Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

An inquiry about connecting a Hi-Fi system with the pc

Last response: in Components
Share
September 15, 2006 10:24:37 AM

I want to buy a panasonic stereo system to connect with my pc. i used to have an old one and connect it through aux and the audio was real nice. The new ones though instead of aux have a "music port" to connect ipods and stuff and hence has only one channel input unlike the aux on previous models that have a right and left speaker input. If i got a new one would the audio be any good coming from only one channel or should i go with a couple of years older technology and get one with aux?
September 15, 2006 11:12:03 AM

I suspect that it will have a stereo TRS jack, so it will be a stereo input anyway (if not, it's one hell of a crap system!)

You need a 3.5 minijack to 3.5 minijack stereo cable. Any hi-fi / electronics / computer store should be able to get you one.

Or you could buy one from Amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Stereo-Cable-3-5-Plug/dp/B000...

That's what you'd want to look for, anyway - a cable with those ends!
September 15, 2006 1:13:35 PM

That 1 channel input you’re talking about may be the coax digital input and not the auxiliary stereo input. Although most computers now-a day has coax digital output built in, and can be connected together with analog output from the computer through mini connection. Your Computer may not have the output for digital.

Ask the dealer if the Panasonic Stereo that you’re buying has digital coax input which I think it has. Then all you need is a sound card that has Digital output. But if your computer has digital output then you don't need anything else unless you want something better.
But Hifi Stereo with analog and digital inputs is better a better choice.

Just to give you an Idea.
This one Diamond XtremeSound with analog and S/PDIF (digital coax) IN/OUT.
Or this AOpen Cobra with analog and S/PDIF (digital coax) IN/OUT and Opitcal IN/OUT.

More Expensive AuzenTech HDA X-Plosion.
Related resources
September 15, 2006 1:23:54 PM

Sorry for confusion, those are in two different sites Canadian and American.
September 15, 2006 2:38:36 PM

the sound card i have is the audigy 2 and i remember that it supports digital output and stuff. i know quite a lot of stuff about building pcs but about the audio part i don't know jack sh*t, so i got slightly confused with all the coaux stuff and such. The problem is that the panasonic site doesn't mention much about the kind of digital input aside from the fact that it's called "music port"..... and am studying in a foreign country where not everyone speaks english so asking questions the personel is something not really feasible... thx for trying to help me though.

p.s i also checked some specs on the line of different panasonic stereos i am interested and from what i ve seen in some websites they list that they don't have a digital input. will it be fine connecting it with just analog?
September 15, 2006 8:19:53 PM

also can anyone tell me the difference between a 2-way-2speaker system and a 3-way-3-speaker system? both systems have 2 speakers so i am sure i am missing something... god i suck at home audio...
September 15, 2006 9:55:08 PM

Quote:
the sound card i have is the audigy 2 and i remember that it supports digital output and stuff. i know quite a lot of stuff about building pcs but about the audio part i don't know jack sh*t, so i got slightly confused with all the coaux stuff and such. The problem is that the panasonic site doesn't mention much about the kind of digital input aside from the fact that it's called "music port"..... and am studying in a foreign country where not everyone speaks english so asking questions the personel is something not really feasible... thx for trying to help me though.

p.s i also checked some specs on the line of different panasonic stereos i am interested and from what i ve seen in some websites they list that they don't have a digital input. will it be fine connecting it with just analog?


What's the model of the Panasonic?
September 15, 2006 10:38:15 PM

Quote:
also can anyone tell me the difference between a 2-way-2speaker system and a 3-way-3-speaker system? both systems have 2 speakers so i am sure i am missing something... god i suck at home audio...


A two way speaker has a woofer and a tweeter, a three way speaker has a woofer a tweeter and either a mid ranger or a super tweeter, typically they have a mid range in them.
September 15, 2006 10:41:40 PM

Quote:
A two way speaker has a woofer and a tweeter, a three way speaker has a woofer a tweeter and either a mid ranger or a super tweeter, typically they have a mid range in them.


soundwise how much better would a 3x3 speaker sound compared to a 2x2? would spending about 30-40 bucks more be justified?
September 15, 2006 11:31:39 PM

Quote:
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/hi-fi/index.htm
the ones that i care about are the three mini systems...


