2k7zero

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
i'm not sure where to post this but i think this is the right place. now i just need some quick help on a small issue. What's the best keyboard i can get under $30?

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
A KB is a KB. What special features are you looking for?

I have been using a M$ ergo for years, works for me but my wife hates it. All personal preference.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
A KB is definitely NOT just a KB.

Sad to say, Microsoft do make damn fine keyboards (as well as mice, even though I use Logitech meeces) and it's hard to go past their "Microsoft Basic Keyboard 1.0A"

I kid you not, that's what it's called!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

Sad to say, Microsoft do make damn fine keyboards (as well as mice, even though I use Logitech meeces) and it's hard to go past their "Microsoft Basic Keyboard 1.0A"

Its Rev A because the orginal one had a bug in the keyboard driver that causes all letters to appear as @ when typing. :)

2k7zero

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
say if you were to buy one under $30 what would u get? i just like to know what is the best keyboard i can get under $30. links would be great. thanks for the responses.

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006

Should have been more specific. KB's are all feel, if it feels good under your fingers then get it, i.e. depth of stroke, resistance, sound. Since I grew up on an IBM Selectric, I like a 'heavier' feeling board.

erik_tilton

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Keytronic makes some nice and reliable keyboards in the $20 range.

I would consider theirs, if not Unicomp's expensive Model M "Customizers".

Sean618

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Cherry often boast about selling the most, are they worth it. I was going to get a cheap EZ8810 however scan went out of stock and as it is no longer with all the rest of the components the postage is going to be more than the keyboard! :x

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Go to your local computer shop. Type on a few. Pick one you like. Buy it.

There's no substitute for doing it yourself - you can't pick up a keyboard on the strength of reviews!

Personally, I'd love to get one of these;

http://www.clickykeyboard.com/ibm_chrono_gallery.htm

Used one of the original IBM buckling spring keyboards at work for about a year, and it was the most comfortable keyboard I've ever used. Made one *hell* of a racket, though