Lost printer functions on network

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 2, 2005 3:40:19 PM

Hi -

I have a HP Deskjet 970 attached to a win 98 machine. No problems. I
recently bought a win xp machine and networked it to the 98 machine. No
problems.

I shared the printer, leaving it attached to the win98 machine; the XP
machine found it, loaded its own driver, and I can print just fine. No
networking problems at all.

But ... on the Win XP machine, when I choose print setup, some of the
functions are missing, not greyed out, not unavailable, but missing. On
the general page it lists the 970 as having double-sided printing, for
example, but doesn't offer it in the 'advanced' page. Nor does it offer
multiple pages on one.

Presumably I have to install another driver, but I know these HP
installations :-{{ - it will demand that I attached the printer to the
machine, and all sorts of things will go wrong... The HP970 is a very
fussy machine to install.

But I'd like to access its comprehensive features on my network. Any
ideas?

TIA

Tony
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:20:43 PM

In article <ML8xOaDAnDGDFwWd@BTOpenworld.com>, tonystanford@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

> But ... on the Win XP machine, when I choose print setup, some of the
> functions are missing, not greyed out, not unavailable, but missing. On
> the general page it lists the 970 as having double-sided printing, for
> example, but doesn't offer it in the 'advanced' page. Nor does it offer
> multiple pages on one.
>
> Presumably I have to install another driver, but I know these HP
> installations :-{{ - it will demand that I attached the printer to the
> machine, and all sorts of things will go wrong... The HP970 is a very
> fussy machine to install.

Tony-

Which "print setup" are you refering to? If it is in the printing menu,
it may not be the right one.

I don't have a Windows machine here to check, but ran into this problem on
the machines at work. Look for your printer's properties in the hardware
control panels. Even if you find another driver, the duplex capability
etc. has to be enabled at the installation phase, or it won't even show up
when you go to print.

Fred
September 2, 2005 7:35:40 PM

In article <ML8xOaDAnDGDFwWd@BTOpenworld.com>,
tonystanford@hotmail.co.uk says...

> Hi -
>
> I have a HP Deskjet 970 attached to a win 98 machine. No problems. I
> recently bought a win xp machine and networked it to the 98 machine. No
> problems.
>
> I shared the printer, leaving it attached to the win98 machine; the XP
> machine found it, loaded its own driver, and I can print just fine. No
> networking problems at all.
>
> But ... on the Win XP machine, when I choose print setup, some of the
> functions are missing, not greyed out, not unavailable, but missing. On
> the general page it lists the 970 as having double-sided printing, for
> example, but doesn't offer it in the 'advanced' page. Nor does it offer
> multiple pages on one.
>
> Presumably I have to install another driver, but I know these HP
> installations :-{{ - it will demand that I attached the printer to the
> machine, and all sorts of things will go wrong... The HP970 is a very
> fussy machine to install.
>
> But I'd like to access its comprehensive features on my network. Any
> ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> Tony

I invested all of £7 in a print server and network hub on eBay. Now
whatever printer I use can easily be seen by any of my computers.
September 2, 2005 9:20:03 PM

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005,15:35:40, Livewire wrote

>I invested all of £7 in a print server and network hub on eBay. Now
>whatever printer I use can easily be seen by any of my computers.

Thanks for the reply, but I can see the printer. The Win xp driver
doesn't offer me all the facilities that the original hp driver does.
That would be the same with or without a hub, unfortunately.

Tony
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 10:25:18 PM

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005,12:20:43, Fred McKenzie wrote

>Which "print setup" are you refering to? If it is in the printing menu,
>it may not be the right one.

I mean when you are in a program. Choose file/print then choose your
printer on the network. When I get to the menu for the HP970 it doesn't
offer me duplex.

It's OK, I found some stuff on ms website and HP's. The drivers in Win
XP are microsoft's and do not necessarily offer all the properties of
the original manufacturer's. You have to reinstall the printer on the
client machines, too. I just wonder if anyone had done this. The HP970
is rather awkward and 'sensitive' to install.

Thanks for the reply.

Tony
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:34:25 AM

In article <6hZcUTAWjJGDFwzJ@BTOpenworld.com>, tonystanford@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

> I mean when you are in a program. Choose file/print then choose your
> printer on the network. When I get to the menu for the HP970 it doesn't
> offer me duplex.

Tony-

That is the "printing menu" I refered to. It will not show all the
options unless they are enabled in the hardware properties for the
printer.

Perhaps you do need an HP printer driver, but you may not. If you can't
find the hardware properties for the printer, try re-installing the
printer and keeping an eye out for the options you need during the
installation process. You would have to do this for an HP driver as well.

Fred
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 2:23:39 AM

I think we are talking at cross purposes. All the hardware properties
for the printer *are* enable on the local machine to which it is
connected. I print using these properties every day.

But the properties are not all available from other machines on the
network, although I can print from them.

