FragMachine

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I have a standard ASUS (now referred to in my house as ASS) P5B motherboard. I've just replaced the stock heatsink fan with a ThermalRight SI-128 - and boy that is one cool beast.

I've attached a 120mm Q-Tec fan to the heatsink, but this is where my problems begin. The Q-Tec fan is a standard 3pin fan, the stock intel HSF has a 4pin connector (not molex) and because of this my new fan cannot have the fan speed controlled by the QFan software - i am guess this is what this new mysterious 4th pin does.

Does anyone know how I can control the fan speed? Is there a CPU 4pin to 3pin converter available? I've not been able to find one - or are there any 120mm fans that have this new 4pin configuration? Again not been able to find any, not even on eBay!!!!

SpeedFan say they will release support for the motherboard in the future but I was hoping to find an alternative.

Thanks in advance for any help.

FragMachine

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks for the reply.

I had thought about plugging it into one of the chassis fans, but I was worried that because QFan has different settings for both chassis fans and CPU fan that it wouldn't kick in when the CPU does actually get hot. Should I be worried about that or not?

Thanks

FragMachine

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Yeah the conclusion i reached is let it run at max, at least until there is an alternative to control the fan - SpeedFan for example - or i find a 120mm fan with a 4pin connector.

Thanks for your help.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I'm gladd youuuu're satisfied with that fix.You could be worse off like me.
My P5B doesn't recognize any fan I plug into it on the 3-pin CHASSIS-2 connector after WINDOWS XP SP2 boots up. However, it will see the all the fans in the BIOS, rPms and all. But not Q-Fan, nor AI, nor SPEEDFAN will see any fan. Weird.

FRUSTRATIONS...
I had ASUS once before about 10 yrs ago & it looks like they haven't changed at all. I hope you never need tech supp. from ASUS. I e-mailed ASUS back on 8/7/2006 regarding this issue, no response from them. I e-mailed them again on the 9th & 10th just to give them the benefit of the doubt, guess what...
this mobo is going back to NEWEGG.COM & I'm going by ways of GIGABYTE DQ6. I hope I have better luck with GIGA since I've never had GIGA under my roof.