Myst IV - feedback / opinions ?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 4, 2005 8:09:55 PM

All,

I have played Myst, Myst II - Riven, Myst III - Exile and now Myst IV -
Revelation.

I did NOT enjoy Myst IV like I did the others. I found the puzzles not
intuitive and not easily solvable without help / hints. The thing I always
enjoyed was the discovery of clues, the discovery of what and how needed to
be solved, finally figuring it out, and the satisfaction of solving a puzzle
and moving.

I did not get that with IV. I was blocked and frustrated way too many times
to enjoy the game. In Myst IV, I felt the puzzles were very difficult, and
put there just for the sake of having a puzzle....and not really part of the
story as in the past where the puzzles were there to get things working /
functioning (rockets, elevators, bridges, etc). By the end - I just wanted
to get through it to finish it - just so I could end it and move on (I
typically don't drop games or movies mid-way through - I always see it out
to the end).

How did others feel?

I know there is a Myst V due - plus a Myst Uru which I have not played. Any
opinions on Uru?

Any general thoughts? Opinions?

--

More about : myst feedback opinions

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:55:17 PM

riggor9999 wrote:
> All,
>
> I have played Myst, Myst II - Riven, Myst III - Exile and now Myst IV -
> Revelation.
>
> I did NOT enjoy Myst IV like I did the others. I found the puzzles not
> intuitive and not easily solvable without help / hints. The thing I always
> enjoyed was the discovery of clues, the discovery of what and how needed to
> be solved, finally figuring it out, and the satisfaction of solving a puzzle
> and moving.
>
> I did not get that with IV. I was blocked and frustrated way too many times
> to enjoy the game. In Myst IV, I felt the puzzles were very difficult, and
> put there just for the sake of having a puzzle....and not really part of the
> story as in the past where the puzzles were there to get things working /
> functioning (rockets, elevators, bridges, etc). By the end - I just wanted
> to get through it to finish it - just so I could end it and move on (I
> typically don't drop games or movies mid-way through - I always see it out
> to the end).
>
> How did others feel?
>
> I know there is a Myst V due - plus a Myst Uru which I have not played. Any
> opinions on Uru?
>
> Any general thoughts? Opinions?

I was disappointed in Myst IV too. Some of the puzzles were OK
but some of them were just a pain in the butt. The GB help forum
was full of requests for saved games from gamers who couldn't
do the "dexterity challenges" - the chair in Spire, the
Camoudiles in Haven, and the bubble transportation (or whatever
alternate puzzle you may have gotten) in Serenia. These timed
puzzles were made even worse by the way the hand cursor would
wave around while you were trying to solve them.

The other puzzles were at least solvable with a walkthrough
or hints. But a lot of them could have been better clued.
Unlike the other Myst games, I didn't feel as free to roam
around and look for clues in this game. And Serenia was a
terrible maze. I spent a lot of time wandering around trying
to find things I'd seen earlier. It was not something that
was easily mappable.

Also there was a certain priestess in Serenia who they must have
found laying out on a California beach somewhere, who made
comments like "That is so not good." Very unimmersive.

Uru is very different from Myst IV. As you've probably
heard, it's a real time 3D games and how it looks and
plays will depend on the specs of your computer.

IMO the worst things about URU are
1. It was designed as a multiplayer game and there is no true
save feature, only save points.
2. Load times are terrible and you don't just meet them at
the beginning of levels. There are places where you have to jump
across a chasm and, if you miss, your character automatically
links back to the home base in Relto. This means sitting
through two load times - one to get to Relto and another to
get back to the nearest save point to the location where you
missed your jump. Load times up to 2 minutes each have been
reported for computers at the low end of the system requirement
list. Even playing on a computer with a 3.2 GHz processor,
load times could be up to 40 seconds for some areas.

Despite these problems, I liked Uru a lot better than Myst IV.
The jumps are mostly pretty easy if you've played games with
jumping in them before. There is one exception, but it isn't
critical to finishing the game.

I think people who tried to use the mouse for moving the
character had more problems with the jumps than those who
used the keyboard. I never could get used to using the mouse
for moving around. It seemed very clumsy to me so I just
used the keyboard option.
There were some timed puzzles in Uru, but nowhere near
as difficult or fussy as the ones in Myst IV - at least
if you are used to using the keyboard for other games.

Some of the puzzles were good, but some involved a lot
of experimentation that included running back and forth.
There was one where you have to kick things into position
so you can avoid getting wet. If you don't kick them into
the right position, you'll fall in the water and have to
repeat the entire sequence, which starts with picking
something up in another world and getting it to the
linking book without being rained on (periodic rainstorms
are a weather effect in one of the worlds).
July 5, 2005 9:33:56 AM

I downloaded the UBU Demo - and I understand what you mean by slow and by
the clumsy controls.

I finished Half-Life 2 earlier this year...stunning graphics and excellent
user / control interface. Now I am spoiled and I expect the same from other
FP games .

"Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D ac7ls0bro@news2.newsguy.com...
> [...]
> character had more problems with the jumps than those who
> used the keyboard. I never could get used to using the mouse
> for moving around. It seemed very clumsy to me so I just
> used the keyboard option.
> There were some timed puzzles in Uru, but nowhere near
> as difficult or fussy as the ones in Myst IV - at least
> if you are used to using the keyboard for other games.
>
> Some of the puzzles were good, but some involved a lot
> of experimentation that included running back and forth.
> There was one where you have to kick things into position
> so you can avoid getting wet. If you don't kick them into
> the right position, you'll fall in the water and have to
> repeat the entire sequence, which starts with picking
> something up in another world and getting it to the
> linking book without being rained on (periodic rainstorms
> are a weather effect in one of the worlds).
July 6, 2005 5:07:37 PM

The great news is that Myst V addresses the two main issues with Uru.
The controls are replaced with two separate modes: node-based
point-and-click or full FPS control. Also, Rand Miller commented that
Cyan has "taken a step back" with the puzzle difficultly, so that all
players will be able to experience the entire game.

Cheers,
- Deg -
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:09:39 PM

> I know there is a Myst V due - plus a Myst Uru which I have not played.
Any
> opinions on Uru?
Im playing (or try playing) myst 4 now. I can recomment uru, although it's a
different game and feels alot different then a 'true' myst game, and i liked
it.
As for myst 4, there are things i do like (jungle/haven island, tomahna and
sirrus cold rock island) except some time based puzzles (they do not belong
in a myst game, thats my opinion) and things I have mixed feelings like
serenia (looks nice but the whole island and its puzzles are a bit too
vague). So serenia is not my favorite island, i can say after is almost
finished the game i dont like serenia at all.

gr

D.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:38:21 PM

"Deg" <abstractpenguin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The great news is that Myst V addresses the two main issues with Uru.
> The controls are replaced with two separate modes: node-based
> point-and-click or full FPS control. Also, Rand Miller commented that
> Cyan has "taken a step back" with the puzzle difficultly, so that all
> players will be able to experience the entire game.
>
> Cheers,
> - Deg -

I hope they don't make it a puzzle park like they did with Exile.
In the Myst world, the puzzle should make sense, they should be a part of
the world.
Personally, from what I've seen of Myst IV, I still like it better than
Exile, but I haven't yet played very far.

Riven is still my number one Myst game.
And URU is very close behind it but that's mostly because of the stunning
graphics, real 3d sound and the fact that it is one of the very few
first/third person 3d games which is very well playable with 3d glasses...
damn.. standing close to the great zero, looking up and seeing that huge
piece of machinery rotating. wow! :)

regards,
Marcel
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 7:18:30 AM

I have had no speed problems with URU but I have been frustrated by the
inability to save at specific points. This is particularly a problem where
jumps are necessary and it sometimes takes several attempts to get the jump
correctly lined up. Having to go back to repeat some of the jumps at a later
time is also a nuisance. For a game which is essentially the solution of a
series of puzzles (some well clued, others not) this emphasis on jumping is
a pain in the butt.
Nice graphics though and the ability to go from 1st to 3rd person views does
help.

