Trouble Installing AMD Processor

ukbsktbll

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I recently purchased a AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz. I built my computer with a friend, and I am upgrading it myself. I know a decent amount but not a lot. I was putting my processor in, had it locked in place and in the process of putting my heatsink in I messed up my processor. After taking it off cause it wasn't on and the processor and heatsink were sticking together and I bent some pins. What is the best way to do this. I got a new processor coming to me. I need any tips on installing it. Thanks

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I recently purchased a AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz. I built my computer with a friend, and I am upgrading it myself. I know a decent amount but not a lot. I was putting my processor in, had it locked in place and in the process of putting my heatsink in I messed up my processor. After taking it off cause it wasn't on and the processor and heatsink were sticking together and I bent some pins. What is the best way to do this. I got a new processor coming to me. I need any tips on installing it. Thanks

Well, it is possible to bend those pins back. What I've done is used a razor blade or similar to very gently pry the pins back. It's just something that happens to alot of us so it's common and it is very fixable. Just remember to be very careful and take your time with it. Good luck

ukbsktbll

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
So if I don't happen to bend them all properly and hook it up, what can i expect to happen? Also is a razor blade the best way to do it? Thanks

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I have done the same thing, I used a credit card. All you have to do is make sure they are all straight again and you will have no issues. As long as none are broken off you will be fine. It really isn't that hard to straighten them out, just use a little common sense and take care of it. Not saying you don't have common sense, just saying apply that reason when you straighten them out.

wes

endyen

Splendid
Chips with pins use a Zero Insurtion Force socket. Once you have the pins mostly straight, place it on top of it's spot. Do not push down. If the chip doesn't fall into place, try a little side to side movement/ wiggle. If it still doesn't drop into place, you need to staighten the pins a little more.
there is a fair bit of leeway, so you should be fine.
Once the chip has dropped into place, take it out and make none of the pins are bent all the way over. If it looks okay, let it fall into place once again. Look to see that it is all the way down, then activate the locking mechanism a few times. This should finish the straightening.
Good luck.

advcomp2019

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I had a friend that did that did the same thing. One main thing is that they tried was put a Socket 939 CPU on a Socket 754 mobo. Then I had to tell them that they made a mistake.

endyen

Splendid
There are a lot of "spare" pins on a chip. That's why AMD could go from 184 pin to 240 pin memory, but only add one pin. There are also redundant power pins.
Some people have gotten lucky. It is a question of "do you feel lucky?"

ukbsktbll

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
what about the material that holds the processor and the heat sink together. I seem to have less now after all this messing with it. Is that bad? Also does the fact that some were bent have any chance of effecting the motherboard or anything else.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I remember someone mentioning using a pencil by taking the lead out of them and use it to bend them back. Cant recall the size of those lead pencils... .05mm?

So if I don't happen to bend them all properly and hook it up, what can i expect to happen? Also is a razor blade the best way to do it? Thanks

The best way I've found to straighten bent proc pins is by using a .5mm or .7mm mechanical pencil tip...take the lead out and use the tip where the lead comes out to slip over the bent pin like a sleeve and gently re-bend the pin back into place...by using the tip of the pencil youi greatly reduce any chance of bending the pin in more than one place, and if the pin is bent in more than one place you can still use the pencil tip to straighten the pin by altering the depth of the pin...good luck!

EDIT: just read the previous posts, the pencil tip is the best method!

ukbsktbll

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
well i appreciate all the advice but I think it is hopeless. i got all the pins fix except the ones that are bent two ways. some look like a straigher S. I am having a new one shipped to me for free anyways so I guess I have to wait a about a week to get it though.

spanishfleee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
if your getting a new one shipped you may aswell experiment with them then and see if you can get it reworking? then see how far you can push that one and you dont need to worry cos you have a new one soon