Sign in with
Your question

PC's are Eco Unfriendly.

Last response: in CPUs
September 15, 2006 4:25:40 PM

Did you know that a PC with a 500w power supply produces so much carbon dioxide ( from the energy it uses ) that if you left it on 24hrs a day for a year... it would take 1000 trees to remove the CO2 it produced.

So if you wonder why the planet has been acting weird recently consider turning off those power hungry items when you aren't using them.

Just a thought to our younger readers... who might want a planet for their children in the future.

More about : eco unfriendly

September 15, 2006 4:52:25 PM

If thats so, then do your part and turn off your PC. Now
EDIT: Throw it out the window while your at it. you can never be too safe when it comes to nature! Now take your head and shove it up your ass. You'll be safe from global warming there.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2006 4:59:16 PM

Quote:
Did you know that a PC with a 500w power supply produces so much carbon dioxide ( from the energy it uses ) that if you left it on 24hrs a day for a year... it would take 1000 trees to remove the CO2 it produced.

So if you wonder why the planet has been acting weird recently consider turning off those power hungry items when you aren't using them.

Just a thought to our younger readers... who might want a planet for their children in the future.

Quick everyone! Head for the hills! The greenies have invaded Tom's Forumz!!!! Is no place safe from eco-propoganda?!?!?!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 15, 2006 5:01:54 PM

Your argument is stupid even if it is true. Most of the CO2 that is removed from the air is not removed by trees but by green algae in the oceans. All the trees on the earth only handle a small percentage of CO2 so its a really bad comparison. You should be more worried about pollution in the oceans and not people who leave their computers on.
September 15, 2006 5:06:36 PM

Meh....six or a 1/2 dozen of the other.....Using my computer takes 100 trees to scrub CO2, okay. I guess I could stop using a computer and just do everything in pencil and paper......oh wait, that would probably kill 1,000 trees. Oops.

You should talk to cattle ranchers. Get them to stop their cattle from farting so much. Then I could run my PC 24/7. :wink:
September 15, 2006 5:13:05 PM

Hey I knew his sn looked familiar. This is the Delete Me guy.
September 15, 2006 5:18:43 PM

Quote:

Quick everyone! Head for the hills! The greenies have invaded Tom's Forumz!!!! Is no place safe from eco-propoganda?!?!?!

haha.....They're everywhere!

What about me with the solar pannels on the roof and wind turbine in the garden? Do i still kill kittens?
September 15, 2006 5:20:22 PM

Jeebus, the real problem is cars and the internal combustion engine.

Well, if the american administration and other goverments hadnt destroyed the development of electric cars in the 1970's then we wouldnt be in this mess. By now, electric cars would have become mainstream if the goverments hadnt bought out the companys and destroyed all their work, all of it because they want to keep the oil industry alive because without it Bush couldnt fight wars, and the emir couldnt build his cruise ship palaces.

the worlds a crap place now, too many people spoon fed about what to believe, people who have lost their sense of identity, people who are not open to change and can never question their religion, teachings or goverments.
September 15, 2006 5:22:37 PM

Quote:

Gah...you all have to realize, Cars are not that much of a problem. Cows produce a LOT more Green house gases than cars do. But do we hear people complaining about them? NO! Probably cos they taste too good....and all you Americans love your beef burgers too much.

And a quick question, why are beef burgers sometimes called "hamburgers"? Surely a Hamburger would be made of pork not beef....
September 15, 2006 5:22:40 PM

His post is a troll post.

Do not reply to trolls. It is the only way to make them go away.

Do not feed the trolls.
September 15, 2006 5:23:35 PM

Quote:

Do not feed the trolls.

Most people here will be replying for 1 reason:

post count.
a c 83 à CPUs
a c 84 ) Power supply
September 15, 2006 5:24:45 PM

No, but I see a problem with birds....

I'd like to see some math on this. I'll bet he'd use 500W in there somewhere. Leave it to eco nut to use bad math.

