Computer just beeps

Enigman01

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I built a new system this week after realizing that there was virtually nothing in my old system that could be upgraded without upgrading everything.

The new system ran flawlessly for three days (computer was on constantly over that time) while I installed all drivers, checked for updated drivers and ran diagnostics.

Today, I played an online game (Everquest) for two hours to check whether I was going to run across the issues that game has with dual core processors, logged out of the game after finding no problems, put a DVD into my drive to install another game (Oblivion) and the system locked solid.

CTRL-ALT-DEL did not do anything, so I hard booted from the case reset switch, and the system never came back. The fans run, the monitor blinks to show no signal detected, and the computer beeps repeatedly.

Continual beeps are usually power supply or video card as far as I recall, but removing and reseating the video card does not help, and I would assume since the fans run, the power supply is working.

System is:

MSI P965 Neo mainboard
Intel E6300 Core 2 Duo chip
Two 1 Gb Kingston sticks RAM
Cooler Master eXtreme Power 600W PSU
Seagate 320 Gb SATA hard drive
LiteOn Super AllWrite DVD-R
Generic 3.5 Floppy
EVGA eGeForce 7900 GT video card
using the onboard Network and sound
Win XP Home

All drivers were current as of yesterday's date.

My guess is the video card went, but it was such a quick thing, perhaps those in this forum would have a suggestion for a potential way to determine exactly what went wrong. The system temp was fairly stable at 34C the entire three days, even during a run of 3D Mark 2006, although the CPU temp predictably jumped from 35C to 37C during that run. I had video temp diagnostics loaded, but unfortunately was not running them at the time, so have no way to tell what the video card temp was at that point.

Enigman01

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Removing and reseating the RAM did not do anything, but when I removed and switched the RAM between the two slots, the system booted up, but gave an error message at POST memory test.

A bit of fiddling with single sticks gave me the bad one and the store was quite willing to replace the bad stick.

I had never seen RAM go quite like that, but at least the problem was not as bad as I had been expecting at getting replacement parts.