Onboard GMA 950 incompatible with Steam

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Steam
  • Intel
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2006 3:23:01 AM

my compaq notebook with 128mb intel GMA 950 is not supported by steam for some reason so i can't play CSS. I see the loading screen then it just goes black. with speakers one i can hear the menu's noise so the game is working. The steam forum is no help cause it takes forever getting the activation. anyone know a fix? I've installed DX9 and the latest intel driver.

More about : onboard gma 950 incompatible steam

September 16, 2006 4:10:44 AM

I wouldn't expect much from integrated graphics... especially in a notebook.

-mcg
September 16, 2006 4:19:23 AM

actually, my dad's emachine wth celeron 2g + 32mb integrated intel graphic + 384mb of ram played HL2 fine at low res. this notebook is more powerful than that. can anyone point me to the right direction?
Related resources
September 16, 2006 4:52:22 AM

You might try downloading something like the Half-Life 2 Demo. It's free and runs on the same engine as Counter-Strike Source, so giving it a try could tell you whether it's a problem with Counter-Strike Source itself or all games built on the Source engine.
September 16, 2006 5:02:59 AM

tried HL2 DM and HL2, same problem. I managed to get video once by directly joining a server, but the game crashed when i tried to lower the video setting. Steam forum won't let me post cause i'm still awaiting moderator activation even though i registered 8 month ago and clicked the confirmation e-mail link........maybe you guys can help me with that problem first.

well, if it doesn't work on this laptop, i'll just have to play on my desktop.
September 16, 2006 5:34:25 AM

GMA950 is not strong enough for for css

i played cs on GMA950 and bad frame rates, So i upgraded to x800GTO, now i can play cs:s @ 131 fps stress test full aa af everything else low

-i mean it is compatable but not strong enough
October 5, 2006 6:54:54 AM

i believe u r screwed man...
i also got gma950 macbook...
currently running windows vista rc1 with aero enabled with gma950;
all games work fine except steam products...
i contacted the steam;
their answer was simple...
too bad...
fxxkin steam...
October 25, 2006 12:37:45 PM

Add the flag -dxlevel 80 in startup options and it will run. (Expect really bad framerates like 20 average, At least for me on my macbook)

edit: If you had googled it or searched the steam forums you would have found this :p .
!