Closed

Lost Admin Password, HELP!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,

I have lost the admin password to my machine which is Windows XP pro SP2
(local account) is there a way
to recover it without a recovery floppy or cd? thx.

com.object
14 answers Last reply
More about lost admin password help
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    ctrl-alt-delete
    twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password blank and
    press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this hidden account
    during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP pre-installed it
    doesn't likely have one either,

    This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select the
    specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the password
    it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by clicking "Prevent a
    Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have lost the admin password to my machine which is Windows XP pro SP2
    > (local account) is there a way
    > to recover it without a recovery floppy or cd? thx.
    >
    > com.object

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hey Michael,

    An administrator account was created and a password was also set, any ideas
    on recovery, hack, or otherwise? thx.

    c.o

    > If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    > ctrl-alt-delete
    > twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password blank
    > and
    > press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this hidden account
    > during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP pre-installed it
    > doesn't likely have one either,
    >

    > This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select the
    > specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the
    > password
    > it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by clicking "Prevent
    > Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.
    >

    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have lost the admin password to my machine which is Windows XP pro SP2
    >> (local account) is there a way
    >> to recover it without a recovery floppy or cd? thx.
    >>
    >> com.object

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    First, let's be sure we are talking about the same thing. I'm not talking
    about an account you created. There is a default account in both XP Home
    and XP Pro, it is named "Administrator" and it is usually hidden, though,
    until a user creates a user account, often it will appear on new systems, at
    least until the first user account is created. Hence, this would be an
    account you didn't create at the end of XP setup, rather its an account
    automatically created during setup with the option of also password
    protecting it.

    You can always tell the difference between this and user created accounts as
    it can only be named "Administrator," the name cannot be changed and it is
    the only account by that name. NOTE: not the only account admin privileges,
    just the only account with that name.

    If in fact you are talking about this default account, you might try running
    a search on the Internet for an application that helps find lost passwords.

    --

    > Hey Michael,
    >
    > An administrator account was created and a password was also set, any
    > ideas on recovery, hack, or otherwise? thx.
    >
    > c.o
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    >> ctrl-alt-delete
    >> twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password blank
    >> and
    >> press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this hidden account
    >> during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP pre-installed it
    >> doesn't likely have one either,
    >>

    >> This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select
    >> the
    >> specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the
    >> password
    >> it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by clicking
    >> "Prevent a
    >> Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have lost the admin password to my machine which is Windows XP pro SP2
    >>> (local account) is there a way
    >>> to recover it without a recovery floppy or cd? thx.
    >>>
    >>> com.object

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> skrev i melding
    > I have lost the admin password to my machine which is Windows XP pro SP2
    > (local account) is there a way
    > to recover it without a recovery floppy or cd? thx.

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com contains tools to change the admin password on
    any NT/2000/XP computer.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

    I work in a school setting and we received 65 freedom to learn laptops for
    our sixth grade class. This very thing happened to all 65 laptops at
    exactally the same time. We lost all of our (original) administrator
    accounts. We thought that the password never expires box wasn't checked, but
    after getting into some of them, we found that the box was checked. These
    machines were never on our network, which we think may have prevented this
    problem. We think that the the administrator account locks out if you do not
    change the password in a given time. We had to go in with a CD and unlock
    the machines.
    Julie

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > First, let's be sure we are talking about the same thing. I'm not talking
    > about an account you created. There is a default account in both XP Home
    > and XP Pro, it is named "Administrator" and it is usually hidden, though,
    > until a user creates a user account, often it will appear on new systems, at
    > least until the first user account is created. Hence, this would be an
    > account you didn't create at the end of XP setup, rather its an account
    > automatically created during setup with the option of also password
    > protecting it.
    >
    > You can always tell the difference between this and user created accounts as
    > it can only be named "Administrator," the name cannot be changed and it is
    > the only account by that name. NOTE: not the only account admin privileges,
    > just the only account with that name.
    >
    > If in fact you are talking about this default account, you might try running
    > a search on the Internet for an application that helps find lost passwords.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey Michael,
    > >
    > > An administrator account was created and a password was also set, any
    > > ideas on recovery, hack, or otherwise? thx.
    > >
    > > c.o
    > >

    > > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    > >> If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    > >> ctrl-alt-delete
    > >> twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password blank
    > >> and
    > >> press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this hidden account
    > >> during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP pre-installed it
    > >> doesn't likely have one either,
    > >>

    > >> This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select
    > >> the
    > >> specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the
    > >> password
    > >> it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by clicking
    > >> "Prevent a
    > >> Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > >> Windows Shell/User
    > >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > >>
    > >> "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

    The issue of password expiration does come up on some machines, the
    following turns that issue off:

    Control Panel - Admin Tools - Local Security policy, and in that under
    Account Policies - Password Policy you can set the first four items to
    0 (effectively meaning 'no limits') and the last two to Disabled.
    Then you are free to use any passwords, and they will last
    indefinitely.

    --

    "Julie G." <Julie G.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I work in a school setting and we received 65 freedom to learn laptops for
    > our sixth grade class. This very thing happened to all 65 laptops at
    > exactally the same time. We lost all of our (original) administrator
    > accounts. We thought that the password never expires box wasn't checked,
    > but
    > after getting into some of them, we found that the box was checked. These
    > machines were never on our network, which we think may have prevented this
    > problem. We think that the the administrator account locks out if you do
    > not
    > change the password in a given time. We had to go in with a CD and unlock
    > the machines.
    > Julie
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> First, let's be sure we are talking about the same thing. I'm not
    >> talking
    >> about an account you created. There is a default account in both XP Home
    >> and XP Pro, it is named "Administrator" and it is usually hidden, though,
    >> until a user creates a user account, often it will appear on new systems,
    >> at
    >> least until the first user account is created. Hence, this would be an
    >> account you didn't create at the end of XP setup, rather its an account
    >> automatically created during setup with the option of also password
    >> protecting it.
    >>
    >> You can always tell the difference between this and user created accounts
    >> as
    >> it can only be named "Administrator," the name cannot be changed and it
    >> is
    >> the only account by that name. NOTE: not the only account admin
    >> privileges,
    >> just the only account with that name.
    >>
    >> If in fact you are talking about this default account, you might try
    >> running
    >> a search on the Internet for an application that helps find lost
    >> passwords.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hey Michael,
    >> >
    >> > An administrator account was created and a password was also set, any
    >> > ideas on recovery, hack, or otherwise? thx.
    >> >
    >> > c.o
    >> >

    >> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have lost the admin password to my machine which is Windows XP pro SP2
    > (local account) is there a way
    > to recover it without a recovery floppy or cd? thx.
    >
    > com.object

    You can download some password cracker from the Internet. Depending
    on the complexity of your password and the speed of your machine,
    it could take hours, days or weeks to crack the password. Some of the
    following might do it:

    http://www.l0pht.com
    http://www.nmrc.org/files/snt/index.html
    http://www.sysinternals.com: NTLockSmith
    http://www.ducktank.net/tips/ntdisk.html
    http://www.ntbugtraq.com/default.asp?pid=36&sid=1&A2=ind9704&L=NTBUGTRAQ&P=R

    A far more elegant way to stay clear of this trap is to plan ahead
    and create a second admin account right at the beginning, same
    as you have a second set of car keys and house keys.

    With respect to your extensive cross-posts: What's your problem
    got to with Windows servers?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    > "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> skrev i melding
    > > I have lost the admin password to my machine which is Windows XP pro SP2
    > > (local account) is there a way
    > > to recover it without a recovery floppy or cd? thx.
    >
    > http://www.ultimatebootcd.com contains tools to change the admin password
    on
    > any NT/2000/XP computer.

    Without a recovery CD?
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:39:31 +1100, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com>
    wrote:

    >"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    >> "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> skrev i melding
    >> > I have lost the admin password to my machine which is Windows XP pro SP2
    >> > (local account) is there a way
    >> > to recover it without a recovery floppy or cd? thx.
    >>
    >> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com contains tools to change the admin password
    >on
    >> any NT/2000/XP computer.
    >
    >Without a recovery CD?

