Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Newly Built Computer Showing Live Electricity

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 15, 2006 7:21:44 PM

Hi there,

I have just built my new computer, and plugged it in and I have been experiencing electrical presence.

The first time I tried it, it worked fine and shown all the BIOS screens up to the point where it found no operating system (not yet installed).

Now, it wont turn on even though its connected to the AC and whenever I touch it, I get a slight shock. This could be static or full electricity.

I used an electric screwdriver and went all over the case with it. It lit up where ever I put it. I put it on the heatsink then and it lit yet again.

Washers were then used on the screws of the board just incase but unfortunatly this didnt solve the problem.

Please help! :) 
Many thanks
September 15, 2006 8:54:47 PM

Two words....

"It's alive!! Muahahahahahahaha"


No really, check your PSU because that will fry your comp into pan fried noodles. Secondly, plug a PSU directly into the outlet without anything connected to it with a power supply tester and see if it has any odd behavior. Also plug other things into the same outlet and see if anything funny happens. Is your PSU plugged into a surge protector or into the socket?
September 15, 2006 9:13:50 PM

Well, This is a brand new PSU.
I had to buy a new one because the one that came with the case didn't have enough 4pin power connectors and didnt have connectors for SATA drives.

The house wiring is fine luckily enough because we have all the other appliances running fine on it and my other computer.

Ok! I have just tried connecting ONLY the PSU to the outlet and tested with the electrical screwdriver. The LED lit!! On the side of it. I left the power in and a few minutes later, I tried again and nothing! Odd!

I have used the same outlet many of times and its fine :D 

I have tried it in both, a surge protector and just the socket itself.

Many thanks
Related resources
September 15, 2006 9:20:39 PM

Quote:
Well, This is a brand new PSU.
I had to buy a new one because the one that came with the case didn't have enough 4pin power connectors and didnt have connectors for SATA drives.

The house wiring is fine luckily enough because we have all the other appliances running fine on it and my other computer.

Ok! I have just tried connecting ONLY the PSU to the outlet and tested with the electrical screwdriver. The LED lit!! On the side of it. I left the power in and a few minutes later, I tried again and nothing! Odd!

I have used the same outlet many of times and its fine :D 

I have tried it in both, a surge protector and just the socket itself.

Many thanks


Take yo' lil ass down to some compooper shop biatch.

Seriously Mike, you have had way too many problems with this build! Just take it to the shop and tell them to fix it or you'll remove their testicles with a rusty spoon.

Or something like that.
September 15, 2006 9:45:17 PM

Ok! Fair enough :) 
Dont want to end up with this fried!

Thanks for the tip! I'll say just that! :lol: 

Thanks for all your help :) 
September 15, 2006 9:52:41 PM

OMFG!

Stand well back, get your rubber boots and rubber gloves on, remove cheap PSU, insert cheap PSU into vendors rear with boot.

Seriously though, I would imagine your PSU is just dead. DONT USE IT ANYMORE JUST IN CASE YOU KILL YOURSELF MAN!

If you dont have trip fuses in your house then maybe you shoud get some before your house burns down next time you buy a cheap PSU.

I never scrimp on the price of the PSU for any build because I dont want someones house burning down because I tried to build a PC too cheap!

Always worth paying for a good PSU, plenty of reviews for good models around.

IF your PSU was not cheap then you just got a duffer.

One last thing, unplug the PSU!
September 15, 2006 10:54:21 PM

:o  Ok
But I just got the PSU, its new and I dont think its a cheap model anyway
Luckily I do have trip switches :D 

Unplugged!

Its going back to the store then when I go out.

Thanks
!