CD drive acting funny

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
The optical drive on one of my desktops is acting up. The tray opens by itself at random times, even when there is no disc in the drive. Sometimes it ejects the CD a few seconds after it has been started. The problem is intermittent. It's a Samsung combo drive. Is it time to just replace the drive? Thanks

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Is the button sticking? Also I know scripts can cause the CD/DVD drive to eject. Possibly a malware infection or code being executed by a web site. I would check to see if these could be the problem.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Is the button sticking? Also I know scripts can cause the CD/DVD drive to eject. Possibly a malware infection or code being executed by a web site. I would check to see if these could be the problem.
This is definitely possible, or even a virus. I know they used to be able to do that to your floppy drive too. make it spin randomly.

If not a virus or malware, probably just a dying drive.

KTev

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006

I would guess virus, but the priest might help.

The script to open the cd drive is so short and simple it could be just about anything. You could also try a new driver.