doing you see needing more then 2 gig memory possible??

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
Okay guys, question to help me solve a issue in buying a motherboard. Okay im still on socket 754 board, but im switching to pci express 16x in november. the problem is im having a hard time finding a socket 754 board that has max memory allowed up to 3 gigs, as well as have a good product rating on the motherboard. Alot of the Mobos that holds up to 2 gig max have good reviews on newegg, but not visa versa. So my question, if i bought the mobo it would only be used for about a year then ill switch to 939 in the end of 2007. Do you guys forsee games needing more the 2 gig of ram , for there Recomendations requirments to play a game untill the end of next year? The only reason im not going straight to socket 939 is because i dont want to have to buy a new cpu to. If you think 2 gig will be enough, now in this answer dont put online games as a choice for we dont play any of them, and i know more memory would be suggested for those. SO what do you think? save to go with the max 2 gig motherboard? I see Games now days are finally getting into were at least 1 gig is the recomended memory sugested for a game.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Okay guys, question to help me solve a issue in buying a motherboard. Okay im still on socket 754 board, but im switching to pci express 16x in november. the problem is im having a hard time finding a socket 754 board that has max memory allowed up to 3 gigs, as well as have a good product rating on the motherboard. Alot of the Mobos that holds up to 2 gig max have good reviews on newegg, but not visa versa. So my question, if i bought the mobo it would only be used for about a year then ill switch to 939 in the end of 2007. Do you guys forsee games needing more the 2 gig of ram , for there Recomendations requirments to play a game untill the end of next year? The only reason im not going straight to socket 939 is because i dont want to have to buy a new cpu to. If you think 2 gig will be enough, now in this answer dont put online games as a choice for we dont play any of them, and i know more memory would be suggested for those. SO what do you think? save to go with the max 2 gig motherboard? I see Games now days are finally getting into were at least 1 gig is the recomended memory sugested for a game.

Do you plan on running Windows vista? if so you'll probably wish you had 4GB at some point in time.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Two points: One, if you do not upgrade to Vista 2 gigs will be plenty. The reality is that you wouldn't see a big difference gaming past 2 gigs, you'd be better off looking at another upgrade (i.e. CPU). If you plan on upgrading to Vista, then you should plan on needing more than 2 gigs IMO.

Two, why bother with 939 in the future, it is already EOL. At the end of 2007 I would be looking for an AM2 or AM3 on the AMD side due to the ability to drop in a newer CPU without having to upgrade the mobo yet again.

konfuzd

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Needing more than 2GB of RAM is inevitable and not as far away as you might think. With the push to 64 bit more data can be processed at a time, creating the need to store more data. Combined with directx 10 giving video cards a the abillity to use system RAM as a page file, 4BG might be a good idea as soon as the end of next year.

Besides, you can't have too much RAM.

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005