When to use the right paste...

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
All i know is....Artic Silver 5 is the best metal-based paste and it should be used on almost everything because it is better than everything. But, when are you supposed to use... say a ceramic based paste and what is the best paste of that? I know you use the paste when there is a conductance issue, but i dont know when or where that can happen.

mpjesse

Splendid
ceramic paste is typically used for large contact areas (like modern CPU's w/ integrated heat spreaders). the old AS5 aluminum, copper, and silver stuff was designed for CPU's like the Original Athlon XP's, Pentium 3's, etc in which the die is exposed.

however, AS5 will work fine and is still better for modern CPU's than thermal goo or the heatpads.

from all the benchmarks I've seen, Ceramic is the best stuff for modern CPU's. That's what I use. It also isn't electrically conductive (another good thing).

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
to be honest i have never seen benchmarks on what paste performed better than the other, but i do read these forums some, not a lot, and everything that has been recommended has been AS5. So, thanks mpjesse. Good to know about the ceramic paste being better. Basically, if i have a choice to buy AS5 or ASC i should be buying ASC. Right?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
MaximumPC did a "Showdown" of sorts not too long ago - of all the major brands of thermal paste and, while Arctic Silver 5 came out on top, the difference between the best and the worst was only about 2 degrees difference as they all, basically, produced similar results

G

Have you heard of Zalman's ZM-STG1.

I did'nt see many review, but that fingernail polish style is extremely convenient, it takes 5 seconds to apply and you can put the perfect amount, works like a charm.

Here's a quick 'n dirty review I found:
ZM-STG1 review

Very nice product!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
USE COOLABORATORY LIQUID PRO!!!!

Make sure everything you have that touches it is alumminum. Then you can see something very interesting ^.^

Or use AS5, I think I saw a review way back when saying ASC was better, but not by much either way... shrug