Stuck for a while in Myst 3

I've been stuck for a while in Myst 3. Normally I wouldn't post, but I
don't even see anything to try so I'm getting pretty desperate. I
don't actually want a solution, but I just want to make sure that I
haven't run into some bug or impossible situation that I can't ever
solve.

I'm going to describe where I am, which I guess might be a spoiler for
some people, so SPOILER ALERT!!!!
..
..
..
..

This is going to be a bit vague as it's been a while since I played:
I'm in one of the linked worlds. I started out on a rock and followed
a metal path over the water and thru a tunnel. I found a cavern and
released an airship, but the airship just floated forward till it hit
a closed dome.

Right now there's only a couple of controls I can fiddle with.
There's an elevator outside the dome, and I can pull on a lever, but
nothing happens. In another location, I can descend to a chamber and
press a button, but that just causes a device to rise up, hit a metal
plate, and come down again. There's also a button I can press in a
door near there, and again nothing happens.

I've tried going spot by spot by spot looking for something I've
missed and I just can't see it. I've tried undoing some of the
puzzles I've already solved, like the engine room that's filled with
lava or whatever, and no luck. If someone recognizes this and can
just suggest an area to look in, that would be great. Or have I run
into some kind of bug and I need to back up???

thanks!!!!

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:46:52 GMT, murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've been stuck for a while in Myst 3. Normally I wouldn't post, but I
>don't even see anything to try so I'm getting pretty desperate. I
>don't actually want a solution, but I just want to make sure that I
>haven't run into some bug or impossible situation that I can't ever
>solve.
>
>I'm going to describe where I am, which I guess might be a spoiler for
>some people, so SPOILER ALERT!!!!
>.
>.
>.
>.
>
>This is going to be a bit vague as it's been a while since I played:
>I'm in one of the linked worlds. I started out on a rock and followed
>a metal path over the water and thru a tunnel. I found a cavern and
>released an airship, but the airship just floated forward till it hit
>a closed dome.
>
>Right now there's only a couple of controls I can fiddle with.
>There's an elevator outside the dome, and I can pull on a lever, but
>nothing happens. In another location, I can descend to a chamber and
>press a button, but that just causes a device to rise up, hit a metal
>plate, and come down again. There's also a button I can press in a
>door near there, and again nothing happens.
>
>I've tried going spot by spot by spot looking for something I've
>missed and I just can't see it. I've tried undoing some of the
>puzzles I've already solved, like the engine room that's filled with
>lava or whatever, and no luck. If someone recognizes this and can
>just suggest an area to look in, that would be great. Or have I run
>into some kind of bug and I need to back up???
>
>thanks!!!!

Well, I guess all I had to do was post. I finally tried a different
sequence that I had never tried before... and it made it possible to
open up the hatch!!!! Although I have to say that the thing I did
wasn't very "intuitive". One of those "run to one place, joggle
something, run to another place, joggle something, and get a happy
surprise.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

murdocj on 16/08/2005 2:23 am wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:46:52 GMT, murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been stuck for a while in Myst 3. Normally I wouldn't post, but I
>> don't even see anything to try so I'm getting pretty desperate. I
>> don't actually want a solution, but I just want to make sure that I
>> haven't run into some bug or impossible situation that I can't ever
>> solve.
>>
>> I'm going to describe where I am, which I guess might be a spoiler for
>> some people, so SPOILER ALERT!!!!
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>
>> This is going to be a bit vague as it's been a while since I played:
>> I'm in one of the linked worlds. I started out on a rock and followed
>> a metal path over the water and thru a tunnel. I found a cavern and
>> released an airship, but the airship just floated forward till it hit
>> a closed dome.
>>
>> Right now there's only a couple of controls I can fiddle with.
>> There's an elevator outside the dome, and I can pull on a lever, but
>> nothing happens. In another location, I can descend to a chamber and
>> press a button, but that just causes a device to rise up, hit a metal
>> plate, and come down again. There's also a button I can press in a
>> door near there, and again nothing happens.
>>
>> I've tried going spot by spot by spot looking for something I've
>> missed and I just can't see it. I've tried undoing some of the
>> puzzles I've already solved, like the engine room that's filled with
>> lava or whatever, and no luck. If someone recognizes this and can
>> just suggest an area to look in, that would be great. Or have I run
>> into some kind of bug and I need to back up???
>>
>> thanks!!!!
>
> Well, I guess all I had to do was post. I finally tried a different
> sequence that I had never tried before... and it made it possible to
> open up the hatch!!!! Although I have to say that the thing I did
> wasn't very "intuitive". One of those "run to one place, joggle
> something, run to another place, joggle something, and get a happy
> surprise.

LOL, isn't that how you're supposed to play Myst 3?