thermal paste spread

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I just got a shuttle xps box and the cooling system is a flat metal pad with screws and a heat pipe. Now, when I add the thermal paste do I put a pea sized dab and then smear is from the center on out? or just put the dab and screw the metal plate on?

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
the link does not have any information about my heatsink. So, I dont know if I have to smear it or leave the dab on it. Please read that my heatsink is a flat piece of metal and has screws to lock it to the board.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I just got a shuttle xps box and the cooling system is a flat metal pad with screws and a heat pipe. Now, when I add the thermal paste do I put a pea sized dab and then smear is from the center on out? or just put the dab and screw the metal plate on?

Spread the pea-sized dab as evenly as possible, you don't want any air voids.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
you wont even need a pea sized dab. Id say half a pea sized dab. You then want to spread it evenly. It should be about as thin as a piece of notebook paper.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
the link does not have any information about my heatsink. So, I dont know if I have to smear it or leave the dab on it. Please read that my heatsink is a flat piece of metal and has screws to lock it to the board.

It's not the heat sink type that determines the thermal paste application method, its the component or processor type. Read thru the link again, the proper instructions are there.

the link does not have any information about my heatsink.
Yes it did have the info you need. And pictures to boot.
p4_as_dabapply.jpg

p4_as_dab1.jpg

Thermal paste does not go on the heatsink. Its the CPU casing installed on the board that gets the rice grain sized thermal paste.