DHTML, Javascript and Pocket PC2003

January 17, 2005 4:43:05 PM

Hi,

I am using an MDAIII or XDAIIs device and I need to be able to code a web
page in such way as to be able to dynamically change the contents of
drop-down lists based on user selections. These devices run the Pocket PC
2003 operating system.
I.e. The selected item in one drop-down list affects what is displayed in
another.

I have tried a number of different ways to achieve this using
Javascript/DHTML without success.
I have tried the following:

1. Using DIV tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
2. Using SPAN tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
3. Using SELECT tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
4. Creating Option objects and adding them to a Select object.

Does anyone know if what I am trying to is possible on these devices with
this operating system?

Many thanks in advance,

Ross
January 17, 2005 11:52:26 PM

Ross Coundon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using an MDAIII or XDAIIs device and I need to be able to code a web
> page in such way as to be able to dynamically change the contents of
> drop-down lists based on user selections. These devices run the Pocket PC
> 2003 operating system.
> I.e. The selected item in one drop-down list affects what is displayed in
> another.
>
> I have tried a number of different ways to achieve this using
> Javascript/DHTML without success.
> I have tried the following:
>
> 1. Using DIV tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
> 2. Using SPAN tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
> 3. Using SELECT tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
> 4. Creating Option objects and adding them to a Select object.
>
> Does anyone know if what I am trying to is possible on these devices with
> this operating system?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Ross

Does this need to be a web page or could it work in visual basic? The
built in browser has limited support for JavaScript.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:43:05 -0000, "Ross Coundon"
<ross.coundon@aspective.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am using an MDAIII or XDAIIs device and I need to be able to code a web
>page in such way as to be able to dynamically change the contents of
>drop-down lists based on user selections. These devices run the Pocket PC
>2003 operating system.

Yes, you *cannot* do that in pocket IE. I'm not too sure about other
browsers either, although Opera for XDA might work OK.

>I.e. The selected item in one drop-down list affects what is displayed in
>another.
>
>I have tried a number of different ways to achieve this using
>Javascript/DHTML without success.
>I have tried the following:
>
>1. Using DIV tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.

Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.

>2. Using SPAN tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.

Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.

>3. Using SELECT tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.

Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.

>4. Creating Option objects and adding them to a Select object.

Will not work, no ability to extend a optin list - you can only create
an option list of a fixed length (say 20) and populate the empty
slots, but the array of option objects is otherwise not expandable.

>Does anyone know if what I am trying to is possible on these devices with
>this operating system?

In PIE, you have to reload the page to do this. Luckily this can be
achieved by construction the page using an XML file and transforming
using XSLT then using document.write to write out the transformed page
content. It's an excercise in passing query strings and parameters
mostly.

Cheers - Neil
January 18, 2005 12:44:55 AM

Time for me to chime in with my favorite question of all time - What
specifically are you trying to accomplish?

David H

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:43:05 -0000, "Ross Coundon"
> <ross.coundon@aspective.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I am using an MDAIII or XDAIIs device and I need to be able to code a web
>>page in such way as to be able to dynamically change the contents of
>>drop-down lists based on user selections. These devices run the Pocket PC
>>2003 operating system.
>

> Yes, you *cannot* do that in pocket IE. I'm not too sure about other
> browsers either, although Opera for XDA might work OK.
>

>>I.e. The selected item in one drop-down list affects what is displayed in
>>another.
>>
>>I have tried a number of different ways to achieve this using
>>Javascript/DHTML without success.
>>I have tried the following:
>>
>>1. Using DIV tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>

> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>

>>2. Using SPAN tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>

> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>

>>3. Using SELECT tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>

> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>

>>4. Creating Option objects and adding them to a Select object.
>

> Will not work, no ability to extend a optin list - you can only create
> an option list of a fixed length (say 20) and populate the empty
> slots, but the array of option objects is otherwise not expandable.
>

>>Does anyone know if what I am trying to is possible on these devices with
>>this operating system?
>

> In PIE, you have to reload the page to do this. Luckily this can be
> achieved by construction the page using an XML file and transforming
> using XSLT then using document.write to write out the transformed page
> content. It's an excercise in passing query strings and parameters
> mostly.
>
> Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 1:15:47 PM

I have had success in doing this with all of these methods on the Win CE.Net
4.2 OS. How does the Internet Explorer on this OS differ from that of a
Pocket PC device?

