My First Overclock!!

robodude666

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Hey,

I am planning on getting a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ in a few months and overclock it to run faster so I decided to practice overclocking and learn some stuff about it (so that I don't fry my processor on its first day)

My cousin gave me his old motherboard and AMD Athlon XP processor so I just put in a gfx card, some ram and a hard drive and practiced on that.

Heres what I got:

Default Settings:

Core Speed: 1150MHz
Temperature: 47.5C
Bus Speed: 100MHz
Multiplier: 11.5

Overclocked Settings:

Core Speed: 1270MHz
Temperature: 47C
Bus Speed: 110MHz
Multiplier 11.5

Core Speed: 1385MHz
Temperature: 48C
Bus Speed: 120MHz

Core Speed: 1556MHz
Temperature: 50C
Bus Speed: 135MHz

I did the overclocking in 3 steps because I didn't know how much this processor could take. I don't know what model this processor is, but I know its a Palomino core and with default settings it runs at 1.15GHz (Rather slow, yes.)

The most I could overclock it was to 1.556GHz :( If I use any other multiplier other than 11.5 then the computer wouldnt even boot and if I used any Bus Speed over 135MHz it wouldn't start either. At 1.556GHz the CPU idles at around 50C which I understand is hot for a processor. Then again, this motherboard, fan and processor is like 5 years old.

All measurements were done in CPU-Z except for temp which was taken from PC Wizard 2006.

What do you guys think? :D Feel free to comment.

I am glad to be off of that slow machine and back onto my 3.2ghz w/ HTT :lol:

-robodude666

bar0n

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
that cpu most probably is a palomino 1800+ (1533 MHz). there is no athlon xp CPU with 100MHz fsb. it must be 133 at least. and 166 at most.

you must check the jumpers on the motherboard at least to set the fsb to 133 as you shoud with an XP CPU.

and after that you can start thinking about overclocking.

robodude666

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I think it is a 1800+ actually, as that is what I was told when my cousin gave me the CPU, but when I reset the cmos and loaded windows with default BIOS settings cpu-z gave me 1.15ghz and so did My Computer properties.

The cooling is not stock I think (its got funky blue lights which I am guessing is not stock), but the fan is like 5 years old and has tons of dust on it and it doesn't move a lot of air. However, it doesnt make a lot of noise which I like. Im going to get a can of air and clean the fan and heatsink. Maybe that would help.

The motherboard I am using is a MSI KT3 Ultra2 (Standard version) and ram is some very slow Ultra 256mb Ram. Think its somewhere in the 100s or low 200s.

The case has a built in onboard circuit for its temperature sensor w/ LCD and the LCD reads that the case is about 90C.. Thats really bad, right? The temperature sensors is located between the GFX card and the north bridge fan.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I'm not sure if what you are doing is correct...

My Athlon XP 1800+ ran with DDR-266, which means that you *should* be running at a Bus speed of 133mhz ANYWAY. (133x2 = 266).

Thus, the BIOS defaulting to 100 (which often happens) means you weren't even overclocking it as you increased the FSB! You were just setting the FSB to the correct setting for that CPU.

It's possible that you are using generic RAM which won't overclock too well... and thus pumping the FSB is gonna prevent your PC from booting up long before you reach the CPU limits.

Unfortunately, the old 'pencil trick' for unlocking the multiplier on Athlon XP CPU's doens't work (I believe) with the newer 1800+'s.

It is possible, though, to be able to unlock this CPU (toms had an article a while back if I remember correctly) but you can damage it.

To be honest, though, the bottom line is that you have a really horrible CPU to overclock. With air cooling and poor RAM, even with an unlocked multiplier you probably won't get it much further than 1.7ghz.

*Hint* the default speed for an Athlon XP 1800+ is 1.53ghz and the default FSB is 133. Re-read your initial post 'overclock' and try not to LOL. :p