flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Didn't know where else to put this but...

What's everyone's thought on the Wii? To tell you the truth I'm actually enthusastic for a Nintendo product again. After the 64, I haven't bought a product from them. Out of the 3 consoles that are coming, it looks like the only one that will be different and exciting, the 360 and PS3 are expensive and I'd rather put that money into gaming on my PC.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I like my GC and if the Wii will play the GC’s CD's (games) I won’t think twice.
But if it doesn’t... I would have to give some consideration to an Xbox 360.

Blown_65

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Yea, I'm stoked about the Wii... I haven't owned a Nintendo system since Nintendo 64!? I was a diehard Sony guy, until they COMPLETELY dropped the ball with the PS3!!! Everything about it is wrong. I'll probably still buy one... NOT UNTIL THE FIRST PRICE DROP!! (in a year or two) Too many problems I foresee. ANYHOW, I've read somewhere that the Wii WILL play GC games and owners will also be able to go online with the Wii and download old school Nintendo games, a plus for me!! November 19th, $250... you can't beat it!!

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
It will play GC games. It will also have emulation for some SEGA games as well as 64, SNES, and NES. Not to mention wireless conectivity with the DS. I think Nintendo has a very good thing going here.

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I didn't know it could play DVDs. I read somewhere that it was using mini discs. But sweet, even another reason to want one. 8)

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I'm with you 100% there. I'm very excited about the new interface and what seems like Nintendos renewed vigor in providing gaming goodness. I also might be able to get rid of my multi-SVHS game box as well as NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, Gamecube shoved under the TV. Now if only I could get rid of the woodgrain Atari 2600 (don't laugh) and the Atari Jaguar (also don't laugh-so what I'm hardcore old-school gamer).

I know the Jaguar wasn't what it could have been but there were about 4-5 truly awesome games out on it. The amount I played Tempest 2000 alone made the system seem worth it.

Yes my original first run 2600 still works with only the occasional overheat glitches LOL. Oh I forgot the C64, if they could emulate those games too I'd have so much old-school goodness to enjoy I might have to quit my job and never leave the house(wife might frown on that tho). LOL

I might even be in line first day for a Wii. Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!!!!

dverduzco10

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I'm also looking forward to the Wii. It seems Nintendo is going to let the XBOX 360 and PS3 fight to the death with high priced games and flashy graphics, while it quitely consumes a family gaming niche. I'm going to buy one for my wife. She loves playing classic video games.

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
It appears that PS3 and XBOX 360 will have a lot of cross platform games
that are, bottom line, better on PC (tweaks, mods etc such as Oblivion). There are only so many gaming hours in the day and unless someone has a platform specific game that is a passion worth the $, maxing out the computer seems a better investment. For me, that franchise has always been the Zelda games, for which $250 is good to go, wheras $600 would
be a non starter. The little guy in the green suit gets my $ this fall.

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I havn't found any info on this but maybe someone else has. My wife and i are having an argument about the new Zelda game. She is saying it will be released and possibly bundled with the Wii. At least thats what the people at her work are saying. She works for Game Stop.

If you're talking about Twlight Princess, it will come out the same day as the Wii. As far as being bundled, probably Game Stop / EBGames will make bundles for you with a few themed games. According to Wikipedia, 21 games will be released on launch day.

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
It appears that PS3 and XBOX 360 will have a lot of cross platform games
that are, bottom line, better on PC (tweaks, mods etc such as Oblivion). There are only so many gaming hours in the day and unless someone has a platform specific game that is a passion worth the $, maxing out the computer seems a better investment. For me, that franchise has always been the Zelda games, for which $250 is good to go, wheras $600 would
be a non starter. The little guy in the green suit gets my $ this fall.

Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Smash Bros... the amount of great franchises Nintendo has is amazing. The new Metroid and Zelda games have me drooling. The Xbox 360 and PS3 won't get my money, unless with Blu-Ray the PS3 makes some huge F**k off RPG's that are just massive and have excellent gameplay.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I'm not buying my Wii to watch DVDs. That's what I have a DVD player for.

Having said that Nintendo has a great thing going here for only $250US. Microsoft and Sony may very well be outsold this time around. Personally I'm looking for some fun games..not all graphics.

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Great for inviting some friends over and just having a good time.

This to me, is what consoles gaming is supposed to be about. Having friends over, eating pizza or take out having a few beers or energy drinks and kicking each other's ass at something :lol: Not this xbox live crap. I can play games for free on my PC against others around the world, not paying a monthly fee.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I will buy one.

