Upgrade solution

tech960

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I'm going to pull the trigger on a core 2 duo, but I am going to wait for dx10 before upgrading the video card. Can anyone reccomend a 775 board that still has an agp slot?

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
What are you trying to salvage from your current system?

I would assume that you want a board with both AGP and PCI-Express so you wouldn't have to buy a new motherboard when you get a DX10 card. The problem is, no motherboard for LGA 775 has both. At least I didn't see one listed on Newegg. Why would you want to waste your money on a motherboard when you are going to have to buy another one when you upgrade to PCI-Express?

I think it'd be a better idea to just wait for DX10 before buying C2D or bite the bullet and get a ~$100 PCI-Express card with a PCI-Express motherboard.

You might be able to sell your AGP card to help pay for your new PCI-Express card.

Milbo183

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Hi,there.

Actually,there is one mb that support both AGP & PCI-E.
Asrock 775 Dual-VSTA.
It also supports both DDR and DDR-2,but mighy not give the best performance in terms of speed.

tech960

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
well I want to upgrade my cpu and motherboard now, and wait to upgrade my vid card. My current vcard is agp so I'm in kind of a bind here.

All in all I guess it's a hell of a time to upgrade. Perhaps I can hold out a bit longer

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
ASRock 775 Dual-VSTA - The descriptions states that it only supports Pentium D / Pentium 4 HT / Celeron D. At least on Newegg it does. That why I couldn't find it.

I went to ASRock's website where it does state that it supports C2D. ASRock 775 Dual-VSTA Website

I'd be careful to make sure you get the latest BIOS already on the motherboard. There was one comment made in Newegg that the person couldn't get the E6400 to work with BIOS V1.3. Now, if you go to ASRock's website it states that V1.5 was were is was fine tune(d) for Conroe CPU. Naturally the MB wouldn't post with V1.3 for the guy. Didn't do his research. Current BIOS version is V1.8. Make sure the MB you get has at least V1.5 so you can update it to V1.8.

With this motherboard you don't have to wait unless you want to get a better motherboard than this one like an ASUS P5B or Deluxe version if you were looking to overclock.

Milbo183

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I recently used one in a system i built,and so far it runs fine. It´s not the greatest mb,but it does the job if you´re running a stock system.

Milbo183

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Well,i don´t remember,and it´s not around. But the box stated it was core2 ready,and it worked a charm,so i guess it was the correct bios. BTW, i´m in Denmark.

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Did you update the BIOS on the motherboard? If not, when the computer boots, check what version it is. That way we know for sure at least what BIOS Version will work with the C2D for the OP.

Milbo183

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
No,i didn´t update the bios,and i built it for a friend,so i can´t answer that one now.but anyways,just to be sure it never hurts to update if in doubt. My hardware supplier is a good friend,so i always get the newest stuff.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
perferably something without a VIA chipset though.
As joefriday said, the AsRock 775i65G gives you what you ask for. Just buy it retail so you get Rev 2.0 or later which works with Conroe chips. Earlier ones don't.
The advantages of this board:
A). It lets you keep your AGP card and DDR400 ram.
B). It makes a cheap (and Throw-away!) path to upgrade to a Conroe.
C). It FORCES you to get a good mobo when it's time to upgrade you videocard, rather than try to put a high-speed PCI-E card into a slot that only runs 4 lanes (like the VIA PCI-E does).

Drawbacks:
A). It is slow. The ram and video also will hinder you getting the most from a new Conroe.
B). You will have to throw it away when you move up to DX10.

tech960

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
well the more I consider my options, and considering i already have 2 sata drives with plans on buying a few more (as always) I am just going to bite the bullet and get a full blown system now, with vid card and all. I am just wondering if my old antec 400w PSU will suffice of if I need a new case/psu.