Power supply making sound problems?

suckit

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I built a system with an ecs board and pentium d 945, and was having problems with audio. there was faint static or poping every so often. althogh it is quiet it is anoying. also a loud pop at shut down, and occasionally at startup. a tech at frys encouraged me to swap out board for a new one and i did and i still had the same problem. so i also tryed upgrading from onboard sound to a creative audigy card and still had problems. i had all the latest drivers installed so im running out of possible solutions here. I'm no expert and this may sound crazy, but i was thinking it was possible that my power supply is so cheap that electrical current isnt flowing right causing some interference or something. i went the cheap route with the caase and bought a tricod 8068 with 480 watt power supply for 60 bucks.

Does anyone think this might be even remotely possible or am i just way off on this one?

suckit

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Ac input : 115/230v ~ , 10/6a, 60/50hz
Dc out put : + 3.3v -- 22A (orange), + 5v -- 15A (Red), +12v1 -- 14A (yellow), +12v2 -- 16A (yellow), +5vsb -- 2.5A (purple), -12v --0.3A (blue),
Rating Output Watts 450W +3.3v & 5v = 130W

Thats what is says exactly. sorry i dont know anything about power supplies. I'm assuming that it has 2 12v rails one is 14amps and the other is 16amps. other than that speakers and everything are the same as my old system which worked fine.
Thank You

suckit

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
i dont think it is the speakers cause i hooked up my old comp again and the have no problems. i also tested with another set of speakers and it did it on those too. as far as when i use the disk drives i havent listened. the reason i was thinking it was electrical problem with the psu is because of the loud pop when i shut down it happens right when the computer turns off. i did notice some extra poping when there i open programs and stuff and i put more stress on the cpu. another crazy assumption of mine is the cpu could be corrupted. do think this is a crazy assumtion? thanks again youve been extremely helpful!

suckit

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
yes i swapped out the psu and have the same problem so i dont think the psu is the problem. do you think having an extremely cheap psu could damage my compentents anyway? ive narrowed it down to the board or a software issue. the ecs board takes ddr2 but doesnt support dual channel mode so the pc 5400 i put in is running single channel. it is to my understanding audio requries much higher refresh rates than video and switching to dual channel could help.

Shodar

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
A couple of other things to look at:

1) Do you have a Mic plugged in?

2) Is your front panel Audio hooked up correctly? (if you have front panel Audio ports)

--Shodar