Sign in with
Your question

does a 64 bit os offer that much more performance?

Last response: in CPUs
September 15, 2006 4:29:29 AM

I am a little confused on this, and am a newb, so if i am not addressing things correctly, please let me know :) 
Ok, first let me clarify my post. I have a 6400, and am running the 32bit version of xp. i was wondering how much of the processor am i truely not using, and what kind of performance increase can i look forward to when i buy a 64bit vista? setting drivers aside, games like fear vs quake, where quake takes advantage of the dual core, but is that only in a 64 bit environment? does it mean that if quake and fear had similar graphics, but fear being made for 32bits, vs quake for 64bits, the 64 bit version would allow for a higher fps and better gameplay?

More about : bit offer performance

September 15, 2006 5:44:46 AM

there should be a boost in 64 bit code, but mostly i look forward to adding more memory into my rig with Vista64. 2-3Gig sucks when you do serious work,

2 days ago i copied some html from a web browser to a word document at the end of it it said "running out of memory" and i have 2gig's in my rig.

I want at least 4Gig of memory in my computer, with 4gig swap file. the more the better.
September 15, 2006 9:45:41 AM

With none 64bit applications you wont see too much of a increase as seen by JumpingJack's tests.

However, software made for 64bit CPU you will see a significant increase in speed. However, 64bit programming hasnt really taken off considering it has been around for about 4 years now. I think Vista will change that, and the fact virtually all CPUs are 64bit or 64bit compliant.

Just look at Far Cry 64bit patch, the graphics where improved quite a lot and performance went up.
September 15, 2006 10:45:04 AM

when i had 64-bit, the only thing great about it was quicker boot times. but this was when there was nothing ready for it. now some games and programs are made for it so it should be better than when i had it.

if vista is to be true 64-bit(i read somewhere it is) then those who dont want vista and have 64-bit will be a lot happier since more programs and games will support it.
!