notquitehere188

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
i do indeed intend to overclock, max probably 2.4Ghz, but i will se how far it goes at some point

would it be worth it overclocking wise to get a gigabyte 965...-s3 board (i forget the name) for $60 more?

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
The Gigabyte might be a good idea. I'm going to look for some benches to make sure I am right in saying this, but I don't believe the nForce chipsets are renowned for their overclocking abilities...

EDIT: The ASUS P5N-SLI, tested with an X6800:
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?page=3&articleid=860&cid=3

To evaluate the Asus P5NSLI's overclocking ability, we first bumped up the CPU and memory voltages up to 1.4v and 2.1v respectively, and gave all of the other peripherals a .1v bump as well where applicable. Then we dropped our CPU's multiplier to 10x and raised the FSB frequency until the test system was no longer stable. In the end, we hit a maximum stable FSB of only 323MHz. The P5NSLI actually booted with higher FSB frequencies, but we couldn't stabilize Windows until we dropped things back down to 323MHz. Because we could not hit any excessively high FSB speeds, we were actually able to bump our CPU's multiplier back up to its default setting of 11, for a final clock speed of about 3.5GHz. Perhaps with higher memory voltage options and some BIOS tuning, Asus can improve the overclockability of the P5NSLI, but considering this is a mainstream motherboard we aren't expecting any miracles.
The 3.5GHz represents a 20% overclock. When I do the math, you could only achieve about 2.26GHz with an E6300.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Just keep in mind that 5-6 months ago everyone was raving about the dual core AMD processors as the overclocking champs. IMO, a skt 939 new build is far and away the best bang for the buck.

Sure the C2D Conroe has demonstrated great performance, but almost all of the MB's and memory are more expensive. If you want bleeding edge and bragging rights, go Conroe. If you want stable and cost effective, go AMD skt 939.

P.S. Don't believe those that caution this is a dead direction. 939 will be around for a long time.

Blown_65

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
My advice to you is... Spend the extra bit of $$ now and get a Core2Duo. I own an E6300 (stock) and I love it! I can't believe the performance of and Intel with this low of a clock speed. An overclocked X2 3800+ can't hold a candle to an overclocked Conroe. Anyhow, I would also advise getting either an Asus P5B(non-deluxe) or a Gigabyte S3 or DS3. (s3 is cheaper, only diff is solid-state caps) All 3 of these boards have proven to be excellent overclockers when paired with a Core2 chip. Just my advice.

Wow, he's right (above post) I sound like a damn salesman... I hate salesmen... He's absolutely right. Cost effective, more mature socket, better priced memory, excellent component choices... maybe I should have gone that route... 939... hmm...