Sign in with
Your question

what is wrong with the forums?

Last response: in Site Feedback
May 7, 2007 5:59:11 PM

I have a wide screen monitor but this new layout limits the width of the text box. This sucks big time!

Learning Dvorak and slow she goes.

More about : wrong forums

May 7, 2007 11:46:47 PM

My problem is that most of the time, the top menu bar (tg FORUMZ FAQ SEARCH PM etc) doesn't render properly on my Win XP/Firefox 2.0.0.3), appearing only as a single *column* of text along the left border. Very annoying!
Strangely enough, it renders fine in this Forum!
May 8, 2007 6:43:32 AM

I mean really, who needs a monitor larger than 648x480...

Any more is overkill, and you are simply wasting your money...

I suppose the point is to get you to start running true multi-browsers running 4 browser windows on the screen at once...
Related resources
May 9, 2007 5:53:35 AM

Im not having any problems :?

You guys are just loosers :p 
May 9, 2007 7:57:07 PM

:cry: 
May 9, 2007 9:22:08 PM

Quote:
:cry: 

QUOTE: This new forum utilizes 22% of the width of my monitor.

Hate it
May 9, 2007 9:27:57 PM

980 / .22 = 4455

What kind of monitor are you using? I'm looking for an upgrade...
May 9, 2007 10:27:07 PM

1980 * .22 = 435.6px

So maybe abit larger, but still annoying since there is now a TON of white space.
May 9, 2007 10:40:23 PM

Yeah, but just think about how much they could make on ads. Why a single link is worth $544 /month!
May 10, 2007 11:06:29 PM

Well, if you count "This Space For Rent" signs as in use... :p 
May 13, 2007 10:49:05 AM

Also, BBCode (for bold at least) doesnt work in my sig properly. All the links in my sig should be bold.
May 14, 2007 10:11:35 PM

Yes but you can
    the things that do... :lol:  :lol: 
May 16, 2007 5:43:08 AM

web site work ok for users who still use 1024x768 i guess
May 16, 2007 8:32:13 PM

I keep my favorites open on the left at all times, and slightly wider than the default. It helps a bit.
July 9, 2007 3:42:41 PM

In a couple of years time all THG forums will be is advertising and a tiny little box for the discussion itself. :( 
July 9, 2007 4:10:03 PM

Holy fsck. All I can say is this is the straw that breaks this camel's back. Absolutely everything that made Tom's Hardware "Tom's Hardware" has been changed.

The articles suck, The site layout changed to what looks like a grade 5 computer science project, there isn't an area that you can go to without 1/3 of your screen being filled with irrelevent advertising, and now the forums are fscked.

Nice way to torpedo what was once the best hardware enthusiast site on the net.

Good luck pandering to the script kiddies.
July 9, 2007 4:31:10 PM

interesting, the look of the forum when not logged in is horrible with huge ad space on the side. Once logged in it's mildly better. Still a long way to go to bring it back up to par with the old look though.
July 9, 2007 4:40:09 PM

We are working on it. Stick with it and keep posting.
July 9, 2007 4:57:40 PM

CompTIA_Rep said:
1980 * .22 = 435.6px

So maybe abit larger, but still annoying since there is now a TON of white space.

On my 20" LCD at 1600x1200, it fills about 70-80%. Windows XP, IE 6
July 9, 2007 5:35:36 PM

Ayeee I'm so confused... I'm sure things will work out better in a bit, but right now all I can say is
July 9, 2007 6:02:15 PM

CompTIA_Rep said:
I have a wide screen monitor but this new layout limits the width of the text box. This sucks big time!
Learning Dvorak and slow she goes.

This shouldn't be the case anymore as ads on the right hand side have been removed when logged-in.
July 9, 2007 8:18:10 PM

I hate these new forums, I can't find anything. I thought the old layout was bad enough for navigating, now it it much worse. I cannot find most of my old posts, the search function only finds a few of them, and it does not display them in the correct order, I specified order by date, but instead I get posts I authored before threads I participated in even though they are much older. I also cannot find out how to manage my avatar or sig.

EDIT: apparantly my avatar is still OK, however I've lost my sig, now I gotta figure that out again (it was complicated).

