opinions on system components

jjadmin

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
OK I know I am opening myself wide open to a ton of varying opinions, but here it goes. I am building a home system and am an avid gamer. My company allows me to purchase pretty much whatever I want so money really is not an object. I have usually purchased AMD procs in the past, but this time I have gone with Intels new 2.93 x6800 extreme. So, I am thinking after reading tons of reviews on both with going with Ati's X1950 XTX sli vidio cards and throwing an Ageia Physics card as well. What would be the best Motherboard for this setup. And if someone has any real life experience, should I be looking Nvidea's way. The reviews don't seem to think so. I would like a motherboard that has some quick and dirty overclock options. Any other ides would be welcome as well

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
OK I know I am opening myself wide open to a ton of varying opinions, but here it goes. I am building a home system and am an avid gamer. My company allows me to purchase pretty much whatever I want so money really is not an object. I have usually purchased AMD procs in the past, but this time I have gone with Intels new 2.93 x6800 extreme. So, I am thinking after reading tons of reviews on both with going with Ati's X1950 XTX sli vidio cards and throwing an Ageia Physics card as well. What would be the best Motherboard for this setup. And if someone has any real life experience, should I be looking Nvidea's way. The reviews don't seem to think so. I would like a motherboard that has some quick and dirty overclock options. Any other ides would be welcome as well

1) Physics cards are totally useless. Wait for ATI/Nvidis solutions there.

2) Going SLI or X-FIre with DX10 in the near future is a very bad idea. Sinking your money ($600+) into a setup that cannot even run DX10 in Windows Vista seems wasteful.

3) ATI right now all the way. Look at the X1800XT/X1900XT and spend your money on high end stuff when DX10 cards are out.