PC freeze up with new SATA HDD installed

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Western Digital
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 15, 2006 3:10:29 AM

I recently installed a Western Digital 250 GB SATA hard drive into a Pentium III 550 Mhz PC.

In order for the SATA hard drive to work in the old computer I installed a SATA RAID 2 Port PCI controller.

The WD disk scan diagnostic did not turn up any issues with the SATA hard drive.

Windows XP detected the SATA hard drive with no issues.

When I start to move a lot of files from the existing IDE 20 GB Maxtor to the WD SATA hard drive the computer freezes up.

When I move a single file from the Maxtor hard drive to the WD drive, the issue does not error.

There's no BSOD given so I don't know what could be causing the issue.

Chkdsk does not indicate any issues.

Are there any know issues with moving files from an IDE to a SATA drive?

More about : freeze sata hdd installed

September 15, 2006 3:23:43 AM

What's the make of PCI card? I only ask because I've had similar problems with a Newlink card, changed it and all was once again groovy in my twisted little corner.
September 15, 2006 4:09:27 AM

Sounds to me like you have an irq conflict.
Related resources
September 15, 2006 5:36:27 PM

Have not seen that make before but the chipset is one that's used by Abit and I've not had a problem (yet), has the WD drive got any jumpers on it to allow you to switch between SATA I & II? if so forcing SATA I mode might help as the host card is SATA I if that's not possible/dos'nt cure it I would try the card & HDD on another machine if that's possible failing that try and RMA the card first (cheaper option) second would be to find a machine with onboard SATA ports and plug the WD HDD into one to see if the problem follows the drive. Not a quickfire solution I know but I can't think of anything else right now sorry.
September 16, 2006 4:33:24 AM

Checked your irqs ? You have installed a pci card. It will need a irq, normally a dedicated irq although some cards can share most cannot.
With so much stuff on MBs these days requiring an irq this does happen quite a bit.

Try checking your irqs to see if there is conclict, this is basic shit anyone installing cards should know already.

Go to device manager, choose view resources by type and make sure nothing else is using that irq.

If something is you can try another pci slot or you can try changing the irq settings in your bios. Each mb is different there so youll have to figure it out.

An example.
When I got my athlon slot-a 500mhz wayyy back when they first came out I was sharing my directory with my mp3s on my local network.
If I was listening to music on my sb live! and my brother tried to get a file from me my computer would reboot since there was an irq conflict.
Needless to say I quickly fixed that.
September 18, 2006 4:37:28 PM

I figured out the problem.

It's capability issue between the SATA 1.0 controller and the SATA 2.0 hard drive. The speed has to be throttle down.
!