Myst IV - feedback / opinions ?

All,

I have played Myst, Myst II - Riven, Myst III - Exile and now Myst IV -
Revelation.

I did NOT enjoy Myst IV like I did the others. I found the puzzles not
intuitive and not easily solvable without help / hints. The thing I always
enjoyed was the discovery of clues, the discovery of what and how needed to
be solved, finally figuring it out, and the satisfaction of solving a puzzle
and moving.

I did not get that with IV. I was blocked and frustrated way too many times
to enjoy the game. In Myst IV, I felt the puzzles were very difficult, and
put there just for the sake of having a puzzle....and not really part of the
story as in the past where the puzzles were there to get things working /
functioning (rockets, elevators, bridges, etc). By the end - I just wanted
to get through it to finish it - just so I could end it and move on (I
typically don't drop games or movies mid-way through - I always see it out
to the end).

How did others feel?

I know there is a Myst V due - plus a Myst Uru which I have not played. Any
opinions on Uru?

Any general thoughts? Opinions?

More about myst feedback opinions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    riggor9999 wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I have played Myst, Myst II - Riven, Myst III - Exile and now Myst IV -
    > Revelation.
    >
    > I did NOT enjoy Myst IV like I did the others. I found the puzzles not
    > intuitive and not easily solvable without help / hints. The thing I always
    > enjoyed was the discovery of clues, the discovery of what and how needed to
    > be solved, finally figuring it out, and the satisfaction of solving a puzzle
    > and moving.
    >
    > I did not get that with IV. I was blocked and frustrated way too many times
    > to enjoy the game. In Myst IV, I felt the puzzles were very difficult, and
    > put there just for the sake of having a puzzle....and not really part of the
    > story as in the past where the puzzles were there to get things working /
    > functioning (rockets, elevators, bridges, etc). By the end - I just wanted
    > to get through it to finish it - just so I could end it and move on (I
    > typically don't drop games or movies mid-way through - I always see it out
    > to the end).
    >
    > How did others feel?
    >
    > I know there is a Myst V due - plus a Myst Uru which I have not played. Any
    > opinions on Uru?
    >
    > Any general thoughts? Opinions?

    I was disappointed in Myst IV too. Some of the puzzles were OK
    but some of them were just a pain in the butt. The GB help forum
    was full of requests for saved games from gamers who couldn't
    do the "dexterity challenges" - the chair in Spire, the
    Camoudiles in Haven, and the bubble transportation (or whatever
    alternate puzzle you may have gotten) in Serenia. These timed
    puzzles were made even worse by the way the hand cursor would
    wave around while you were trying to solve them.

    The other puzzles were at least solvable with a walkthrough
    or hints. But a lot of them could have been better clued.
    Unlike the other Myst games, I didn't feel as free to roam
    around and look for clues in this game. And Serenia was a
    terrible maze. I spent a lot of time wandering around trying
    to find things I'd seen earlier. It was not something that
    was easily mappable.

    Also there was a certain priestess in Serenia who they must have
    found laying out on a California beach somewhere, who made
    comments like "That is so not good." Very unimmersive.

    Uru is very different from Myst IV. As you've probably
    heard, it's a real time 3D games and how it looks and
    plays will depend on the specs of your computer.

    IMO the worst things about URU are
    1. It was designed as a multiplayer game and there is no true
    save feature, only save points.
    2. Load times are terrible and you don't just meet them at
    the beginning of levels. There are places where you have to jump
    across a chasm and, if you miss, your character automatically
    links back to the home base in Relto. This means sitting
    through two load times - one to get to Relto and another to
    get back to the nearest save point to the location where you
    missed your jump. Load times up to 2 minutes each have been
    reported for computers at the low end of the system requirement
    list. Even playing on a computer with a 3.2 GHz processor,
    load times could be up to 40 seconds for some areas.

    Despite these problems, I liked Uru a lot better than Myst IV.
    The jumps are mostly pretty easy if you've played games with
    jumping in them before. There is one exception, but it isn't
    critical to finishing the game.

    I think people who tried to use the mouse for moving the
    character had more problems with the jumps than those who
    used the keyboard. I never could get used to using the mouse
    for moving around. It seemed very clumsy to me so I just
    used the keyboard option.
    There were some timed puzzles in Uru, but nowhere near
    as difficult or fussy as the ones in Myst IV - at least
    if you are used to using the keyboard for other games.