This work is part of a customisation of a mobile web application provided by
a third party so unfortunately I am limited in what I can do in terms of how
I build the page.

I know ahead of time exactly how many options I will have, from what you say
I can create the required number of option objects up front and then modify
them based on what is needed at runtime. Is this correct?

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:43:05 -0000, "Ross Coundon"
> <ross.coundon@aspective.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am using an MDAIII or XDAIIs device and I need to be able to code a web
> >page in such way as to be able to dynamically change the contents of
> >drop-down lists based on user selections. These devices run the Pocket
PC
> >2003 operating system.
>
> Yes, you *cannot* do that in pocket IE. I'm not too sure about other
> browsers either, although Opera for XDA might work OK.
>
> >I.e. The selected item in one drop-down list affects what is displayed in
> >another.
> >
> >I have tried a number of different ways to achieve this using
> >Javascript/DHTML without success.
> >I have tried the following:
> >
> >1. Using DIV tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>
> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>
> >2. Using SPAN tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>
> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>
> >3. Using SELECT tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>
> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>
> >4. Creating Option objects and adding them to a Select object.
>
> Will not work, no ability to extend a optin list - you can only create
> an option list of a fixed length (say 20) and populate the empty
> slots, but the array of option objects is otherwise not expandable.
>
> >Does anyone know if what I am trying to is possible on these devices with
> >this operating system?
>
> In PIE, you have to reload the page to do this. Luckily this can be
> achieved by construction the page using an XML file and transforming
> using XSLT then using document.write to write out the transformed page
> content. It's an excercise in passing query strings and parameters
> mostly.
>
> Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 1:22:16 PM

I have a requirement to have a set of questions in a web page and depending
on the answer that the user gives, the next question may change.

"David C. Holley" <DavidCHolley@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Time for me to chime in with my favorite question of all time - What
> specifically are you trying to accomplish?
>
> David H
>
> Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:43:05 -0000, "Ross Coundon"
> > <ross.coundon@aspective.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I am using an MDAIII or XDAIIs device and I need to be able to code a
web
> >>page in such way as to be able to dynamically change the contents of
> >>drop-down lists based on user selections. These devices run the Pocket
PC
> >>2003 operating system.
> >

> > Yes, you *cannot* do that in pocket IE. I'm not too sure about other
> > browsers either, although Opera for XDA might work OK.
> >

> >>I.e. The selected item in one drop-down list affects what is displayed
in
> >>another.
> >>
> >>I have tried a number of different ways to achieve this using
> >>Javascript/DHTML without success.
> >>I have tried the following:
> >>
> >>1. Using DIV tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
> >

> > Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
> >

> >>2. Using SPAN tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
> >

> > Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
> >

> >>3. Using SELECT tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
> >

> > Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
> >

> >>4. Creating Option objects and adding them to a Select object.
> >

> > Will not work, no ability to extend a optin list - you can only create
> > an option list of a fixed length (say 20) and populate the empty
> > slots, but the array of option objects is otherwise not expandable.
> >

> >>Does anyone know if what I am trying to is possible on these devices
with
> >>this operating system?
> >

> > In PIE, you have to reload the page to do this. Luckily this can be
> > achieved by construction the page using an XML file and transforming
> > using XSLT then using document.write to write out the transformed page
> > content. It's an excercise in passing query strings and parameters
> > mostly.
> >
> > Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 2:27:31 PM

Pocket IE is a different beast than IE in the .NET OS. With that said,
Pocket IE on PPC2003 (but not earlier) does support dynamically modifying
the options contained in a <select> element. The following new operations
are supported:

var myselect = window.selectname;
myselect.length = 0; // remove all existing options
var myopt = new Option("option text", "option value"); // create a new
option
myselect.add(myopt); // add it to the select

myselect.length = 20; // set the number of options we need
for (i = 0; i < 20; ++i)
{
myselect.value = i;
myselect.text = "option " + i;
}

"Ross Coundon" <ross.coundon@aspective.com> wrote in message
news:o 4Fn5aU$EHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I have had success in doing this with all of these methods on the Win
>CE.Net
> 4.2 OS. How does the Internet Explorer on this OS differ from that of a
> Pocket PC device?
>
> This work is part of a customisation of a mobile web application provided
> by
> a third party so unfortunately I am limited in what I can do in terms of
> how
> I build the page.
>
> I know ahead of time exactly how many options I will have, from what you
> say
> I can create the required number of option objects up front and then
> modify
> them based on what is needed at runtime. Is this correct?
>
> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:43:05 -0000, "Ross Coundon"
>> <ross.coundon@aspective.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I am using an MDAIII or XDAIIs device and I need to be able to code a
>> >web
>> >page in such way as to be able to dynamically change the contents of
>> >drop-down lists based on user selections. These devices run the Pocket
> PC
>> >2003 operating system.
>>
>> Yes, you *cannot* do that in pocket IE. I'm not too sure about other
>> browsers either, although Opera for XDA might work OK.
>>
>> >I.e. The selected item in one drop-down list affects what is displayed
>> >in
>> >another.
>> >
>> >I have tried a number of different ways to achieve this using
>> >Javascript/DHTML without success.
>> >I have tried the following:
>> >
>> >1. Using DIV tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>>
>> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>>
>> >2. Using SPAN tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>>
>> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>>
>> >3. Using SELECT tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>>
>> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>>
>> >4. Creating Option objects and adding them to a Select object.
>>
>> Will not work, no ability to extend a optin list - you can only create
>> an option list of a fixed length (say 20) and populate the empty
>> slots, but the array of option objects is otherwise not expandable.
>>
>> >Does anyone know if what I am trying to is possible on these devices
>> >with
>> >this operating system?
>>
>> In PIE, you have to reload the page to do this. Luckily this can be
>> achieved by construction the page using an XML file and transforming
>> using XSLT then using document.write to write out the transformed page
>> content. It's an excercise in passing query strings and parameters
>> mostly.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:48:41 AM

OK well here are some helpful pointers which provide workarounds. Note
that none of them actually rewrite the page using DHTML, rather we are
creating page content on the fly - I'm sure you understand the
distinction, but these techniques might be enough to get your job done

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
(Look at "A Sample Page" and code, you can see the script used loads
the content from an XML data island in-page, located prior to the
script).

Reading this indicates I was clearly wrong in my assertion that
innerHTML is not supported, in most cases I was referring to backward
compatibility with WM2002 devices using HTML3.2, but lets suppose
you're only targeting the latest devices, since phones are frequently
replaced by the latest version by the provider.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
Demonstrates further changes, using document.write() to embed
transformed XML or DOM content

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/assets/Pocket_PC_2002_W...
Web application development overview in PIE (on PPC2002)

You may also be able to consider using the Internet Explorer Browser
Control Host mentioned here :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

If you planned to store the XML content locally on the device, read
bug #3 here before trying it (will save you a lot of backtracking) :
http://www.cewindows.net/bugs/windowsmobile2003.htm

In terms of customisation, CSS support is improved over previous
versions : http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/articles/213771.asp...

What's available in PIE for WM2003 and WM2003SE
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:15:47 -0000, "Ross Coundon"
<ross.coundon@aspective.com> wrote:

