you buy a Dell you don't buy specs (they're just there to confuse you) you buy the one closest to your budget - talking about your average ain't got a clue Dell customer. Anyone who actually buys a Dell will see a price tag and nothing more than a different sticker on the box.

So my point is, it'll basically be down to whether or not Dell decide to put forth models that fit into the most common price brackets, or if they decide to just make really budget PCs.

Someone really, really cool will now look up Dell's sales reports and find some number to prove me wrong - ^^ that's just my take on this particular question.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
i looked at the dell site. the choices are crap(as usual) i no they have only started shipping with amd cpus but 4 cpu's?? why bother!

they should have been offering the top, middle and bottom cpu in each range i.e: 3000, 3500, 4000 for single core and x2 3600/x2 3800, x2 4600, x2 5000.

and still the ridiculous pricing continues.

i would only recommend a dell computer to someone if i wanted to laugh in their face afterwards

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Dell's primary business is servers & workstations. Picking up AMD is a good move as many business will continue to buy additional Opteron servers as they like to keep with the same platform they have now (Many won't start buying Intel even though Woodcrest/Clovertown might be better. They stick to the platform they are currently using until a major upgrade is required).

It also puts Dell in a postion to offer K8L when it's released next year. This could be huge for Dell (and AMD).

I agree with you on the average home buyer just buying for price. Worked for Packard Bell in the 90's. People will never learn.... :cry:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
i looked at the dell site. the choices are crap(as usual) i no they have only started shipping with amd cpus but 4 cpu's?? why bother!

they should have been offering the top, middle and bottom cpu in each range i.e: 3000, 3500, 4000 for single core and x2 3600/x2 3800, x2 4600, x2 5000.

and still the ridiculous pricing continues.

i would only recommend a dell computer to someone if i wanted to laugh in their face afterwards

You have to remeber that when people compare teh HeatBurst they had with the X2 they get, they will know it was worth it.

Looking at the configure screen they are offering an X2 3800+ with a 17" LCD for $569 or a slimline for $599. I paid more than that for my 3200+ 754 with NO monitor.

The core 2 models start even higher. They should they are worth more.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I'm sure the average Dell buyer wouldn't know if it had P4 netburst or P4 starburst in it. All they saw (and heard on the commericals) were "Intel Inside" and the chimes.

I seriously doubt Mary Buyacomputer cared if it could run Doom 3 with so much FPS, as much as she could get online to get Sally Piemaker's recipes for chili.

dduummyy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
you cant do anything hardly to upgrade a dell, id never buy one. They are great for people who dont know what theyre doing or just need a workstation. I like both processor makers, who cares whos better, thats baby crap if you ask me.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
you cant do anything hardly to upgrade a dell, id never buy one. They are great for people who dont know what theyre doing or just need a workstation. I like both processor makers, who cares whos better, thats baby crap if you ask me.

I don't care either. I would recommend Core 2 but that desn't mean I have to buy it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I'm sure the average Dell buyer wouldn't know if it had P4 netburst or P4 starburst in it. All they saw (and heard on the commericals) were "Intel Inside" and the chimes.

I seriously doubt Mary Buyacomputer cared if it could run Doom 3 with so much FPS, as much as she could get online to get Sally Piemaker's recipes for chili.

I'm talking about average use. With all of the crap in the systray you can get to 700Mb RAM real quick and the FSB of PD chokes when swapping. Mary BuyAComputer may well be running a mail order business from the house and there will be a noticeable difference.

Suzy PieMaker may have 3 kids who get tried of watching a slideshow with the case door open. I would expect Dell to be profitable in at most 2 quarters.They have lost money 4 out of 5 of the last quarters - and that's from Dell, not the Inq.

I damn near coined the phrase "take it with a grain of salt" when referring to the Inq. Maybe your ADHD is acting up so you can't remember.

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
With all of the crap in the systray you can get to 700Mb RAM real quick and the FSB of PD chokes when swapping.

That's FSCKING LIES. The FSB has NOTHING to do with SWAPPING.

I damn near coined the phrase "take it with a grain of salt" when referring to the Inq. Maybe your ADHD is acting up so you can't remember.
And I damn near coined the phrase, "640K ought to be enough for anybody.", curse that imposter Bill Gates for popularizing it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
With all of the crap in the systray you can get to 700Mb RAM real quick and the FSB of PD chokes when swapping.