    Some of the puzzles were good, but some involved a lot
    of experimentation that included running back and forth.
    There was one where you have to kick things into position
    so you can avoid getting wet. If you don't kick them into
    the right position, you'll fall in the water and have to
    repeat the entire sequence, which starts with picking
    something up in another world and getting it to the
    linking book without being rained on (periodic rainstorms
    are a weather effect in one of the worlds).
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    I downloaded the UBU Demo - and I understand what you mean by slow and by
    the clumsy controls.

    I finished Half-Life 2 earlier this year...stunning graphics and excellent
    user / control interface. Now I am spoiled and I expect the same from other
    FP games .

    "Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > character had more problems with the jumps than those who
    > used the keyboard. I never could get used to using the mouse
    > for moving around. It seemed very clumsy to me so I just
    > used the keyboard option.
    > There were some timed puzzles in Uru, but nowhere near
    > as difficult or fussy as the ones in Myst IV - at least
    > if you are used to using the keyboard for other games.
    >
    > Some of the puzzles were good, but some involved a lot
    > of experimentation that included running back and forth.
    > There was one where you have to kick things into position
    > so you can avoid getting wet. If you don't kick them into
    > the right position, you'll fall in the water and have to
    > repeat the entire sequence, which starts with picking
    > something up in another world and getting it to the
    > linking book without being rained on (periodic rainstorms
    > are a weather effect in one of the worlds).
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    The great news is that Myst V addresses the two main issues with Uru.
    The controls are replaced with two separate modes: node-based
    point-and-click or full FPS control. Also, Rand Miller commented that
    Cyan has "taken a step back" with the puzzle difficultly, so that all
    players will be able to experience the entire game.

    Cheers,
    - Deg -
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    > I know there is a Myst V due - plus a Myst Uru which I have not played.
    Any
    > opinions on Uru?
    Im playing (or try playing) myst 4 now. I can recomment uru, although it's a
    different game and feels alot different then a 'true' myst game, and i liked
    it.
    As for myst 4, there are things i do like (jungle/haven island, tomahna and
    sirrus cold rock island) except some time based puzzles (they do not belong
    in a myst game, thats my opinion) and things I have mixed feelings like
    serenia (looks nice but the whole island and its puzzles are a bit too
    vague). So serenia is not my favorite island, i can say after is almost
    finished the game i dont like serenia at all.

    gr

    D.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Deg" <abstractpenguin@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > The great news is that Myst V addresses the two main issues with Uru.
    > The controls are replaced with two separate modes: node-based
    > point-and-click or full FPS control. Also, Rand Miller commented that
    > Cyan has "taken a step back" with the puzzle difficultly, so that all
    > players will be able to experience the entire game.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > - Deg -

    I hope they don't make it a puzzle park like they did with Exile.
    In the Myst world, the puzzle should make sense, they should be a part of
    the world.
    Personally, from what I've seen of Myst IV, I still like it better than
    Exile, but I haven't yet played very far.

    Riven is still my number one Myst game.
    And URU is very close behind it but that's mostly because of the stunning
    graphics, real 3d sound and the fact that it is one of the very few
    first/third person 3d games which is very well playable with 3d glasses...
    damn.. standing close to the great zero, looking up and seeing that huge
    piece of machinery rotating. wow! :)

    regards,
    Marcel
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    I have had no speed problems with URU but I have been frustrated by the
    inability to save at specific points. This is particularly a problem where
    jumps are necessary and it sometimes takes several attempts to get the jump
    correctly lined up. Having to go back to repeat some of the jumps at a later
    time is also a nuisance. For a game which is essentially the solution of a
    series of puzzles (some well clued, others not) this emphasis on jumping is
    a pain in the butt.
    Nice graphics though and the ability to go from 1st to 3rd person views does
    help.

