Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Asking to the Corsair tech support guys about the best memory configuration for the K8N Asus Mobo the response was something new to me and MUST post it here to corroborate. (I must say that my mobo currently has 2 sticks of Value Select for a total of 1 Gig and I wanted to increase memory adding a third stick of same kind).

Corsair tech support says that the best configuration for that mobo is ONLY ONE SINGLE STICK because the Socket 754 has the memory controller integrated on the CPU die and is a single memory channel only and does not have dual channel support.

The Mobo has 3 DIMMS and installing more than one stick also decreases the memory speed.

I am a bit confused about this and will like some comments.

I am willuing to replace those Value Select sticks for higher performance memory and what will you recomend for the money if you are in a budget?

Thanks.

Mondoman

Splendid
Having the extra stick may increase the "command rate" from 1T to 2T (I'm not sure of the details of your MB), but the effect will not be noticeable. Just go ahead and add a 1GB stick for a total 2GB.
However, don't buy ValueSelect brand, as it is among the worst quality of the "value" brands. Kingston's ValueRAM is much better quality, so I'd go with something like that. Just make sure that the latency timings for the new stick are the same as, or better than, what you currently have in there. You should be able to find out what your currently-running memory settings are by looking on the "Memory" tab of CPUZ or the "Chipset" (NOT "Memory") detail window of PC Wizard 2006.