Electric cars are a joke. Hybrids aren't to bad, but cars you have to plug in at night are worthless. Your still making polution at night when you recharge from the powerplant. (most power still isn't renewable/nuclear.) So smoke still rises, just not from the back of your midget mobile.
September 15, 2006 5:25:08 PM

Yes, PCs are not environmentally friendly.

But the again, cars aren't either, but we still use them...and paper, and fossil fuels...

A human environmentalist is an oxymoron because the most environmentally unfriendly thing on the face of the earth is the mammal Homo Sapiens. If people were really looking to do the earth a favor, we would have to die.
September 15, 2006 5:35:53 PM

then you've never lived in a cold country since here 8 months of the year we still need to plug our cars in if we want them to start in the morning :) 
September 15, 2006 5:39:46 PM

gee, computers are non eco-frendly? Hey thanks a bunch Captain Obvious!! :D 

I guess the all the metal and chemical compounds used in the manufacturing process just sneaked by all of us! 8O

next! :lol: 
September 15, 2006 5:46:10 PM

Quote:

Well, if the american administration and other goverments hadnt destroyed the development of electric cars in the 1970's then we wouldnt be in this mess. By now, electric cars would have become mainstream if the goverments hadnt bought out the companys and destroyed all their work, all of it because they want to keep the oil industry alive because without it Bush couldnt fight wars, and the emir couldnt build his cruise ship palaces.

the worlds a crap place now, too many people spoon fed about what to believe, people who have lost their sense of identity, people who are not open to change and can never question their religion, teachings or goverments.

Wow they destroyed electric car research in the 70s so Bush could start a war 30 years later. You are so insightful! It all makes sense now.
September 15, 2006 5:49:47 PM

Quote:

These are the kinds of asinine comparisons that make people hate hippies.
September 15, 2006 5:51:44 PM

I have a 500W PSU and my PC doesnt use 500W of power but about 60W when it idles (I surf the net and listen to such stupid post).

You got your figures wrong!

+1 post for me 8)
September 15, 2006 5:58:55 PM

Having children is ecologically unfriendly. Living on the earth is ecologically unfriendly.

True environmentalists should not have children. Because all people affect the Earth in a negative way.
September 15, 2006 6:02:15 PM

The Earth will be here long after we as a species either
A)Leave it.
B)Become extinct.
It's silly to think we can destroy this planet. Ourselves...Perhaps....
But not the planet.

Ever hear of a thing called an Ice Age? This seems to have occoured long before Bush was born. Although I'm sure it was his fault too.
September 15, 2006 6:08:02 PM

Quote:
Did you know .. etc etc

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Synergy6
September 15, 2006 6:12:44 PM

Quote:

Wow they destroyed electric car research in the 70s so Bush could start a war 30 years later. You are so insightful! It all makes sense now.
September 15, 2006 6:28:49 PM

Oh My God!!! Global warming is out to get us!!!

When will that be?

We estimate, global warming will hit us, TWO DAYS BEFORE THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW!!!!
a c 83 à CPUs
a c 84 ) Power supply
September 15, 2006 6:33:09 PM

Quote:
Because all people affect the Earth in a negative way.

Wow, where the hell do I start? All people effect the earth in a bad way? Many people, maybe even most people, but theres no way all people are "bad".
September 15, 2006 6:33:21 PM

Its kind of funny, the guy trying to tell us to stop using computers because they polute the atmosphere is using a computer to tell us this. Irony is a motha.
September 15, 2006 6:43:37 PM

I'm with you ! No one complains about Farting cows because they taste so good when you grill them up.
September 15, 2006 6:49:41 PM

Quote:
Because all people affect the Earth in a negative way.

Wow, where the hell do I start? All people effect the earth in a bad way? Many people, maybe even most people, but theres no way all people are "bad".

Hi 4745454b,
No, I 'm not saying people are bad, I'm saying people affect the Earth in a bad way. Unless we can find a way not to use electricity (coal, petro, nuc), drive (gasoline engines, won't go there), eat (farming is not the best for the environment, pesticides, clearing of native forests, fertilizers that pollute water sources), housing (clearing of native land), on and on.

