Sign in with
Your question

Combo drive tray opens randomly

Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2006 5:31:39 AM

The tray on my Samsung CDRW-DVDROM drive opens on its own with no disc in the drive, and sometimes ejects a CD a few seconds after it is inserted. The problem is random, sometimes the drive works fine. I checked with Samsung, there is no firmware update available. I uninstalled the drive with Device Manager, & rebooted, letting Windows reinstall the driver. I suspect it is a mechanical problem with the drive and I probably need to just replace it. Any thoughts? Thanks
October 3, 2006 10:17:25 PM

Replace the drive... These problems are so common... Dealer or the Manufacturer should cover it.
October 3, 2006 11:06:33 PM

yep...mine too...samsung combo...opens with no disc...sometimes when i shut down my computer, the tray juts out and stays out!! Have to turn my computer back on to shut the tray and shutdown again. Sometimes, when, the read button on the combo lights up during startup (no disc inside) and it never continues to window. The light just keeps on blinking as if there is a disc inside. Have to open and close drive for it to continue to windows.

Of course I could buy a new drive but i would just like to know why it is acting the way it is. Somebody with experience or knowledge please answer. Please! 8O
Related resources
October 4, 2006 1:12:41 AM

Optical drives are cheap... they cost no money to make, and the profit on them are small... they build them like crap, and you often get crap...

Never had experiance with that drive... if its under $25 and you bought it from NewEgg, they will RMA it, send you a new drive... and you can keep the broken one for a paper holder.
October 4, 2006 10:19:53 PM

hi.
although i have tried many different drives i never had a problem with them.
as for cheap drives it varies from many factors.
personaly when in year 2000 i bought a toshiba dvd-romi paid for it almost 70 euro if i remember right.
this drive is running still in my pc as the first day.since them i change many pc but no drives either cd-writer or dvd-rom.
it may be just fault from the factor.
buy a new nec drive.
October 7, 2006 3:44:05 AM

Quote:
hi.
although i have tried many different drives i never had a problem with them.
as for cheap drives it varies from many factors.
personaly when in year 2000 i bought a toshiba dvd-romi paid for it almost 70 euro if i remember right.
this drive is running still in my pc as the first day.since them i change many pc but no drives either cd-writer or dvd-rom.
it may be just fault from the factor.
buy a new nec drive.

Got a new one... works great... so far... hehe

$25 for a ATA DVD-RW

And it doesnt dump out the coasters like the lite-ons do...

Thats why I switched... the lite on I had, wasnt very reliable... would spit out allot of disks, with a error, and then you look up the error, and it would say disk is bad... the coaster ratio was horrible when compaired to the Plextor... I bought a SATA-DVD Reader from lite-on, but wont touch there DVD-RW's due to their problems
October 7, 2006 3:59:01 AM

Quote:
it doesnt dump out the coasters like the lite-ons do...

hey.....i've had 2 lite-ons and they were both never gave me probs.

*not a Lite-on fanboi.... LOL
October 7, 2006 4:16:11 AM

compaired with my Plextor, The Lite-on I got had a about a 4x error ratio. But the Plextor was 4 times the cost, and is considered the best DVD-Burner on the market...
October 7, 2006 4:18:25 AM

Just replace the drive.they are cheap enough these days that when they act up either RMA it or replace it if no warranty left.It's not uncommon to to come across cd drives that are defunk.It happens.goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
October 7, 2006 6:33:00 AM

Quote:
Of course I could buy a new drive but i would just like to know why it is acting the way it is. Somebody with experience or knowledge please answer. Please! 8O

Normally it's a mechanical problem where the tray mechanism isn't closed all the way to the lock position, or it's just loose enough that the sensor doesn't think it is.

If your drive has the door mounted to the tray (rather than hinged to the cover), you MIGHT be able to get it to stop by removing the door, thereby allowing the tray to "seat" easier.
November 10, 2006 7:27:53 AM

No...no door attached to the drive. :(  It still opens by itself at times. Scares the heck outta me! (especially when i'm playing games at nyt). Nvr mind...i'll just stick with it a little while more until those 18x DVD drives get cheaper. :wink:
November 10, 2006 7:32:51 AM

Cheaper? Last I checked they were $30, I don't think they'll get much cheaper.
November 10, 2006 2:00:52 PM

I wouldnt care too much if its 16x or 18x. The speed difference is small, and is probably doesnt result in much real world changes. I rarely get near even 12x on my 16x drives when Im writing to them.

Mike
!