Strange bootup artifacting with ati card

theslug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Hi all,
A friend recently purchased the Radeon x1600 card and is using it with an MSI K8T Neo board. When booting up, this occurs:

You can see the horizontal lines on the MSI logo screen. Anyone know what this is caused by? Could it be a bad card or possibly overheating?

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
overheating.

drivers

try putting a fan blowing on it just for testing purposes, and try un-installing then re-installing the drivers

theslug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Well it wouldn't be the drivers, because this happens immediately as you turn on the computer, before you get into the OS. I'm thinking heat.

CallumN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Looks like a damaged card, RMA it and send a link to that pic, im sure they will accept the RMA if its still in warranty.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Does this happen immediately upon starting the computer or when it seemingly is attempting to go into windows (after post)? I ask because I am not aware of when the MSI screen comes up.

I've had two occassions when this particular issue happened to me - once when the videomemory on my graphics card went bad and the other time when the northbridge on a motherboard went bad.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
If this part of the post is the only time you notice this problem and its brief I would disable the logo screen and see if you still have problems after XP loads.
Stress the 1600 with 3Dmark 2006 or check for artifacts with ATI tool.
Remember that the ATI drivers are not even loaded until late into the boot up in the windows environment.
If this happens under all conditions then I would agree that the card may be defective.
Otherwise the brief glitch may just be a spike from that power hungry card during initialization.

theslug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
It's immediately as you power on the computer. I'm guessing this screen is some replacement put in by MSI for the POST screen you would normally see.
I'll give atitool and 3dmark a shot.