People are good, what we do to the Earth is bad. But there is no way to get around it.
September 15, 2006 6:50:00 PM

Good god you guys are flippant. Whether his facts were right or not, is it really that big of a deal to turn your computer off when you're not using it? Do you leave every light in the house on all the time? Do you park your car in the garage and let it idle all night? It's not that hard to conserve energy but if no one takes the issue seriously we will run out of fossil fuels sooner than later.

I'm not a fanatic. I eat beef (wich is on the order of 100 times less energy/water efficient than soy). I drive a car (fast). I use my computer everyday but I still make an effort to conserve. It's simple physics really. Our generation doesn't realize how all this technology and development has been made possible. CHEAP ENERGY (namely oil, coal and to some extent nuclear). What do you think will happen when we can't afford to just BURN oil?

This whole thing reminds me of my last GF's father. We were talking about conservation when he said that basicaly anybody who really wants to prevent global warming should just kill themselves because we (as humans) put off so much CO2 and body heat (given that there are 6 billion of us). Now I am a physics major and have some concept of energy quantities and this is the most retarded thing I have ever heard. It's ignorant reasoning and only serves to marginalize the issue.

BTW - computers probably increase our energy efficiency on the whole. Think of how in-efficient modern business would be without them.
September 15, 2006 6:50:15 PM

Quote:
You should talk to cattle ranchers. Get them to stop their cattle from farting so much. Then I could run my PC 24/7. :wink:

:trophy: nice!
September 15, 2006 7:05:49 PM

Quote:

Do not feed the trolls.

Most people here will be replying for 1 reason:

post count.

I 2nd that! :D 
a c 99 à CPUs
September 15, 2006 7:09:07 PM

I don't want to scare you but you have TENS OF TRILLIONS of carbon dioxide producing sources within you right now!! No bull- all scientists know this little fact but have been HIDING it from you!! You see, the conversion of acetyl coenzyme A to protons creates carbon dioxide as its product. The good news is that you CAN stop this evil, polluting chemical nastiness with a few simple methods:

1. There is a toxic, corrosive gas that allows one of the precursor reactions to happen. Keeping this nasty gas from entering your body would be a way to slow the production of carbon dioxide by the acetyl CoA reaction. Completely submerging yourself in water for 15 minutes will reduce the carbon dioxide-producing reactions to a minimal rate.

2. Inhibiting the enzymes that cause the oxyhydrocarbon precursors to acetyl CoA from turning themselves into acetyl CoA will slow the carbon dioxide conversion process. Fortunately there is a drug already on the market that can inhibit these reactions- 1000 units of insulin will do the trick.

3. You can also jam up the back end of the reaction and prevent further carbon-dioxide reactions from happening by letting the body think that there is enough carbon dioxide already present and that it doesn't need to produce any more as all of these pathways are tightly regulated by the amount of products to the amount of reactants. So you need to inhale enough carbon dioxide to fool the reactions into stalling out. So if you want to be ecologically friendly and not make any more CO2, you can use your own CO2 produced during these reactions to stop further reactions. You need to enter a small airtight chamber in order to prevent any from spilling out and polluting the outside. It takes some time to stop the carbon dioxide-producing reactions, but you will succeed after a length of time and it will become apparent when you do so as you will feel like you never have before.

Now since I am not as dedicated to the cause as you and a little unsure of myself, I first will give you the opportunity to try one of these 3 methods first...
September 15, 2006 7:15:31 PM

Before you get all preachy on us... oops... too late... I'd like to suggest an alternate theory... maybe it's the fact that in the history of this planet it has never had to support as many people as it does now. You convince everyone to stop having so damned many kids and I'll consider shutting off my computer.
September 15, 2006 7:17:27 PM

:lol: 
September 15, 2006 7:30:34 PM

Quote:

OH MY GOD WE'RE KILLING EVERYTHING. quick throw away everything you own, turn off all your elecrical and gas appliances, park your cars and start walking everywhere you go. :roll: Dumbass.
Go back to hugging your tree and leave the rest of the world alone. We didn't create this planet, and no one here is big enough to destroy it. Earth is more than resiliant enough to handle our existance, it's managed to do it for many years now without your help.