EDIT2: Ok now I have my signature displayed, but not correctly. Do I have to check the add signature box everytime I post? That would be annoying.

The new look is terrible, I hate the colours, please add an ability to use themes so I can make it look normal without the wacky colours. As others have said it's also way to skinny, why force a particular width?

Overall I am unimpressed, this is a step backwards, it looks like another one of those amateur PHPbb sites, only less functional.
July 9, 2007 8:23:47 PM

Holy crap.

I am speechless. Me.

Though I see many familiar "faces" here in this thread, this place is.........well.........like the dungeon. I'm spending more time trying to find BASIC things. BASIC. Not advanced. Not cool features. BASIC.

Buggy, poor visual layout, counterintuitive interface.......I could go on but no point. Not gonna change. New owners are gonna do what they're gonna do.

Barely even recognize this place anymore, literally and figuratively.

Perhaps it's finally time to move on. Just wow.
July 9, 2007 11:39:04 PM

cutthroat said:
I hate these new forums, I can't find anything. I thought the old layout was bad enough for navigating, now it it much worse. I cannot find most of my old posts, the search function only finds a few of them, and it does not display them in the correct order, I specified order by date, but instead I get posts I authored before threads I participated in even though they are much older. I also cannot find out how to manage my avatar or sig.

EDIT: apparantly my avatar is still OK, however I've lost my sig, now I gotta figure that out again (it was complicated).

EDIT2: Ok now I have my signature displayed, but not correctly. Do I have to check the add signature box everytime I post? That would be annoying.

The new look is terrible, I hate the colours, please add an ability to use themes so I can make it look normal without the wacky colours. As others have said it's also way to skinny, why force a particular width?

Overall I am unimpressed, this is a step backwards, it looks like another one of those amateur PHPbb sites, only less functional.

Have to agree, the forums are much, much harder to navigate now. I can barely find anything, let alone the threads I was keeping track of. And what's with the forum categories now? I'm all for integrating all of the forums so we can search and see everything at once, but all of the components in "CPUs & Components" would make more sense if they were their own categories... A CPU is a component too.

And I miss how I could do the
Quote:
blah
thing. I can understand how people abused it, but its freaking hard to keep track of things now, almost making quotes useless.

July 9, 2007 11:46:24 PM

they do have their own categories, take a look at "CPUs | Power Supplies, PC Cases & Case Mods | Sound Cards | Network Interface Cards | Other Components", those are subcategories, and you can click on each one to do filtering and only display the subcategories.

As for the threads you were keeping track of, you will find them really quickly thanks to the flag feature.

About the quote, they are working perfectly ?
July 10, 2007 1:28:57 AM

Two things aren't working for me.

1) The back button. I have to press back, then stop the loading and refresh. This, on top of the general slowness I'm getting, is pretty frustrating.

2) User names get a weird cut after 10 characters. For example, what should be "lordaardvark2" is "lordaardva rk2" on my screen.

Whatever, I guess I'll just keep going to all the other forums around.
July 10, 2007 2:22:01 AM

djcoolmasterx said:
In a couple of years time all THG forums will be is advertising and a tiny little box for the discussion itself. :( 

ROFL. True dat.

I like some of the new features. I want to wait until I get used to it to make my final judgements. I don't like all the new advertising. I understand it isn't free to run this, but I think it's a lil overboard.
July 10, 2007 2:24:41 AM

skyguy said:
counterintuitive interface.......

Ding. Many of the pictures that represent functions MAKE NO SENSE. An envelope with an arrow pointing to it means quote? I liked the old Quote buble.
July 10, 2007 7:08:03 AM

This place has been bought by somebody other than tom. That is the problem. I leave you to speculate; but I have noticed that some posts have been altered through the deletion of certain comments or topics all together.
July 10, 2007 11:04:27 AM

its pain for my eyes.... so white....and the fonts so big and agly...
the old fonts where so much better as where the colors
July 10, 2007 2:13:59 PM

djcoolmasterx said:

Just you use adblock. It helps:) 
July 10, 2007 4:44:48 PM

Ya but I miss the old categories. I really feel CPU should be its own category since a good chunk of the discussions are in there. I'm just afraid that alot of non-CPU threads will end up in the CPU forum because its not blatantly obvious that there are forums for the other components. Shrug, I just have to get used to it.

