How much memory

How much memory is ideal for Windows XP Professional? Some people say 512mb,
and others say 1028mb.

If you had your choice, how much would you use?

If you are doing a lot of graphics work, work with videos or music files,
you should probably go for 1028. For normal functions, surfing and basic
applications, word processing, assuming you don't have a need for any great
numbers crunching app, 512 should do just fine.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> How much memory is ideal for Windows XP Professional? Some people say
> 512mb, and others say 1028mb.
>
> If you had your choice, how much would you use?

As Mark Minasi says, If you turn on the computer and the lights don't dim,
add more memory.

"W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> How much memory is ideal for Windows XP Professional? Some people say
> 512mb, and others say 1028mb.
>
> If you had your choice, how much would you use?

Hi ... 512mb is fine , If i recall all that is need is 128mb ... I myself
have 1028mb and my brother has 264mb on his machine both mine and my brother
works fine ... Though i wouldn't use anything under 264mb

"W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> How much memory is ideal for Windows XP Professional? Some people say
> 512mb, and others say 1028mb.
>
> If you had your choice, how much would you use?

null

W. Guy Delaney wrote:
> How much memory is ideal for Windows XP Professional? Some people say 512mb,
> and others say 1028mb.
>
> If you had your choice, how much would you use?

To me, 512 is the 'sweet spot' for most users.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

Additional note: With the new motherboards and hyperthreading cpu's, it
matters how you add memory if you have one these new systems.
Hyperthreading requires use of matched pairs of memory cards and that is why
you are seeing new systems with 1GB ram (matched 512MB cards). Review your
motherboard and cpu specs to see if a particular memory configuration
matters.

"W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> How much memory is ideal for Windows XP Professional? Some people say
> 512mb, and others say 1028mb.
>
> If you had your choice, how much would you use?

Jim

"W. Guy Delaney" <guyd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> How much memory is ideal for Windows XP Professional? Some people say
512mb,
> and others say 1028mb.
>
> If you had your choice, how much would you use?

I use the amount that enables my most memory hungry program to operate
reasonably well. The program happens to be Photoshop, and the amount of
memory is 512 MB.
Jim

papa

Depends on the apps. For the average user, 512 MB is more than adequate. For
those heavily into high performance games, video editing, etc., more memory
is usually required.

In news:eByFgupxEHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
W. Guy Delaney <guyd@verizon.net> typed:

> How much memory is ideal for Windows XP Professional? Some
> people say
> 512mb, and others say 1028mb.

Both those camps are wrong. There is "ideal" answer that's right
for everyone.

How much memory you need depends on what apps you run, but almost
everyone needs at least 256MB for decent performance. For some
people, for example those who edit large photographic images,
more than 256MB--even much more--can be required for good
performance.

If you are currently using the page file significantly, more
memory will decrease or eliminate that usage, and improve your
performance. If you are not using the page file significantly,
more memory will do nothing for you.

Go to http://billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/winxp%5Ftweaks/ and
download WinXP-2K_Pagefile.zip and monitor your pagefile usage.
That should give you a good idea of whether more memory can help,
and if so, how much more.

Please reply to the newsgroup