These are pretty basic systems. What you have to make sure of is that they have RCA jacks and/or optical, if optical, your sound card with have to have an optical. As for the 3 way speakers, there usually better than 2 way all else being equal, i.e., basically the same quality of speaker. Couldn't get to the page with the prices so have no idea what you have to spend or how much space you have to work with. I wouldn't put too much into a system like this. If you can afford it and have the space, you'd be way ahead buying components. One the sound will be better, two, you'll have more options for connecting components including the cmputer, and three, you'll be able to upgrade overtime
September 15, 2006 11:49:57 PM

Quote:

These are pretty basic systems. What you have to make sure of is that they have RCA jacks and/or optical, if optical, your sound card with have to have an optical. As for the 3 way speakers, there usually better than 2 way all else being equal, i.e., basically the same quality of speaker. Couldn't get to the page with the prices so have no idea what you have to spend or how much space you have to work with. I wouldn't put too much into a system like this. If you can afford it and have the space, you'd be way ahead buying components. One the sound will be better, two, you'll have more options for connecting components including the cmputer, and three, you'll be able to upgrade overtime


at the country i am now they are sold at about $200 the simple and each higher model is about 30-40 bucks more. my audigy doesn't have optical connector and neither does the hi-fi to my knowledge.

about the rca connectors, is the rca a general name or a specific connector?
i ve searched the whole world wide web and couldn't find anything that specifies exactly the type of port the goddamn "music port" is.

the music ports was mainly built to connect ipods, mp3 players and stuff which don't deliver a very high definition audio, so my main concern is if the sound quality that the hi-fi will be getting from the audigy 2 be as good as it should be or inferior...
September 16, 2006 12:12:06 AM

RCA audio connectors are Red (+) and White (-) and are shorter and fatter than connectors you connect computer speakers to the sound card, sorry don't know the precise size off the top of my head. I have my computer sound card, an Audigy2 ZS, running into my receiver using the RCA plugs into the reciever. Sound is better than thorugh my computer speakers but not as good as the CD player. None of the systems you're looking at will give you really good sound. I think you'd get better sound out of a medium price set of computer speakers. I have an older set of Creative i Trague 3200 and the sound, at least for music, is pretty good and they were less than $100, they're 2.1, i.e., stereo. Unless you can get into components, i.e., reciver and speakers, I don't think the sound quality will be that good, again a decent set of computer speakers will sound better. I think you'd have to put in minimally $400 t0 $500 American dollars into a sound system to get it to sound better than a good set of computer speakers.
September 16, 2006 12:21:38 AM

The three way speaker will usually sound better, but depending on your ear it may not be worth the extra money.

A low tech way to find digital input is the color of the RCA port. If it is black or orange there is a good chance that it is digital. If it is white it is single channel (mono) input.

The more involved way it to try to look up the part online.
September 16, 2006 12:37:55 AM

Quote:
The three way speaker will usually sound better, but depending on your ear it may not be worth the extra money.

A low tech way to find digital input is the color of the RCA port. If it is black or orange there is a good chance that it is digital. If it is white it is single channel (mono) input.

The more involved way it to try to look up the part online.


i ve read somewhere in the internet that it doesn't support digital input... does analog\digital have much of a difference?
September 16, 2006 12:47:31 AM

Quote:
RCA audio connectors are Red (+) and White (-) and are shorter and fatter than connectors you connect computer speakers to the sound card, sorry don't know the precise size off the top of my head. I have my computer sound card, an Audigy2 ZS, running into my receiver using the RCA plugs into the reciever. Sound is better than thorugh my computer speakers but not as good as the CD player. None of the systems you're looking at will give you really good sound. I think you'd get better sound out of a medium price set of computer speakers. I have an older set of Creative i Trague 3200 and the sound, at least for music, is pretty good and they were less than $100, they're 2.1, i.e., stereo. Unless you can get into components, i.e., reciver and speakers, I don't think the sound quality will be that good, again a decent set of computer speakers will sound better. I think you'd have to put in minimally $400 t0 $500 American dollars into a sound system to get it to sound better than a good set of computer speakers.