We must ban work together to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide, a deadly substance, before it kill us all.
http://www.dhmo.org/
http://www.ndc.edu/sutheimer/dihydrogen%20oxide.htm
http://www.physics.uwo.ca/~harwood/dhmo.html
September 15, 2006 7:49:01 PM

Post count + 1

oh yeah, one more thing.....

September 15, 2006 7:51:51 PM

Quote:
is it really that big of a deal to turn your computer off when you're not using it? Do you leave every light in the house on all the time? Do you park your car in the garage and let it idle all night?

a) Yes
b) Never as many as I should.
b) No, but... hmm, I just had an idea. *looks for car keys*

Synergy6
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2006 7:59:09 PM

Quote:
We must ban work together to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide, a deadly substance, before it kill us all.
http://www.dhmo.org/
http://www.ndc.edu/sutheimer/dihydrogen%20oxide.htm
http://www.physics.uwo.ca/~harwood/dhmo.html

OMFG! That has to be the most toxic and deadly substance on the planet. Alert the media! It's all around us! Why haven't the Greenies jumped all over those evil corporations for using DHMO in such huge quantities! I think we should rally our legislators RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

Read this just as I was getting ready to post some of the same links...brilliant! I remember watching a TV show (I forget the show) where a sociologist went to an environmental rally at some college and actually collected over 1000 signatures on a bogus petition to ban DHMO. Just goes to show how reactionary, misdirected, and misinformed a lot of people are.

Post count +1
September 15, 2006 8:24:06 PM

I guess this wouldn't be the time to tell him my car gets 11MPG and only weighs 2700lbs.
September 15, 2006 8:24:36 PM

I'm amazed that people don't take energy usage more seriously. Ever heard of peak oil? Our way of life is utterly dependant on cheap energy but the age of cheap energy is over. Rising energy costs will create a severe world economic depression. Recovery will require a colossal and sustained investment in both research and deployment of alternative energy technologies. Re-tooling could take decades. Even an economically prosperous society would find it a struggle to operate a "war economy" like this but we will have to attempt it in a weakened, impoverished state. If we cannot find a way to mass-produce units of energy at a comparable cost to current sources our way of life could be bounced back a hundred years.

That's bad enough but it gets worse. We'll also be hit by severe climate change at the very moment our new found poverty makes it harder to cope. There will be no aid for hurricane victims if everyone else is struggling too. No relief for refugees fleeing drought or inundation from rising sea levels.

Climate change is going to be much worse than is widely understood. Every month it seems a new report reveals how the problem has been underestimated, how the feared tipping points which could potentially bounce the planet into a whole new paradigm have begun to tip. It was bad enough being on a truck hurtling downhill with no brakes but now someone has jammed their foot on the accelerator as well.

The stuff of tragedy is a "noble" character with a fatal flaw. If we were just dumb it wouldn't matter. We'd simply be another evolutionary dead end which didn't deserve to continue. But we do know what is happening and why and yet do nothing about it. Now that is a tragedy.
September 15, 2006 8:38:11 PM

Quote:
I'm amazed that people don't take energy usage more seriously. Ever heard of peak oil? Our way of life is utterly dependant on cheap energy but the age of cheap energy is over. Rising energy costs will create a severe world economic depression. Recovery will require a colossal and sustained investment in both research and deployment of alternative energy technologies. Re-tooling could take decades. Even an economically prosperous society would find it a struggle to operate a "war economy" like this but we will have to attempt it in a weakened, impoverished state. If we cannot find a way to mass-produce units of energy at a comparable cost to current sources our way of life could be bounced back a hundred years.

That's bad enough but it gets worse. We'll also be hit by severe climate change at the very moment our new found poverty makes it harder to cope. There will be no aid for hurricane victims if everyone else is struggling too. No relief for refugees fleeing drought or inundation from rising sea levels.

Climate change is going to be much worse than is widely understood. Every month it seems a new report reveals how the problem has been underestimated, how the feared tipping points which could potentially bounce the planet into a whole new paradigm have begun to tip. It was bad enough being on a truck hurtling downhill with no brakes but now someone has jammed their foot on the accelerator as well.

The stuff of tragedy is a "noble" character with a fatal flaw. If we were just dumb it wouldn't matter. We'd simply be another evolutionary dead end which didn't deserve to continue. But we do know what is happening and why and yet do nothing about it. Now that is a tragedy.

Yeah. The world is really run by corporations and religion is a sham.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pointless debates.

Go smoke a joint, hippies. Save this garbage for the philosophers and jaded journalists.

*edit* post count + 1 :) 
September 15, 2006 8:51:24 PM

I maintain that I am actually saving energy by leaving my pc on 24/7.

if it were powered off my anti virus would fail to run nightly at 2:00 AM (high cpu usage at off peak times, saves $$$)

if AV failed to run my 24/7 machine could become a malicious bot spewing spam all over the world all day every day thus creating higher loads on global servers, routers, switches, and other PCs.

This in turn would drive up global energy usage as well as CPU cycles requiring global corporatioons to buy more energy consuming computers to service my bot and all the bots it spawned which in turn speeds up the whole process!

Since my machine is old and slow (dual PIII 450) running AV during the time I am using it hurts productivity (consumes more energy)

To anyone taking this seriously please note the tounge is in the cheek :D 
September 15, 2006 8:54:14 PM

Quote:
the age of cheap energy is over.

Strange then the oil price has gone *down* in the last month or so. If the "age" were over, surely it would be spiralling upwards?

As for the rest of the waffle, save it for someone who cares. Hint #1, not a PC hardware forum. Hint #2, DEFINITELY not the CPU section of the same damn forum.

Synergy6
September 15, 2006 8:56:18 PM

I think we specialize in tongue in cheek remarks.
It takes more energy to power up a PC than it takes to leave it running or on standby.
September 15, 2006 9:04:40 PM

Quote:

This is BS until you stop using your car, the elevators in the buildings, stop eating prepared and packed food and etc.
Also, you may use energy from clean recycable sources like water, wind and sun or clean and unrecycable sources like nuclear.
September 15, 2006 9:07:00 PM

Quote:

:trophy: nice!

Post of the day award?
September 15, 2006 9:15:19 PM

Wow it must be obvious day at camp stupid
September 15, 2006 9:23:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah. The world is really run by corporations and religion is a sham.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pointless debates.

Go smoke a joint, hippies. Save this garbage for the philosophers and jaded journalists.

*edit* post count + 1 :) 

Preach on brother!! Howard Stern is in total agreement!

post_count++;
September 15, 2006 9:28:30 PM

Quote:
I remember watching a TV show (I forget the show) where a sociologist went to an environmental rally at some college and actually collected over 1000 signatures on a bogus petition to ban DHMO. Just goes to show how reactionary, misdirected, and misinformed a lot of people are.

That's actually very similar to an episode of Penn and Teller Bullsht where they went to an environmentalist rally asking for signatures to put a ban on dihydrogen monoxide. :lol:  Just a mention of how its used in different products had people in arms ready to sign. Classic~
September 15, 2006 9:28:33 PM

Quote:

World Climate runs in cycles, same with the freakin' hurricane seasons and everything else in the world. The earth will warm for a while, it'll cool for a while. It's been working that way for a long, long time now. What happened to the disasterous hurricane season the libs projected for this year? Once again....OH MY GOD, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE...EVERYONE HUNKER DOWN AND WAIT FOR THE END. I hate tree huggers.
September 15, 2006 9:32:41 PM

Did you know at night that while the sun is down that plants are throwing off more carbon dioxide then they use during the day because of no photosynthesis. Also, did you know everytime it rains that the water beating down on stone out in the middle of nowhere, where no humans are around release co2. Also did you know that Global warming is nothing but a hoax on the gulible people who have nothing better to do then preach.

R Collins
!