That's FSCKING LIES. The FSB has NOTHING to do with SWAPPING.

And I damn near coined the phrase, "640K ought to be enough for anybody.", curse that imposter Bill Gates for popularizing it.

So if your FSB is runnign at 800MHz and you have to sawp 32MB RAM while reading from the HDD, you won't get a slowdown?

What an idiot. I use OptiCrap all the time at work and I watch it grinding as I switch back and forth. SOme devs I know have out of memory errors and we have tracked it to slow swapping and I had a 3200+ with 512MB that ran A LOT better when loading close to or above physical RAM(my work box has 1MB).

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
So if your FSB is runnign at 800MHz and you have to sawp 32MB RAM while reading from the HDD, you won't get a slowdown?
Obviously, What an idiot refers to BaronMatrix, indeed.
Apparantly, you don't understand how modern OPERATING SYSTEMS work, so don't call yourself a "dev" if you can't understand that the FSB has nothing to do with "swapping." I'll even go as far as saying that you don't understand what you wrote: "while reading from the HDD". So, what's the bottleneck: a 15000rpm SAS 130MB/sec with a 2ms latency (note: 2ms is 2000000ns) hard drive, or a 6.4GB/sec FSB (latency 200ns, generously overestimated)? Before posting sh1t in the forums, learn some background information.

What an idiot. I use OptiCrap all the time at work and I watch it grinding as I switch back and forth. SOme devs I know have out of memory errors and we have tracked it to slow swapping and I had a 3200+ with 512MB that ran A LOT better when loading close to or above physical RAM(my work box has 1MB).

Your work box has 1MB? Wow, I can see that swapping a hell of a lot, compared to a 3200+ with 512M.

SOme devs I know have out of memory errors and we have tracked it to slow swapping
What are these devs you know? 5KR1P7 K1DD13Z!!1!?!??1!?
Out of memory errors have nothing to do with the speed of swapping. :roll: :rofl:

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
That's right kiddies, on the very first page of Dell's site is the announcement that AMD X2 systems are shpping.

Linkage!

Finally with Core 2 and X2 Dell will have systems that don't sub as coffee-warmers.

J\K

I was going to post this when I noticed it a couple days back, and say that you'd be happy that they offer the X2 5000+.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Oh christ where do I begin with this.

Linkage!

Hmm. Here you claim:

I don't get excited by CPU news, only interested.

Yet you've posted two topics on it. And you sound pretty damn excited about it if you ask me.

I'm talking about average use. With all of the crap in the systray you can get to 700Mb RAM real quick and the FSB of PD chokes when swapping.

Not this FUD again, we called you out on this BS and you couldn't back up your claims. STFU and get back to mopping floors and cleaning toilets.

BaronBS thats called FUD.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You serious? I think I gotta go clean my BS detectors on that one.

Maybe you should clean your Tom's HW forum Google filter.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Linkage!

J\K

I was going to post this when I noticed it a couple days back, and say that you'd be happy that they offer the X2 5000+.

I was expecting the 3600+. Maybe that will come with the Optiplex systems due next month.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006

Linkage!

J\K
Eheh. Teh prices are ridiculous as always. My 3rd reason in my "Don't buy Dell" book. unfortunately, I made that mistake 2 years ago. Anyway, worse comp than mine=$1500. Mine only cost $1300 with a E6600, 7600GT, P5B Deluxe.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Action_Girl said

Not this FUD again, we called you out on this BS and you couldn't back up your claims. STFU and get back to mopping floors and cleaning toilets.

Quote:

BaronBS thats called FUD.

So where are your links that show that the FSB doesn't cause problems. Oh that's right, everyone knows that already. I have had devs tell me that they have LOTS of problems once they exceed physical RAM. I have seen these problems. (they should a "lick your tongue out and thumb your ears" avatar).

PWNED!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Linkage!

J\K
Eheh. Teh prices are ridiculous as always. My 3rd reason in my "Don't buy Dell" book. unfortunately, I made that mistake 2 years ago. Anyway, worse comp than mine=$1500. Mine only cost $1300 with a E6600, 7600GT, P5B Deluxe.

Maybe thats why Dell makes most of their money on volume discounts.

they should a "lick your tongue out and thumb your ears" avatar.
WTF, is this even English? FSB is still doing quite well even with 4 cores running. Yes Intel will eventual intergrate the memory controller but even they know its still to soon for a new platform launch.