about the connectors i have a type of cable that i used to connect an old hi-fi with my pc and it's thin on one end (fits the sound card) and it has two others ends as a red and white connectors... they are the fat type you described... am guessing though that the "music port" will require that it also has a thin type connector, can't be sure though... i think some guy already mentioned in this topic about a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector...
September 16, 2006 12:31:36 PM

Quote:
RCA audio connectors are Red (+) and White (-) and are shorter and fatter than connectors you connect computer speakers to the sound card, sorry don't know the precise size off the top of my head. I have my computer sound card, an Audigy2 ZS, running into my receiver using the RCA plugs into the reciever. Sound is better than thorugh my computer speakers but not as good as the CD player. None of the systems you're looking at will give you really good sound. I think you'd get better sound out of a medium price set of computer speakers. I have an older set of Creative i Trague 3200 and the sound, at least for music, is pretty good and they were less than $100, they're 2.1, i.e., stereo. Unless you can get into components, i.e., reciver and speakers, I don't think the sound quality will be that good, again a decent set of computer speakers will sound better. I think you'd have to put in minimally $400 t0 $500 American dollars into a sound system to get it to sound better than a good set of computer speakers.


about the connectors i have a type of cable that i used to connect an old hi-fi with my pc and it's thin on one end (fits the sound card) and it has two others ends as a red and white connectors... they are the fat type you described... am guessing though that the "music port" will require that it also has a thin type connector, can't be sure though... i think some guy already mentioned in this topic about a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector...

The set up you described is what you'll need to the connect the computer to the new system so you'll need RCA connectors on the back of the new audio system. You'll need both the Red and White for true stereo. If there is only one input, you'll have a mono connection and would connect the sound card to the audio system using the White plug. Given the paucity of information on these audio systmes, if possible, I'd go to a store and look at the back to see exactly what you're getting.
September 16, 2006 12:49:18 PM

i ll go to the store in a while and hopefully someone ll be speaking english... the the music port is only a one input connector... mainly because it's built to connect ipods, mp3 players and such... some people said though that with a stereo 3.5mm-3.5mm connector might be ok....
September 16, 2006 1:43:21 PM

Take anything the sales person says with a shaker of salt, as often as not they don't know what they're talking about. I don't know if the connector for an MP3 player will work for hooking up a computer. Googling would likely give you the answer. If you have access to a laptop, take it and the wiring with you and hookup it up to the system and see if and how it works. Best way to find out how something will work is to try it in the way you'll use it, just like test driving a car.
September 16, 2006 5:17:19 PM

Quote:
Take anything the sales person says with a shaker of salt, as often as not they don't know what they're talking about. I don't know if the connector for an MP3 player will work for hooking up a computer. Googling would likely give you the answer. If you have access to a laptop, take it and the wiring with you and hookup it up to the system and see if and how it works. Best way to find out how something will work is to try it in the way you'll use it, just like test driving a car.


I came a while ago from the sales rep and he told me that the "music port" is stereo input, and that it's the same as the aux it's just that they have put in front, i have thought as well to take a laptop or something there but i don't have one... bummer... they also have similar panasonic stereos that instead have the old familiar aux with it's right and left speaker inputs on the back but it's just that they don't look as nice as the other one. I ll probably get the one with the music port and i ll tell the guy that if the sound is not good to take it back and exchange it with a one that has aux input.

something else that i would want to ask is, the aux with a separate right and left speaker input can can have the same quality input with a one jack-in input (that the music port has, it's connector is similar to a headphone connector)? or does the aux that has two connectors (for each speaker) has better sound? or could a two input connector have the same quality as a one input connector?
i really suck at this stuff.
September 16, 2006 5:44:46 PM

Keep in mind these are not speaker inputs, they are component inputs, speaker connectors are outputs. Good idea to see what their return polcy is and if there is a restocking fee. I'd take a CD with you that has a wide range of sounds to test the sound quality, which is the most important factor in your decision. I'll be curious to see if you can connect the sound card to this system with the connector you're talking about. I'm pretty certain it's not an optical digital connection, the male on these look like a little glass bulb. Too bad you don't know anyone you can borrow a laptop form for a couple of hours, likely save yourself a lot of time Finally, I'm guessing the systems with the RCA connections are probably higher quality. In fact, I would think the best systems would have both the RCA as well as the mp3 connections.
September 16, 2006 8:23:42 PM

a guy has mention these type of connectors would work with the sound card and the music port. http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Stereo-Cable-3-5-Plug/dp/B000...

