Sign in with
Your question

More AMD price cuts soon?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 16, 2006 6:11:37 AM

I'm thinking of buying a socket 939 4800+ X2 to upgrade my current Athlon64 3700+ single core CPU...

I can get it now for $288.00 from zip zoom fly...

However, I was wondering if I should expect any notable price cuts in the next few months from AMD with the Intel quadcore and AMD's 4x4... or should these not affect price much?

If waiting until October, November, or even January means saving $50-$100 on the 4800+ X2 than it may be worthwhile for me to wait as I am not in a hurry...

Anyone know what to expect? Or is the price going to be around $290 for a little while?

Thanks a bunch...

More about : amd price cuts

a c 448 à CPUs
a c 111 À AMD
September 16, 2006 6:44:03 AM

Quote:

Actually, I have not heard of any rumors of prices cuts coming in Oct-Nov timeframe. I believe I recall one site reporting that you should not expect any.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3361

There's always next year.
September 16, 2006 6:59:50 AM

hopfully (fingers crossed) vista might help to give a boost for a price cut!

well i'm waiting for vista, inoder to get my new rig for the same price with better specs

if i were u i would wait, imo
Related resources
September 16, 2006 7:32:07 AM

There is not scheduled major price-cut from AMD this year publicly.
September 16, 2006 4:26:04 PM

In theory AMDs 65nm is cheaper to manufacture, so they should be sold cheaper, but I dont think thats gonna happen... Maybe if AMD becomes more desperate about C2D then we will see some additional price cuts
September 16, 2006 5:25:47 PM

Get the 3800 x2 its 2GHz clocked easily overclocks to 2.4GHz (4800 speed).

I have my oced to 2.45GHz and according to benchmarks it performs even better than 4800 x2.
September 17, 2006 5:43:10 AM

Quote:
In theory AMDs 65nm is cheaper to manufacture, so they should be sold cheaper, but I dont think thats gonna happen... Maybe if AMD becomes more desperate about C2D then we will see some additional price cuts

Nope, unlikely --- AMD will enjoy the higher margins first before they pass any savings along. As of Q1/Q2, the 90 nm process was hanging around 50-60% gross profit margin when they were charging 350 for a 3800+, after overhead, AMD's net profit margin is only 5-8% Q1/Q2 of this year. Dropping the price of 60% of the CPU shipments by 50% is going to cut ASPs by more than 5-8% and on 90 nm even with 50% gross margin, they will have a hard time turning profits. They need 65 nm going to get profit margin up.... not much chance of getting 'cheaper' 65 nm.... they will release slower though. the max speed bin for 65 nm in the rumor mill is 2.4 GHz.

Jack
Are you telling us that the first round of 65nm processors could actually be a (temporary) step backwards for AMD?
September 17, 2006 6:35:05 AM

Quote:

Should not be when there? :) 
September 17, 2006 7:36:28 AM

Quote:

Anyone know what to expect? Or is the price going to be around $290 for a little while?

Thanks a bunch...

As a general rule of thumb, the price cuts will happen the next week after you buy the processor. :cry: 
September 17, 2006 10:36:06 AM

I am in a bit of the same situation as you. I am also considering buying that chips. Personally, I'd be surprised to see that chip going for a lot less in the near future and this for a couple of reasons. Even if it's a socket 939, it remains a pretty high end product in AMD line up. Secondly, it's a 2 x 1 meg cache CPU which type AMD stopped to produce. Also, 939 is being phased out. All this should cause a sort of rarity that generally translates in price increase or stable price but not in a price drop.

Well I might be wrong on this, it's based on gut feelings more than anything....
!