>I have had success in doing this with all of these methods on the Win CE.Net
>4.2 OS. How does the Internet Explorer on this OS differ from that of a
>Pocket PC device?
>
>This work is part of a customisation of a mobile web application provided by
>a third party so unfortunately I am limited in what I can do in terms of how
>I build the page.
>
>I know ahead of time exactly how many options I will have, from what you say
>I can create the required number of option objects up front and then modify
>them based on what is needed at runtime. Is this correct?
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:43:05 -0000, "Ross Coundon"
>> <ross.coundon@aspective.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I am using an MDAIII or XDAIIs device and I need to be able to code a web
>> >page in such way as to be able to dynamically change the contents of
>> >drop-down lists based on user selections. These devices run the Pocket
>PC
>> >2003 operating system.
>>
>> Yes, you *cannot* do that in pocket IE. I'm not too sure about other
>> browsers either, although Opera for XDA might work OK.
>>
>> >I.e. The selected item in one drop-down list affects what is displayed in
>> >another.
>> >
>> >I have tried a number of different ways to achieve this using
>> >Javascript/DHTML without success.
>> >I have tried the following:
>> >
>> >1. Using DIV tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>>
>> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>>
>> >2. Using SPAN tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>>
>> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>>
>> >3. Using SELECT tags and changing the innerHTML attribute.
>>
>> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.
>>
>> >4. Creating Option objects and adding them to a Select object.
>>
>> Will not work, no ability to extend a optin list - you can only create
>> an option list of a fixed length (say 20) and populate the empty
>> slots, but the array of option objects is otherwise not expandable.
>>
>> >Does anyone know if what I am trying to is possible on these devices with
>> >this operating system?
>>
>> In PIE, you have to reload the page to do this. Luckily this can be
>> achieved by construction the page using an XML file and transforming
>> using XSLT then using document.write to write out the transformed page
>> content. It's an excercise in passing query strings and parameters
>> mostly.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:16:58 PM

Andy,

I have tested the following code on IE6 and it works correctly. I then
deployed it to a PPC2003 device and neither function call works.
Have I misunderstood your suggestion?

"Andy Dadi" <adadi@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o OeWCPZ$EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Pocket IE is a different beast than IE in the .NET OS. With that said,
> Pocket IE on PPC2003 (but not earlier) does support dynamically modifying
> the options contained in a <select> element. The following new operations
> are supported:
>
> var myselect = window.selectname;
> myselect.length = 0; // remove all existing options
> var myopt = new Option("option text", "option value"); // create a new
> option
> myselect.add(myopt); // add it to the select
>
> myselect.length = 20; // set the number of options we need
> for (i = 0; i < 20; ++i)
> {
> myselect.value = i;
> myselect.text = "option " + i;
> }
>

> "Ross Coundon" <ross.coundon@aspective.com> wrote in message
> news:o 4Fn5aU$EHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >I have had success in doing this with all of these methods on the Win
> >CE.Net
> > 4.2 OS. How does the Internet Explorer on this OS differ from that of a
> > Pocket PC device?
> >
> > This work is part of a customisation of a mobile web application
provided
> > by
> > a third party so unfortunately I am limited in what I can do in terms of
> > how
> > I build the page.
> >
> > I know ahead of time exactly how many options I will have, from what you
> > say
> > I can create the required number of option objects up front and then
> > modify
> > them based on what is needed at runtime. Is this correct?
> >
> > "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

Pocket
> > PC
> >>
> >> Yes, you *cannot* do that in pocket IE. I'm not too sure about other
> >> browsers either, although Opera for XDA might work OK.

> >> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.

> >> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.

> >> Will not work, no innerHTML for PIE.

> >> Will not work, no ability to extend a optin list - you can only create
> >> an option list of a fixed length (say 20) and populate the empty
> >> slots, but the array of option objects is otherwise not expandable.

> >> In PIE, you have to reload the page to do this. Luckily this can be
> >> achieved by construction the page using an XML file and transforming
> >> using XSLT then using document.write to write out the transformed page
> >> content. It's an excercise in passing query strings and parameters
> >> mostly.
> >>
> >> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:18:11 PM

Apologies, missing code.

Andy,

I have tested the following code on IE6 and it works correctly. I then
deployed it to a PPC2003 device and neither function call works.
Have I misunderstood your suggestion?

<head>
<title>Example 1</title>
<script>

function populate(){

var myselect = select1;
myselect.length = 0; // remove all existing options
var myopt = new Option("This is new", "value");
// create a new option
myselect.add(myopt); // add it to the select

}

function arrayPopulate(){

var myselect = select1;
myselect.length = 20; // set the number of options we need

for (i = 0; i < 20; ++i)
{
myselect.value = i;
myselect.text = "option " + i;
}

}

</script>
</head>

<select id="select1" name="select1">
</select>

<input type="submit" value="new Option" onclick="populate();">
<input type="submit" value="array" onclick="arrayPopulate();">

!