Sign in with
Your question

Rank components with most performance boost effect

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2006 9:18:43 AM

Hi all, advice needed!

I have just got a High Definition Camcorder (HDV) and now need a PC to do all the usual video editing stuff. By the way, I don’t play games much and hoping to do it on an average budget. I have never done OC but willing to venture into this arena to increase performance.

How does the system below perform? In which order should I upgrade first to get more video editing power i.e. which component upgrade would have most effect? Would a top end graphics card help?

CPU: E6300
Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe
Ram: Corsair Value Select 2Gb DDR2 5400 533mHz
HDD: Hitachi 250gb 7200rpm 16mb * 2 in Raid 1
GFX: Sapphire X1600XT
Mon: 19” widescreen with DVI

Thanks
September 15, 2006 11:25:14 AM

if your doing just harcore video editing and not alot of gaming and not really interested in OCing you could get a cheaper mobo, the P5B is a decent price and one of the best conroe boards. e6300 is great, i edit with premeire occasionally and it's faster then my old p4 hands down. Try to get a better kind of memory, corsair is a great company but their value select line blows they dont really even make it. xms is pretty expensive too, I found some decent mushkin memory for under 200 (2gb) also if you're definately not OCing go with ddr2 533 instead of 667, you'll get better performance. As far as HDs go, I used to be a DIE HARD Western Digital fan but now I find myself using and reccomending the seagate 7200.10 PRM (or whatever it is) drives, they are a little faster and still cheap, two in raid 0 will be plenty room and speed for your editing. You dont need a great video card for video editing, you can save alot of money here by getting a cheap 50-100 dollar one, if you think you might play just get the 7600GT for like 150-170, its great.
September 15, 2006 11:29:14 AM

and as for the order of benefits and such, i'd say get the processor/ mobo/ memory first, then your hard disks and vid crd.

you might have to buy the card with the mobo/cpu/memory if you dont have another pci-e video card, If you need to be held over with an old AGP card, ASRock makes a AGP/PCI-E conroe mobo.
Related resources
September 15, 2006 8:24:32 PM

I you are serious with your video editing I would just hold tight untill quad core is released at the end of the year, that will give you a huge boost.
September 15, 2006 9:00:58 PM

... If hes thinking of getting an e6300, no way he's going to blow money on a quad-core... I'm estimating at least $400-500 for the basic model...

Processor is fine, you can oc that to maybe 2.5 without too much of a problem on the P5B, keeping stock everything. Memory wise, check outpost.com, since they usually have good memory deals, I got my friend some nice XMS PC5400 DDR2 memory for 140 or so, memory prices are dropping back down a bit, so the more you wait, the cheaper things will be.

Get regular P5B, no need for deluxe, unless you really want the wireless...

I would suggest the new 320Gig perpendicular Seagate drives, since they offer superior performance over regular drives. You'll be doing a lot of reading and writing with those huge DV files, so that would help too.

Do you really need Raid? I doubt your HDD's will die, if you really want to be safe, go for it. Shrug...
September 15, 2006 10:20:05 PM

What ever mobo you get make sure it has onboard firewire. From what I've seen on most of the new Intel boards you have to get SLI in order to get onboard firewiremost, which sucks since you don't need it for what you want to do. I think I did see and MSI board that had firewire but wasn't SLI
September 16, 2006 1:10:20 AM

Quote:
... If hes thinking of getting an e6300, no way he's going to blow money on a quad-core... I'm estimating at least $400-500 for the basic model...

Quad Core will be $999 when released.

OP: Do not buy ValueSelect RAM. Look at G.Skill, Muskin, or Corsair XMS. ValueRAM is not very good. Try to get DDR2-5300 RAM as well so you can overclock some.
September 16, 2006 1:47:59 AM

For video editing it RAM, HDDs, processor. If you are planing video encoding it is processor, RAM, HDDs.

If you are serious about editing it requires large amounts of RAM and good HDD IO, lots of HDD space. This way you can work in raw formats. 2-3 gigs of RAM should do and for both HDD IO and space you can't beat a large raid 0. Most boards will support 4 drives but some can do 6 now and with 300 GB drives around $60 it doesn't even hurt the pocket too much.

CPU power isn't much of a concern as most of the time you will be editing. Any encoding you need to do can be done over night. Then who cares if it takes 1 hour or 6.

Now if you just plan on just ripping DVDs to mp4 it is all about the CPU.

The only reason to get a good GPU is for games. A low to mid range one should work for just about every thing else, including HD play back.
!