    --

    Don Kelly @shawcross.ca
    remove the X to answer
    <riggor9999> wrote in message news:74-dnYSnY80SClTfRVn-sg@comcast.com...
    > All,
    >
    > I have played Myst, Myst II - Riven, Myst III - Exile and now Myst IV -
    > Revelation.
    >
    > I did NOT enjoy Myst IV like I did the others. I found the puzzles not
    > intuitive and not easily solvable without help / hints. The thing I
    > always enjoyed was the discovery of clues, the discovery of what and how
    > needed to be solved, finally figuring it out, and the satisfaction of
    > solving a puzzle and moving.
    >
    > I did not get that with IV. I was blocked and frustrated way too many
    > times to enjoy the game. In Myst IV, I felt the puzzles were very
    > difficult, and put there just for the sake of having a puzzle....and not
    > really part of the story as in the past where the puzzles were there to
    > get things working / functioning (rockets, elevators, bridges, etc). By
    > the end - I just wanted to get through it to finish it - just so I could
    > end it and move on (I typically don't drop games or movies mid-way
    > through - I always see it out to the end).
    >
    > How did others feel?
    >
    > I know there is a Myst V due - plus a Myst Uru which I have not played.
    > Any opinions on Uru?
    >
    > Any general thoughts? Opinions?
    >
    > --

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    I HATE URU! I am just about to finish it up. To me it's been the worst in
    the Myst series. I hate the jumping, I hate the lack of specific save
    points, and I REALLY hate the timed puzzles. The one in the rotating room
    with the machine you have to run back and forth from was so frustrating in
    that I knew what had to be done but I just couldn't do it dexterily (sp?)
    and ended up just putting the game away and just going back to it now. I
    found a walkthrough on the web and I am just following it step by step just
    to finish it and put it in the trash! I did not like this game at all.
    dot

    "Don Kelly" <dhky@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I have had no speed problems with URU but I have been frustrated by the
    >inability to save at specific points. This is particularly a problem where
    >jumps are necessary and it sometimes takes several attempts to get the jump
    >correctly lined up. Having to go back to repeat some of the jumps at a
    >later time is also a nuisance. For a game which is essentially the
    >solution of a series of puzzles (some well clued, others not) this emphasis
    >on jumping is a pain in the butt.
    > Nice graphics though and the ability to go from 1st to 3rd person views
    > does help.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Don Kelly @shawcross.ca
    > remove the X to answer
    > ----------------------------
    > <riggor9999> wrote in message news:74-dnYSnY80SClTfRVn-sg@comcast.com...
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I have played Myst, Myst II - Riven, Myst III - Exile and now Myst IV -
    >> Revelation.
    >>
    >> I did NOT enjoy Myst IV like I did the others. I found the puzzles not
    >> intuitive and not easily solvable without help / hints. The thing I
    >> always enjoyed was the discovery of clues, the discovery of what and how
    >> needed to be solved, finally figuring it out, and the satisfaction of
    >> solving a puzzle and moving.
    >>
    >> I did not get that with IV. I was blocked and frustrated way too many
    >> times to enjoy the game. In Myst IV, I felt the puzzles were very
    >> difficult, and put there just for the sake of having a puzzle....and not
    >> really part of the story as in the past where the puzzles were there to
    >> get things working / functioning (rockets, elevators, bridges, etc). By
    >> the end - I just wanted to get through it to finish it - just so I could
    >> end it and move on (I typically don't drop games or movies mid-way
    >> through - I always see it out to the end).
    >>
    >> How did others feel?
    >>
    >> I know there is a Myst V due - plus a Myst Uru which I have not played.
    >> Any opinions on Uru?
    >>
    >> Any general thoughts? Opinions?
    >>
    >> --

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Don Kelly wrote:
    > I have had no speed problems with URU but I have been frustrated by the
    > inability to save at specific points. This is particularly a problem where
    > jumps are necessary and it sometimes takes several attempts to get the jump
    > correctly lined up. Having to go back to repeat some of the jumps at a later
    > time is also a nuisance. For a game which is essentially the solution of a
    > series of puzzles (some well clued, others not) this emphasis on jumping is
    > a pain in the butt.
    > Nice graphics though and the ability to go from 1st to 3rd person views does
    > help.

    Yes the lack of a save was one of Uru's 2 worst features.
    The other was the nasty load times. Every missed jump meant
    two load times because you couldn't save. You had to go back
    to Relto and run around to where you missed the jump before
    you could try again.

    Uru really didn't have much jumping in it at all, but the
    way you had to wait around for two long loads every time
    you missed a jump made it seem like much more.

    Kicking those wooden things around so you could walk over
    water without losing your fireflies was tricky too. But not
    as bad as those @#%$! bubble things in Myst IV.

Games Video Games