Move ActiveSync to other PC

January 17, 2005 6:42:57 PM

Hello!

I want to use another PC for Outlook & ActiveSync. I moved my pst-file
to the new computer and installed activesync. When i connect my PDA to
the new computer it detects a new device that has never been synched
before. How can i tell as that the PDA _has been synched_ with Outlook
before?
I tried to take over the directory %userroot%\app data...\active
sync\My_PPC, but after that as doesn't work any more. It only detects an
error.

Thank you very much!
Stefan

More about : move activesync

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 6:42:58 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:42:57 +0100, Stefan Wetter <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I want to use another PC for Outlook & ActiveSync. I moved my pst-file
> to the new computer and installed activesync. When i connect my PDA to
> the new computer it detects a new device that has never been synched
> before. How can i tell as that the PDA _has been synched_ with Outlook
> before?
> I tried to take over the directory %userroot%\app data...\active
> sync\My_PPC, but after that as doesn't work any more. It only detects an
> error.
>
> Thank you very much!
> Stefan

If I understand what you are saying, you'll still need to set up a profile
on the new machine. Simply create a new partnership and you should be
able to sync everything just fine.

--
Brad Isaac
editor-in-chief, www.pocketpcaddict.com

Brad Isaac schrieb:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:42:57 +0100, Stefan Wetter <nospam@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I want to use another PC for Outlook & ActiveSync. I moved my
>> pst-file to the new computer and installed activesync. When i connect
>> my PDA to the new computer it detects a new device that has never
>> been synched before. How can i tell as that the PDA _has been
>> synched_ with Outlook before?
>> I tried to take over the directory %userroot%\app data...\active
>> sync\My_PPC, but after that as doesn't work any more. It only detects
>> an error.
>>
>> Thank you very much!
>> Stefan
>

> If I understand what you are saying, you'll still need to set up a
> profile on the new machine. Simply create a new partnership and you
> should be able to sync everything just fine.

Hello!

I have set up a partnership with the same name as on the old comupter.
Then i replaced the \App Data\...\ActiveSynch\My_PPC with the directory
of the old computer. But ActiveSync doesn't work anymore.

Stefan
January 17, 2005 7:27:46 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:27:45 +0100, Stefan Wetter <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

> Brad Isaac schrieb:
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:42:57 +0100, Stefan Wetter <nospam@nospam.com>
>> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have set up a partnership with the same name as on the old comupter.
> Then i replaced the \App Data\...\ActiveSynch\My_PPC with the directory
> of the old computer. But ActiveSync doesn't work anymore.
>
> Stefan

I would reinstall activesync. I've never done the procedure you are
talking about where you actually copy the whole folder onto a new machine,
so I don't know what to expect from that. But reinstalling Activesync and
creating a new profile from scratch should fix it.

--
Brad Isaac
editor-in-chief, www.pocketpcaddict.com
Developer, Achieve-IT! Goal Setter for Pocket PC
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:30:07 PM

wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I want to use another PC for Outlook & ActiveSync. I moved my pst-file
>to the new computer and installed activesync. When i connect my PDA to
>the new computer it detects a new device that has never been synched
>before. How can i tell as that the PDA _has been synched_ with Outlook
>before?

The partnership is with the computer, not with Outlook. In fact, if
you have an NT-based operating system (NT, 2K or XP), each _user_
(logon id) needs a separate partnership. I'm pretty sure you can get
around this by copying some registry keys from the "old" computer to
the "new" one.

>I tried to take over the directory %userroot%\app data...\active
>sync\My_PPC, but after that as doesn't work any more. It only detects an
>error.
>
>Thank you very much!
>Stefan

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP