Sign in with
Your question

wierd memory problem

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
September 15, 2006 5:04:18 PM

i used to have 2x512mb ram until one went bad (constant errors) and i decided today to change it. i got a 1GB pc 3200 ddr (the 512mb has the same speed), and when i put them together my pc keeps crashing and the memtest 86+ gives errors... indivindually though none gives errors and everything is fine. i tried swapping them slots and stuff with no success. i ll probable take the stick back to where i got it (i hope he won't tell me a "we don't take things back crap") but until then is there anything i could try to make them both work?

More about : wierd memory problem

September 15, 2006 8:18:12 PM

Please list your complete system specs, including both brand and model number of CPU, CPU heastsink/fan, case, power supply, motherboard, graphcis card, memory, etc.
September 15, 2006 8:24:57 PM

P4 478(?) 3.2Ghz northwood stock cooling
Geforce 6600GT 128mb Agp
Case- well it's a case don't know how it could possibly have any influence.
Power supply is a 450W, don't know the brand
soyo p4vtp motherboard
the one memory is 512mb 3200 DDR mushkin
and the other one is a 1GB 3200 DDR kingmax
Related resources
September 15, 2006 8:32:49 PM

The case can make a big difference in possible heat-related situations. The PS can make a big difference in possible power-related situations (which yours may be). How long did you run memtest86+ on each DIMM? I would run it at least 2-3 hours for each DIMM. Another good test which also stresses the CPU is to download PRIME95, and run that in its "stress test" mode. Somw have found that to reveal problems more quickly than memtest86+. I would run PRIME95 on each DIMM individually for at least a couple of hours, then on both together if the individual tests don't show any errors.
September 15, 2006 10:08:09 PM

i was writing a reply a while ago and my pc crashed... it actually crashed twice in an hour which means that the 1GB that i bought today is faulty... just my luck... i have my 512 now and it's ok as always... i ll take it back on monday (saturdays are closed damnit), i only hope that the store doesn't have a no money refund choose something else policy or else i ll be very ticked off with the my constant lousy pc concerning life...
September 16, 2006 12:47:50 AM

Even if the store wont take back the RAM most manufactures have lifetime warranty.

I can attest to having a case that caused RAM to over heat and error.

It could also be that you have a bad slot so make sure you test all of them.

There also is the strange problem of some boards don't like some brands of RAM.

You should also check the timings and make sure both will run at the set speed.
September 16, 2006 12:57:37 AM

Quote:
Even if the store wont take back the RAM most manufactures have lifetime warranty.

I can attest to having a case that caused RAM to over heat and error.

It could also be that you have a bad slot so make sure you test all of them.

There also is the strange problem of some boards don't like some brands of RAM.

You should also check the timings and make sure both will run at the set speed.

i ve tried all three slots with the same effects... it's supposed to have 3 years guarrantee but with my luck i just prefer to get a refund and deal with it no more... for the time being i can live with having just 512... of course with my luck by morning time the whole stick could catch fire, burn it's self and my whole damn house.
September 16, 2006 3:41:20 AM

Quote:
... of course with my luck by morning time the whole stick could catch fire, burn it's self and my whole damn house.

You need to think positively -- think of the fun you will have designing your room in the house built to replace the burned-down one! :twisted:
September 16, 2006 6:55:06 AM

Quote:
... of course with my luck by morning time the whole stick could catch fire, burn it's self and my whole damn house.

You need to think positively -- think of the fun you will have designing your room in the house built to replace the burned-down one! :twisted:

am a student so am renting a flat, don't really care if the building is destroyed as long as me and my valuables are safe and sound. :twisted:
!