Anyone try the search function? [Magnifying glass, top of page] All I get is a blank gray page.
July 10, 2007 5:02:36 PM

The new look just isn't that attractive. Sorry.
July 10, 2007 5:11:18 PM

The whole thing violates the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle. The learning curve is too much work for this old f*rt. I'm done with this forum. Time to find greener pastures. "Gonna lay me down in the tall grass and let me do my stuff..."
July 10, 2007 5:39:14 PM

99% of the "professional" sites use vbulletin or phpbb. By "professional, I mean support boards for hardware and software vendors. I have no idea what prompted the r tards (as Cartman would say) at THG to change it to this POS.
July 10, 2007 5:42:06 PM

Murph, you're right.

New owners, new site, new direction, new problems, new n00bie visitors. Us old farts that helped BUILD this site and keep it popular and relevant are feeling the squeeze.

Comptia, you are a class act, but this place has become otherwise. It's sad really.

Complaining about the tech problems with these forums is missing the point entirely. This PLACE isn't what it was....not the forums. It's gone, a shadow of its former self. The locked topics, the mass bans, the incorrigible attitude of many mods, etc........no warnings here of what was to come, no "hey guys, change is on the horizon, keep your chin up!!", NOTHING. Like a thief in the night, we woke up and find this place has GONE. Forums, relativity, enthusiast base.........it's all disappeared. What a shame.

I think greener pastures it is..........
July 10, 2007 6:07:22 PM

And now I get "internal error" when I try to send a PM.

What a disaster.
July 10, 2007 7:04:57 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Ding. Many of the pictures that represent functions MAKE NO SENSE. An envelope with an arrow pointing to it means quote? I liked the old Quote buble.

Hi,

Do you know you can change icons ?

Go to Profile, Forum parameters and choose one in "icon set" (IMHO, "Silk" is better).

Also, you can change the icons' position : "Customize the toolbar" http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/user/editprofil.php?c...

And don't forget to look help page http://www.mesdiscussions.net/doc/english/user/html/
July 10, 2007 7:15:43 PM

madmurph said:
The whole thing violates the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.

It is perfectly in line with the "new boss, new rules" principle though.
July 10, 2007 7:24:55 PM

Why the ^&%$ does my PM Inbox show stuff as unread that I SENT?!?! Where is the simple Inbox/Sent/Saved??

What is going ON here????????

Does anyone have a clue how to make this $hi!t work????
July 10, 2007 7:30:42 PM

madmurph said:
The whole thing violates the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle. The learning curve is too much work for this old f*rt. I'm done with this forum. Time to find greener pastures. "Gonna lay me down in the tall grass and let me do my stuff..."

phpbb is broken by design :p 
And honestly once you've understand the logic, the forum is not that difficult to use.

Just read this doc http://www.mydiscussions.net/doc/english/user/html/ch12... should help you (especially the flag section).

And yes from my point of view, the default "silk" icons are much better that the currently installed.
July 10, 2007 7:32:37 PM

skyguy said:
Why the ^&%$ does my PM Inbox show stuff as unread that I SENT?!?! Where is the simple Inbox/Sent/Saved??

[Unread] means the message you've sent has not yet been read by your interlocutor :p 

And there's no need for Inbox/Sent/Saved section since the PM are now handled exactly the same way normal topics.
July 10, 2007 7:41:24 PM

I've seen Rorschach tests that make more sense than this mess! What a nightmare.
July 10, 2007 7:43:04 PM

skyguy said:

You don't prefer when a PM works like a normal topic ?

I feel it's better, easy, no ? ;) 
July 10, 2007 7:45:13 PM

joce said:
phpbb is broken by design :p 
And honestly once you've understand the logic, the forum is not that difficult to use.

I confirm. :) 

And maybe the logic of MyDiscussions is more... logic than other boards. :D 
July 10, 2007 10:10:42 PM

Actually, I don't prefer that a message acts like a post. Messages/email/notes are not forums posts. An apple is not an orange, even though they are both fruit.

MM, see ya on the dark side.
!