In fact I will preorder one as soon as that becomes an option through gamestop or amazon.

I will NOT buy a PS3

I have yet to buy a 360. I might eventually as more games that interest me come out on it, but right now... no.

I want Wii almost as much as I want Spore. (ie A LOT!)

viper84

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
This to me, is what consoles gaming is supposed to be about. Having friends over, eating pizza or take out having a few beers or energy drinks and kicking each other's ass at something Not this xbox live crap. I can play games for free on my PC against others around the world, not paying a monthly fee.

Too true...

PC for Graphics intensive stuff and online (CSS rules and as i'm sure will TM2 when it appears)

Console for having a laugh with family friends.

I bought myself a DS (used to do lots of long train journeys) it its sooooo cool. You can tell its a good product when your girlfriend nicks it coz she loves mario cart etc.... Needless to say I had to buy her one to get mine back and will def be buying a Wii coz its something everyone will b able to play.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
i think the wii is a good deal. There is no way in hell im going to pay $600 for a ps3, sorry sony i would buy one but thats asking too much. I might pay $400 for an xbox360 but i think im going to wait a while till the price drops start coming in. Im definately getting a wii on launch day... or at least im going to try. I think it will be a console worthy of my $250.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
The wii is awesome!
unfortunately, I doubt all of the previous games will be up for download. I think it'll charge you per game download as well but something like 5-10 bucks.

An example is 007 goldeneye for N64. Its highly doubtful that it will be available for download because Rare made it, and now MS bought Rare. So licensing would be practically nonexistent.. :cry:

Gotta wonder, would the Wii's interface reinvent the FPS w/ mouse and keyboard? Would it be easier to point a mouse to aim or just aim w/ your hand?

If the Wii's targeting and control system can do it, I'd be very impressed. Then the people who complain about console targeting will have no excuse! :twisted:

The 360 just doesn't have fun games and the PS3 is WAY too pricey. Then there's nintendo wii at $250... and it actually looks like it puts the fun back into having friends over and gaming.
I read somewhere that the Wii will most likely be everyone's 1st or 2nd console.... which makes it the bestselling.

Go nintendo! They're actually focusing on fun instead of breath-taking boring visual games.

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
If you want to see close to pc gaming, check out Metroid Prime 3. Since they added the new expert control scheme, I can now kick some Pirate a$$ in style. Hell, they won't even have a chance to get a shot off anymore.

The Wii for me is worth these three games alone:
Metroid Prime 3
The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros - Brawl (Solid Snake!!!)

redman2025

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I am looking foward to it but don't know if I will buy one.

I bought a Gamecube and about the only reason I got it was for Eternal Darkness. I loved that game and still do but I just wish they would make a sequel.

I bought the 64 because of Poiltwings 64 and they never have made a sequel to that either. :evil:

I just have a bad history with nintendo and the games I like. :cry:

Mad_Cow20

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
I think the Wii will be awesome!

As for me though I have all the old school games on my moded x-box LOL! Got to love the emulators!

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Out of the three systems this time the Wii is the only one that seems interesting to me. I just wish they had kept the Revolution name (I think that it would have been more sales since they are going after the common man... ) At any rate the developers are fuly backing the Wii and we all knows that pretty much means this ones all wrapped up. Sony scared off the devs with the price of the console.

No console in the past over 300$ has ever been a hit.

So yeah ill probably buy a Wii the pack in game is just that much cooler (I think I will enjoy the bowling and tennis)

Edit: Also the emulation built in (I know its only software) but they have a good list NES,SNES,N64,Game Cube, Sega Master System, Sega Genisis, NEC Turbo Graphics, Is there any more ? (BTW Turbo Grahpics had some awesome games !)

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Awesome how Nintendo should return as the king of consoles. I just hope I can get one on release day after reading around the net that so many people are going to get one too.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yes I think there will be a shortage unless Nintendo makes about 4 million of the things for the US alone.

I went to Wikkipedia and found a good deal of information on the Wii to add to the list of systems that will be emulated the MSX (I never owned one so I realy dont know what it is)

I like the controller the best (been waiting for something like this for a while now hmmmm probably since the U Force thingy)

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Well they will be shipping 5 million world wide for the release date. I beleive that about 500,000 are slatted for the US. Nintendo is shipping more units to the US the Sony will be for the PS3. So there will be a shortage in PS3 for sure.

500,000 for the US ? I dont think thats enough lol They should double it.