    Sure, if the system is booting okay otherwise although I would just get
    the single tool for resetting the pw instead of an entire CD full of
    tools. http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    The Best tool to use would be one called "Sam Helper" It will Re-Write your
    SAM file , its boots from Floppy (It runs a small version of linux) it will
    automaticly take you through the steps of slecting witch Drive / Path all the
    way to replacing the sam file. This is easy and take 5 minutes , if you can
    use CMD.exe you can use this tool.

    Im sure this might also be caled "Offline NT Password and Registry Editor"

    This will not change active directory

    "Michael Cecil" wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:39:31 +1100, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    > >> "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> skrev i melding
    > >>
    > >> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com contains tools to change the admin password
    > >on
    > >> any NT/2000/XP computer.
    > >
    > >Without a recovery CD?
    >
    > Sure, if the system is booting okay otherwise although I would just get
    > the single tool for resetting the pw instead of an entire CD full of
    > tools. http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    It's possible to change the built-in administrator account name. It's not
    possible to delete it.

    --
    Ravi Ambros Wallau
    r w a l l a u @ s p r i n g w i r e l e s s . n e t

    > First, let's be sure we are talking about the same thing. I'm not talking
    > about an account you created. There is a default account in both XP Home
    > and XP Pro, it is named "Administrator" and it is usually hidden, though,
    > until a user creates a user account, often it will appear on new systems,
    > at least until the first user account is created. Hence, this would be an
    > account you didn't create at the end of XP setup, rather its an account
    > automatically created during setup with the option of also password
    > protecting it.
    >
    > You can always tell the difference between this and user created accounts
    > as it can only be named "Administrator," the name cannot be changed and it
    > is the only account by that name. NOTE: not the only account admin
    > privileges, just the only account with that name.
    >
    > If in fact you are talking about this default account, you might try
    > running a search on the Internet for an application that helps find lost
    > passwords.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey Michael,
    >>
    >> An administrator account was created and a password was also set, any
    >> ideas on recovery, hack, or otherwise? thx.
    >>
    >> c.o
    >>

    >> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >>> If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    >>> ctrl-alt-delete
    >>> twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password blank
    >>> and
    >>> press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this hidden account
    >>> during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP pre-installed it
    >>> doesn't likely have one either,
    >>>

    >>> This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select
    >>> the
    >>> specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the
    >>> password
    >>> it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by clicking
    >>> "Prevent a
    >>> Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>>
    >>> "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    And I've been so informed by others.

    Thank you for the head's up. The name of the default, built-in
    Administrator account, can indeed be changed.

    --

    "Ravi Ambros Wallau" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > It's possible to change the built-in administrator account name. It's not
    > possible to delete it.
    >
    > --
    > Ravi Ambros Wallau
    > r w a l l a u @ s p r i n g w i r e l e s s . n e t
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> First, let's be sure we are talking about the same thing. I'm not
    >> talking about an account you created. There is a default account in both
    >> XP Home and XP Pro, it is named "Administrator" and it is usually hidden,
    >> though, until a user creates a user account, often it will appear on new
    >> systems, at least until the first user account is created. Hence, this
    >> would be an account you didn't create at the end of XP setup, rather its
    >> an account automatically created during setup with the option of also
    >> password protecting it.
    >>
    >> You can always tell the difference between this and user created accounts
    >> as it can only be named "Administrator," the name cannot be changed and
    >> it is the only account by that name. NOTE: not the only account admin
    >> privileges, just the only account with that name.
    >>
    >> If in fact you are talking about this default account, you might try
    >> running a search on the Internet for an application that helps find lost
    >> passwords.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "msnews.microsoft.com" <bob@dkldfl.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hey Michael,
    >>>
    >>> An administrator account was created and a password was also set, any
    >>> ideas on recovery, hack, or otherwise? thx.
    >>>
    >>> c.o
    >>>

    >>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message

  13. Hi, I was suffering from this problem.
    my friend told me a professional windows password recovery software---password genius. it can solve the problem easily .I could not wait to have a try and I was astounded to find it can empty the previous password without erasing anything!try it.
    Check this out:http://www.password-genius.com/how-to/how-to-get-in-my-computer-when-i-forget-my-windows-login-password.html
  14. Necropost

Windows Server Microsoft Windows XP