Sign in with
Your question

General Overclocking Questions

Last response: in Overclocking
September 16, 2006 4:12:54 AM

I was just wondering what happens when you overclock too far. Other than the possibilities of unstable systems, and burning out something, what else can happen if you bring up the clock too much? (This is in reference to CPUs, but most things will burn out if you push them too far, heheh).

I'm running a P4 Northwood at 2.8 ghz stock, and wondering how far it will go. But it probably won't go too far, considering it's a dell, and I'm using Value Ram. And even trying to OC my FX 5200 (yes, I have one. I am ashamed) would probably be a bad idea, considering it's a cheap piece of crap.

I'd be doing this more for getting experience, instead of actually getting a serious performance boost, but I'm just wondering about the possible negative consequences of doing this. Like, can my computer stop booting properly and I'm royally screwed? I've looked around, and seen things like complete non-functioning of processors, electromigration and stuff like that. But excluding the [hopefully] rare cases of massive breakdown, what are the chances of my computer somehow screwing itself over in a way I can't fix?

[Note: for those of you hurting inside from reading the dreary specs of my dell, have faith! I'm saving up a few grand to purchase a kickass one in about a year.]
September 16, 2006 4:22:46 AM

If you have a Dell, then you can't overclock. That's the long and short of it.
September 16, 2006 4:25:18 AM

Right. Note to self: build your own computer. When you have the budget and time. Or buy F-NW. Oh well. Thanks anyways.
Related resources
September 16, 2006 4:33:55 AM

Quote:
Right. Note to self: build your own computer. When you have the budget and time. Or buy F-NW. Oh well. Thanks anyways.

I'd go with F-NW, as they build what (at least I consider to be) some of the best gaming PCs on the market. They're expensive, but you get what you pay for. You might also want to look into Overdrive PC and Voodoo PC.
September 16, 2006 4:40:07 AM

Plus F-NW actually has customer support, heheh. Always a plus. No Indian accents. (Of course, no offence to any Indians reading this)
!