Sign in with
Your question

Geforce 2 mx400 with Windows XP SP 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 15, 2006 1:10:00 PM

I upgraded from windows 2000 to windows xp SP2 and now im having probs with video drivers. In system hardware device it shows Geforce 2 mx 400 but when you right click on desktop go to properties, setting, and advance tab it shows no adapter. If i uninstall SP2 then it shows it? is there a way to fix this? help would be most appreciated

PS dxdiag will not let me test anything but directdraw I Know it supports Directx 9.0c but it will not show up as primary display adapter

More about : geforce mx400 windows

September 15, 2006 1:51:44 PM

Excuse me but you have a dual-core processor, decent memory but an extremely old GPU :? .

When you upgraded from 2k to xp, maybe try reinstalling your graphic card driver from the disk and see what happens.
September 15, 2006 2:57:23 PM

I had similar problems with my old rig when I replaced a fried gf2pro with gf2mx400. Had to use some very old nvidia drivers (version 45.xx or something) to get it working.

diApaM
Related resources
September 15, 2006 3:37:17 PM

Download and install new drivers.
September 15, 2006 5:07:28 PM

Actually, I had to use an GeForce 2MX recently due to my main card crapping out. I didn't have the installtion CD so I just went to Nvidia's site and used their latest drivers, which support pretty much every GPU they've ever made.
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2006 5:52:22 PM

I've seen this numerous times when building beginner PC's for people using GeForce 256 and GeForce2 cards. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I've encountered. For some reason, nVidia dropped support of the GeForce 256 and all models of the GeForce2 (GTS, MX, etc...) from their latest drivers. The 45.23 drivers are the latest I've found that still incorporate support for these in them. I've heard rumors that there's a 6x.xx version that does, but I haven't had time to go through all of them to find which one it is. Just go to the drivers page on nVidia's website, then go to archived drivers and grab the 45.23 drivers. There's no performance difference on that old of a card between those and the newest ones anyways. That will definitely take care of your problem.
September 15, 2006 6:04:07 PM

Quote:
PS dxdiag will not let me test anything but directdraw I Know it supports Directx 9.0c but it will not show up as primary display adapter

it is not a dx9 card. While dx9 will "run" on it (it is dx9 compatable) the problem is that it will be running dx7 code paths b/c the card has no native dx9 support. It came out long before dx9 was released. Pretty sure that card is native dx7, but can't remember that for sure... it may have dx8 but I doubt it. For sure it does not have native dx9. What this all means is that any test that requires a particular directX (like dx9) and does not have a path for older cards will not run. (like 3dMark)

The advice above on the older drivers is probably your best bet. No worries about the dx9 thing though man, that card is fine if you don't do any gaming or 3d rendering.
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2006 6:38:56 PM

Hi Nebby,
It is well known that nVidia has dropped early vidcard models from the latest driver support.
Here is a quick link to the listing:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/91.47_winxp_32_supported.html
Lemme see here - it looks like the GeForce2 MX 400 IS still supported, however your GeForce2 Ti (and the Asus GeForce2 GTS and Creative GeForce256 DDR I had) are not.
I recently had a nice older rig from the 90's on my bench, tons of memory and it was strong enough to run WinXP but it had some nVidia graphics 'challenges'...
Y'see there are little plateaus in the nVidia driver heirarchy - there are 56.72 and 66.93 which are popular on older vidcards, for example.
Recent drivers 66.93 and newer will break NeedForSpeed HotPursuit2 on the GeForce2 GTS, you must use 56.72 which is kinda, um, older y'know?
Anyway these older vidcards, the GF2 GTS and a Geforce256 DDR I had, would run WinXP SP2 in the K6-III 450 no problem - dxdiag fine, AGP, everything there :^)
But the OpenGL was NFG! No OpenGL. No way, I tried every vidcard and driver combination and I am very experienced. No GLQuake, no GLDoom2/Heretic/Hexen, no Quake2 (like I said, an older rig).
Of course, dxdiag will not advise you of this - I used Everest diagnostic to confirm the Quake2 failure.
For your GeForce2 and WinXP I would recommend one of the earliest nVidia drivers with full DirectX9.0c support, something like the 66.93 or maybe 71.89 at most.
But like buddy PCGeek1 says, you can pickup a nice GeForce6600 256MB for not even $100 bucks including taxes and everything, heheh...
(The AMD K6-III is happily playing OpenGL games under Win98SE. No new vidcards for it, LoL)
Regards
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2006 6:48:45 PM

Quote:
go to archived drivers and grab the 45.23 drivers. There's no performance difference on that old of a card between those and the newest ones anyways. That will definitely take care of your problem.

I agree. (A much more concise reply, LoL)
Or you could use maybe the 56.72...
@ dkapke
nVidia says 71.89 but I have had bad luck above 66.93
L8R
September 15, 2006 7:03:22 PM

Which drivers are you using? Did you reformat your drive, or just install XP over 2000? Before anything, I'd try uninstalling the graphics drivers, and installing the latest 90-series drivers. I'm typing this on a WinXP machine with a GF2 MX400, and there have never been any grahpics-related problems.
September 16, 2006 1:25:25 PM

I did A Fresh install. Formated installed xp installed SP 2 install all updates. then I installed nvidia drivers 91.53 i think. whatever the latest is. and then tryed a couple of older ones til i got to 79 or81.

I use to have a geforce 4 ti 4200 that i was using but it crapped out. so im using old card. Was saving money til the new dx 10 come out. Or if I cannot last that long I may just got and x1800 or 7900 series. Im not sure which one would be best. I play Everquest mostly but when I want to kill something the only game i can play is UT2004. on ultra low settings and i still get lag. But after i upgrade my mem to 1gig and better Vid I want to get into ultra fps games like FEAR and junk like that.
September 16, 2006 2:09:23 PM

I have the same GPU and works fine on windows xp sp 2. You could try installing new drivers.....
September 17, 2006 1:50:02 PM

Ok Ive downloaded all the way down to 45.23 and still cannot get it to SP2 to read the stupid card. I am just going to go to Ebay and buy a POS card for temp. thanks for the help guys
!