--

Don Kelly @shawcross.ca
remove the X to answer
<riggor9999> wrote in message news:74-dnYSnY80SClTfRVn-sg@comcast.com...
> All,
>
> I have played Myst, Myst II - Riven, Myst III - Exile and now Myst IV -
> Revelation.
>
> I did NOT enjoy Myst IV like I did the others. I found the puzzles not
> intuitive and not easily solvable without help / hints. The thing I
> always enjoyed was the discovery of clues, the discovery of what and how
> needed to be solved, finally figuring it out, and the satisfaction of
> solving a puzzle and moving.
>
> I did not get that with IV. I was blocked and frustrated way too many
> times to enjoy the game. In Myst IV, I felt the puzzles were very
> difficult, and put there just for the sake of having a puzzle....and not
> really part of the story as in the past where the puzzles were there to
> get things working / functioning (rockets, elevators, bridges, etc). By
> the end - I just wanted to get through it to finish it - just so I could
> end it and move on (I typically don't drop games or movies mid-way
> through - I always see it out to the end).
>
> How did others feel?
>
> I know there is a Myst V due - plus a Myst Uru which I have not played.
> Any opinions on Uru?
>
> Any general thoughts? Opinions?
>
> --

August 25, 2005 7:06:27 PM

I HATE URU! I am just about to finish it up. To me it's been the worst in
the Myst series. I hate the jumping, I hate the lack of specific save
points, and I REALLY hate the timed puzzles. The one in the rotating room
with the machine you have to run back and forth from was so frustrating in
that I knew what had to be done but I just couldn't do it dexterily (sp?)
and ended up just putting the game away and just going back to it now. I
found a walkthrough on the web and I am just following it step by step just
to finish it and put it in the trash! I did not like this game at all.
dot

"Don Kelly" <dhky@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I have had no speed problems with URU but I have been frustrated by the
>inability to save at specific points. This is particularly a problem where
>jumps are necessary and it sometimes takes several attempts to get the jump
>correctly lined up. Having to go back to repeat some of the jumps at a
>later time is also a nuisance. For a game which is essentially the
>solution of a series of puzzles (some well clued, others not) this emphasis
>on jumping is a pain in the butt.
> Nice graphics though and the ability to go from 1st to 3rd person views
> does help.
>
> --
>
> Don Kelly @shawcross.ca
> remove the X to answer
> ----------------------------
> <riggor9999> wrote in message news:74-dnYSnY80SClTfRVn-sg@comcast.com...
>> All,
>>
>> I have played Myst, Myst II - Riven, Myst III - Exile and now Myst IV -
>> Revelation.
>>
>> I did NOT enjoy Myst IV like I did the others. I found the puzzles not
>> intuitive and not easily solvable without help / hints. The thing I
>> always enjoyed was the discovery of clues, the discovery of what and how
>> needed to be solved, finally figuring it out, and the satisfaction of
>> solving a puzzle and moving.
>>
>> I did not get that with IV. I was blocked and frustrated way too many
>> times to enjoy the game. In Myst IV, I felt the puzzles were very
>> difficult, and put there just for the sake of having a puzzle....and not
>> really part of the story as in the past where the puzzles were there to
>> get things working / functioning (rockets, elevators, bridges, etc). By
>> the end - I just wanted to get through it to finish it - just so I could
>> end it and move on (I typically don't drop games or movies mid-way
>> through - I always see it out to the end).
>>
>> How did others feel?
>>
>> I know there is a Myst V due - plus a Myst Uru which I have not played.
>> Any opinions on Uru?
>>
>> Any general thoughts? Opinions?
>>
>> --

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:16:37 AM

Don Kelly wrote:
> I have had no speed problems with URU but I have been frustrated by the
> inability to save at specific points. This is particularly a problem where
> jumps are necessary and it sometimes takes several attempts to get the jump
> correctly lined up. Having to go back to repeat some of the jumps at a later
> time is also a nuisance. For a game which is essentially the solution of a
> series of puzzles (some well clued, others not) this emphasis on jumping is
> a pain in the butt.
> Nice graphics though and the ability to go from 1st to 3rd person views does
> help.

Yes the lack of a save was one of Uru's 2 worst features.
The other was the nasty load times. Every missed jump meant
two load times because you couldn't save. You had to go back
to Relto and run around to where you missed the jump before
you could try again.

Uru really didn't have much jumping in it at all, but the
way you had to wait around for two long loads every time
you missed a jump made it seem like much more.

Kicking those wooden things around so you could walk over
water without losing your fireflies was tricky too. But not
as bad as those @#%$! bubble things in Myst IV.
!