Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Donating one of my computers, would like to leave XP (have retail version).
Can someone tell me the steps I need to take to format the hard drive and
then reinstall XP.

Hi Dan,

1) Get your Product Key.

2) Boot the system with the WinXP CD and start the installer.

3) Accept the license agreement (F8), then at the point where you choose the
installation location, choose instead to delete the existing system
partition.

4) Create a new partition from the free space, format and proceed with
installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
> Donating one of my computers, would like to leave XP (have retail
> version).
> Can someone tell me the steps I need to take to format the hard drive and
> then reinstall XP.

"Dan" <notme@cox.net> wrote in message
> Donating one of my computers, would like to leave XP (have retail
> version). Can someone tell me the steps I need to take to format the
> hard drive and then reinstall XP.

Make sure you include the retail WinXP CD with the machine.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> Donating one of my computers, would like to leave XP (have retail
version).
> Can someone tell me the steps I need to take to format the hard drive and
> then reinstall XP.

Make sure you do this in the order shown:

1) Format the hard drive
2) Reinstall XP

Hope this helps!