Tony

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005,20:34:25, Fred McKenzie wrote

>In article <6hZcUTAWjJGDFwzJ@BTOpenworld.com>,
>tonystanford@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
>
>> I mean when you are in a program. Choose file/print then choose your
>> printer on the network. When I get to the menu for the HP970 it doesn't
>> offer me duplex.
>
>Tony-
>
>That is the "printing menu" I refered to. It will not show all the
>options unless they are enabled in the hardware properties for the
>printer.
>
>Perhaps you do need an HP printer driver, but you may not. If you can't
>find the hardware properties for the printer, try re-installing the
>printer and keeping an eye out for the options you need during the
>installation process. You would have to do this for an HP driver as well.
>
>Fred
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:29:00 AM

In article <xZieqJB7+hGDFwQ6@BTOpenworld.com>, tonystanford@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

> I think we are talking at cross purposes. All the hardware properties
> for the printer *are* enable on the local machine to which it is
> connected. I print using these properties every day.
>
> But the properties are not all available from other machines on the
> network, although I can print from them.

Tony-

It should be obvious I'm not an expert on this, especially with regard to
Windows machines. I had hoped someone more knowledgeable would correct
me, but no one seems to be responding.

I'm refering to hardware properties for the other machines that do not
have the options enabled. Therefore they do not appear in their printing
menus. I'm assuming they could have been enabled, which may not be true
with the Microsoft drivers.

Since I do not have a Windows machine handy, I can't give you the
specifics. As I recall, there is a control panels area that lets you
install new hardware such as a printer that is connected to a different
host computer. It also should let you change the properties of previous
installations.

The example I'm familiar with is the duplex option on machines where I
worked. It didn't get enabled by default and didn't show up in the print
menu unless it had been enabled during installation. We were using the
CDs that came with three different HP printers, to do the installation
(HP4200DTN, HP4600DN and HP8150DTN). The HP4600DN was connected via
Ethernet to a server machine located in another building. The other two
were connected directly via Ethernet to their JetDirect built-in servers.

Fred
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:11:32 PM

Tony,
Even though you have the printer on a "home" network. The set-up may be considered by HP, is that the printer is in a "corporate environment". So that many of the advance features are not available, on client machines of the network. And may be only allowed for the Host machine, directly connected to the printer.

Make sure that you download & install the "FULL Feature" XP driver from:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&...

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Fred McKenzie" <fmmck@aol.com> wrote in message news:fmmck-0409050029000001@aca40dae.ipt.aol.com...
In article <xZieqJB7+hGDFwQ6@BTOpenworld.com>, tonystanford@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

> I think we are talking at cross purposes. All the hardware properties
> for the printer *are* enable on the local machine to which it is
> connected. I print using these properties every day.
>
> But the properties are not all available from other machines on the
> network, although I can print from them.

Tony-

It should be obvious I'm not an expert on this, especially with regard to
Windows machines. I had hoped someone more knowledgeable would correct
me, but no one seems to be responding.

I'm refering to hardware properties for the other machines that do not
have the options enabled. Therefore they do not appear in their printing
menus. I'm assuming they could have been enabled, which may not be true
with the Microsoft drivers.

Since I do not have a Windows machine handy, I can't give you the
specifics. As I recall, there is a control panels area that lets you
install new hardware such as a printer that is connected to a different
host computer. It also should let you change the properties of previous
installations.

The example I'm familiar with is the duplex option on machines where I
worked. It didn't get enabled by default and didn't show up in the print
menu unless it had been enabled during installation. We were using the
CDs that came with three different HP printers, to do the installation
(HP4200DTN, HP4600DN and HP8150DTN). The HP4600DN was connected via
Ethernet to a server machine located in another building. The other two
were connected directly via Ethernet to their JetDirect built-in servers.

Fred
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 7:07:43 PM

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005,08:11:32, RRR_News wrote

>Tony,
>Even though you have the printer on a "home" network. The set-up may be
>considered by HP, is that the printer is in a "corporate environment".
>So that many of the advance features are not available, on client
>machines of the network. And may be only allowed for the Host machine,
>directly connected to the printer.
>

>Make sure that you download & install the "FULL Feature" XP driver from:
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&...
>97&lang=en&cc=uk&os=228

Yes, I thought it would be something like that. My only reservation is
that if I do this, the HP installer will expect the printer to be
connected to the client machine. There's a point in every installation
where the installer says, 'No connect your printer...' and waits till it
does. Would it accept a network connection?

And, like a lot of people, I've found that the HP970 installer can be
very obstinate about recognising that a printer is plugged in - had no
end of problems when I updated the driver on the host machine.

Anyway, I'll take your advice. I have a similar problem with my HP 5P
laser printer, but HP don't offer a Win XP driver for that aged beast,
so I'm forced to use the limited one they supply in Win XP, I suppose I
could try installing the Win 98 5P driver on the XP machine.

Thanks.

Tony
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:00:24 PM

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005,08:11:32, RRR_News wrote

>Make sure that you download & install the "FULL Feature" XP driver from:

[snip]

Took your advice, all worked perfectly and the lost functions, not
available through the generic XP driver, are restored. Thanks.

Tony
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:40:12 AM

Tony,