removing OS

I tried reinstalling xp home edition after experiencing some issues. Gone
thru the setup process and installed it succesfully but as a 2nd OS. At
start-up i now have 2 XP OS two choose from. The newly installed version is
working like it should, but how to i get rid of the original version to free
up space on my harddrive?
If i have to remove both to format my hard drive and reinstall it again - i
dont mind, i just need some advice on how to go about it.

If anyone have any ideas, please advise

Many thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about removing

    The usual procedure is to boot into the one you want, delete all folders of
    the 'other' one, edit boot.ini to remove the reference to the one deleted,
    reboot and you're done.

    "blitz" <blitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I tried reinstalling xp home edition after experiencing some issues. Gone
    > thru the setup process and installed it succesfully but as a 2nd OS. At
    > start-up i now have 2 XP OS two choose from. The newly installed version
    > is
    > working like it should, but how to i get rid of the original version to
    > free
    > up space on my harddrive?
    > If i have to remove both to format my hard drive and reinstall it again -
    > dont mind, i just need some advice on how to go about it.
    >
    > If anyone have any ideas, please advise
    >
    > Many thanks

    Thx for the response Jerry.
    I did boot into the one want, but before i start deleting how do i now
    excactly what all references are to the old one.
    This is what my ini file looks like:

    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect

    The 2nd one is the one i want. After booting into the one i want, i look at
    my c drive and see a winnt folder, windows folder, doc & settings folder with
    users from both systems, I386 folder, OEMDRVRS folder, program files folder.
    How do i know what reference to old system?

    Thx again

    > Thx for the response Jerry.
    > I did boot into the one want, but before i start deleting how do i now
    > excactly what all references are to the old one.
    > This is what my ini file looks like:
    >
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect
    >
    > The 2nd one is the one i want. After booting into the one i want, i look
    > at
    > my c drive and see a winnt folder, windows folder, doc & settings folder
    > with
    > users from both systems, I386 folder, OEMDRVRS folder, program files
    > folder.
    > How do i know what reference to old system?

    re-check your boot.ini and re-post
    you have only one installation referenced

    Searced for the boot.ini and the only file i found was boot.ini backup and it
    looks like this:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect

    If restart i am presented with 2 OS, both XP original and the one
    reinstalled, how do i get rid the original and free up diskspace? If i boot
    into the one i want , how do i know what to delete on harddrive that
    reference to the original?

    Thx

    > Searced for the boot.ini and the only file i found was boot.ini backup and
    > it
    > looks like this:
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect
    >
    > If restart i am presented with 2 OS, both XP original and the one
    > reinstalled, how do i get rid the original and free up diskspace? If i
    > boot
    > into the one i want , how do i know what to delete on harddrive that
    > reference to the original?

    for two choices upon bootup
    there would need to be two choices in boot.ini

    see this link for examples:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022#Task3

    Hi, Blitz.

    As Philo says, the boot.ini file you posted has only ONE installation shown
    under [operating systems]. You must be showing us the wrong Boot.ini file.
    You can have dozens of Boot.ini files scattered all around your computer,
    but the only one that matters is the one in the Root of the System
    Partition - almost always C:\boot.ini.

    C:\boot.ini should be Hidden, System and Read-only. This means that it
    won't show up in Windows Explorer unless you've gone to Folder Options and
    changed the default settings. An easy way to be sure that you are looking
    at the correct Boot.ini is to go to System Properties | Advanced | Startup
    and Recovery Settings and click the Edit button. This opens C:\boot.ini in
    Notepad so that you can edit it and save your changes without dealing with
    the HSR attributes.

    In C:\Boot.ini, ALL your possible choices are listed under [operating
    systems]. Your default choice is listed under [boot loader]. Each
    installation's location is shown by HDD and partition NUMBER, rather than by
    drive letter. Physical hard disks are shown as rdisk(#), with numbers
    starting at zero; partitions are numbered starting with one on each HDD. So
    the boot.ini file you posted shows only one WinXP, in the \WINNT folder on
    rdisk(0)partition(1) - the first partition on your first physical drive. So
    the default (and only possible) WinXP booted from THIS version of Boot.ini
    would be the one in C:\WINNT.

    By the way, the default name for the WinXP "boot folder" is \Windows UNLESS
    you upgraded to WinXP from Win2K or WinNT4, in which case it would have
    inherited the \WINNT name from the previous Windows version. That is, a
    clean install goes into X:\Windows; an upgrade into X:\WINNT, where X: is
    whichever disk volume you specified during WinXP Setup. This may help you
    determine which installation you want to keep - when you find the second
    version in C:\Boot.ini.

    Once you've found the "wrong" version, delete its boot folder entirely; this
    should get rid of the hundreds of megabytes of files and subdirectory
    structure. If WinXP won't let you delete \WINNT, that means you are trying
    to delete the one that is currently running - and WinXP will refuse to
    commit suicide. So, find and delete the other \Windows or \WINNT.

    No need to reformat, either before or after this, but you probably will want
    to empty the Recycle Bin and then defragment, just to keep your hard drive
    neat and tidy.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "blitz" <blitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thx for the response Jerry.
    > I did boot into the one want, but before i start deleting how do i now
    > excactly what all references are to the old one.
    > This is what my ini file looks like:
    >
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect
    >
    > The 2nd one is the one i want. After booting into the one i want, i look
    > at
    > my c drive and see a winnt folder, windows folder, doc & settings folder
    > with
    > users from both systems, I386 folder, OEMDRVRS folder, program files
    > folder.
    > How do i know what reference to old system?
    >
    > Thx again
    >

    > "Jerry" wrote:
    >
    >> The usual procedure is to boot into the one you want, delete all folders
    >> of
    >> the 'other' one, edit boot.ini to remove the reference to the one
    >> deleted,
    >> reboot and you're done.
    >>
    >> "blitz" <blitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I tried reinstalling xp home edition after experiencing some issues.
    >> >Gone
    >> > thru the setup process and installed it succesfully but as a 2nd OS. At
    >> > start-up i now have 2 XP OS two choose from. The newly installed
    >> > version
    >> > is
    >> > working like it should, but how to i get rid of the original version to
    >> > free
    >> > up space on my harddrive?
    >> > If i have to remove both to format my hard drive and reinstall it
    >> > again -
    >> > dont mind, i just need some advice on how to go about it.
    >> >
    >> > If anyone have any ideas, please advise
    >> >
    >> > Many thanks

Hard Drives Windows XP