Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading from Windows 8 32 bit to Windows 8 64 bit

Last response: in Windows 8
December 6, 2012 7:31:48 PM

Hi everyone, I have a question about upgrading windows 8. I currently use windows XP, and my current processor does not support 64 bit operating systems. However, I will soon upgrade my processor to a G860, and when I do, I plan to also upgrade my operating system to Windows 8.

My question for you is: should I go ahead and upgrade my current installation of windows XP 32 bit to windows 8 32 bit, and then when I get my new processor, upgrade from windows 8 32 bit to windows 8 64 bit? How much of a hassle would this upgrade be? Would I have to re-install all of my software? Should I just wait until my processor can handle 64 bit and jump straight from XP 32 bit to windows 8 64 bit? Or would it be super easy to upgrade now and then upgrade again in the future? I have the physical disks, so I don't have to worry about being able to get the right version.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Best solution

December 6, 2012 7:47:51 PM

Make sure your motherboard is also 64bit compatible. Upgrading beyond Windows XP to anything newer will require a full clean install of OS and Programs. 32bit and 64bit Operating Systems have different core components and you would have to install software all over again. I would wait until you get your processor (and possibly 64bit motherboard) and go to 64 bit.

P.S. Unless, you have a touchscreen for Windows 8, I strongly suggest Windows 7.
December 6, 2012 7:53:56 PM

Besides the fact that there is no upgrade path from 32bit to 64bit. You must do a clean install. You cannot upgrade from 32bit to 64bit windows8 without reinstalling pretty much everything.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 8:37:51 PM

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. I guess I will wait until I get the new processor for upgrading, since I don't want to go through all that hassle twice. I'm upgrading some other stuff too, including the motherboard, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Wysir, why do you recommend windows 7? The only real advantage I've heard is that the interface is more familiar, but I'm willing to put up with learning things all over again for the few extra features of windows 8, not to mention that it is cheaper (especially since I already bought it =P).

Thanks again for your input.
m
l
December 6, 2012 9:43:16 PM

If your computer was built in this decade it will probably run 64bit just fine. Go ahead and install Windows 8 64bit and learn. Make sure to back-up all your important stuff from your hard drive before you do. Remember it will be a clean install....
m
l
December 7, 2012 4:02:40 AM

Best answer selected by Reggie_B.
m
l
!