and from what i ve seen with the input on the music port and sound card seems to be ok... i hope am able to find these type of connectors here.

now am just torn between what to get... the one with the music port is such a pretty hi-fi (the one with the aux is a little bit nah), but if the sound was to be pathetic obviously it wouldn't be worth it... oh i ll see in the following days what to do.... electronic life sucks.
September 16, 2006 10:08:02 PM

Quote:
a guy has mention these type of connectors would work with the sound card and the music port. http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Stereo-Cable-3-5-Plug/dp/B000...

and from what i ve seen with the input on the music port and sound card seems to be ok... i hope am able to find these type of connectors here.

now am just torn between what to get... the one with the music port is such a pretty hi-fi (the one with the aux is a little bit nah), but if the sound was to be pathetic obviously it wouldn't be worth it... oh i ll see in the following days what to do.... electronic life sucks.


Wiring the computer to the system isn't really the issue, the questions is will the system read and process the signal from the computer. I think sound quality and in you case connections are number 1 and appearance iis number 2. In a day or 2 after you have it, you likely won't even notice what it looks like. Remember, buying toys is supposed to be fun.
September 16, 2006 10:20:43 PM

Quote:
Wiring the computer to the system isn't really the issue, the questions is will the system read and process the signal from the computer. I think sound quality and in you case connections are number 1 and appearance iis number 2. In a day or 2 after you have it, you likely won't even notice what it looks like. Remember, buying toys is supposed to be fun.


i know... i am just trying to get something that i like looking at + some good sound quality. if there is a small sound quality loss i don't really mind, it's not like am gonna spend 500 bucks... but if the sound quality was to be at half than normal then yeah it would suck... i have a friend that lives near the shop and she has a laptop so i might ask her nicely to come with me to the shop to connect them and see how good it sounds. Hope it's more than fine and to finish with this bitter choosing thing in my life... sorry to keep mumbling all the time... it's just a time period in my life that things keep going the wrong way... thx a lot though for trying to help me out.
September 16, 2006 11:03:12 PM

Make sure she has a couple mp3 and wav files to check the system. Let us know how it works out. Remember, as long as to take care of business things will eventually turn to the good.
September 16, 2006 11:07:21 PM

i have my pc wired to my home theatre using a 3.5 from my on board sound to aux rca inputs on my recever and it sounds fine(even with a 25' line) you will prolly be ok doing 3.5 to 3.5 (3.5 looks lie a small headphone jack)
September 17, 2006 12:29:54 PM

Quote:
i have my pc wired to my home theatre using a 3.5 from my on board sound to aux rca inputs on my recever and it sounds fine(even with a 25' line) you will prolly be ok doing 3.5 to 3.5 (3.5 looks lie a small headphone jack)


if you know, from a techinical point of view does a 3.5 minijack has the same sound quality with the rca inputs, i mean is there a difference between them or is it just same thing different kind of plug?
September 17, 2006 3:46:56 PM

im not 100% sure But ive never noticed a quality diffrence until you go fibre optic,the exception is if you use a high pwr sub then you get slightly better bass responce when using good oxyigen free copper lines (like monster stuff)
April 2, 2012 2:27:06 PM

g-paw said:
Quote:
the sound card i have is the audigy 2 and i remember that it supports digital output and stuff. i know quite a lot of stuff about building pcs but about the audio part i don't know jack sh*t, so i got slightly confused with all the coaux stuff and such. The problem is that the panasonic site doesn't mention much about the kind of digital input aside from the fact that it's called "music port"..... and am studying in a foreign country where not everyone speaks english so asking questions the personel is something not really feasible... thx for trying to help me though.

p.s i also checked some specs on the line of different panasonic stereos i am interested and from what i ve seen in some websites they list that they don't have a digital input. will it be fine connecting it with just analog?


What's the model of the Panasonic?


SA-VK750,doesn't have aux,audio in,cd in tape out/tape in,,,it only has video in and out and component video in and out,,then in the lower part is REC out which has to input on it..I tried it but nithing happened..I don't know how to use it as a speaker using my pc..
!