Your question

In Windows-7, assigning Adobe Reader, acrord32.exe, to read PDF files,

Tags:
  • PDF
  • Adobe Reader
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
May 28, 2011 6:38:19 AM

[A previous thread on this issue was closed with questions still outstanding, and with much more discussion of the complexity of solving the network of problems the original question poised, needed. Since that thread is where a browser search engine will bring a user looking for answers, finding the thread prematurely closed was unhelpful.]

I'm using Windows 7 Home Professional 64 bit Edition, and want to use Adobe Reader [AcroRd32.exe] to read *.pdf files, but cannot assign that program to that file extension.

I've followed the advice from jesot in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/171-63-files-windows

and it is functional as far as it goes:

If you download Adobe, you need to set the default program to open pdf's to Adobe.

Internet Options -> Programs -> Internet Programs -> [Set Programs] -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program

Then scroll down to pdf (it will have the Windows default utility selected), click on it, then change it to Adobe. Bing, bam, boom, done. I had problems with this and was having to download pdfs and do Open with... I did a little troubleshooting, and fixed the problem.

The suggestion by jesot results in the display of an "Open with" widget.

In that widget the choice is currently stuck at gimp-console-2.6.exe (which actually will open a PDF file, but with excessive overhead), and the "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" check box is checked and fuzzed out so that it cannot be unchecked.

There are two other suggested programs to handle PDF files available, but I've found no way to increase that assortment to include the AcroRd32.exe program I want.

When I "Browse" from that "Open with" widget to C:\program files(x86)\Adobe\reader 10.0\reader\acrord32.exe to choose the program to be assigned to PDF files, leave that executable selected and click "open", the operation fails silently and nothing is changed.

I can get to this same "Open with" widget via several other pathways, some of which let me uncheck the "always use..." check box, though only transiently, but when I browse to AcroRd32.exe, my browsing efforts are discarded, my choice of that program to be used to open the PDF file is silently ignored, and I am left back looking at the "Open with" widget.

Speaking as a senior software developer, both silent failures and also discarding the user's work products are inexcusable.

Any clues on a technique to help me get unstuck?

xanthian.
Kent Paul Dolan, retired software developer.

More about : windows assigning adobe reader acrord32 exe read pdf files

May 28, 2011 4:06:28 PM

It's possible that you can't make the desired changes to your system because you do not "Own" the files on your computer. In Windows 7, by default, the files are owned by a mysterious person named "Trusted Installer" who will not let you make certain changes to your system. You may need to take ownership of the files to make changes.

Here is a link explaining the procedure:

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-gran...

---Max

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2011 4:28:53 PM

Try going to Adobe Reader then go to edit and click on preference then the general tab then select the default PDF handler which should give you the option to have Adobe Reader be the default. At least that is the way it is on mine. I use Adobe Reader X 10.0.1
m
l
May 28, 2011 6:24:28 PM

Max Collodi said:
It's possible that you can't make the desired changes to your system because you do not "Own" the files on your computer. In Windows 7, by default, the files are owned by a mysterious person named "Trusted Installer" who will not let you make certain changes to your system. You may need to take ownership of the files to make changes.

Here is a link explaining the procedure:

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-gran...

---Max

Thanks, Max.

I followed link

http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-...

from the site you recommended, and merged the recommended contents into my registry, with no complaint from the OS.

I expect I have to reboot to make it functional, and I have too much context on my screen to do that just now.

xanthian.
m
l