Strange hang up issue. x1900xt

Blakestone

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
So i just installed my new asus x1900xt. Something weird happend in install. I did not know that i did not have .net 2.0 installed so i just installed the drivers. When it came time to install the Catalyst control center it did not let me proceed. Ok. so i got the .net stuff and installed that. Well just doing that allowed the drivers to work...but i have no control center. I dont care i didnt use it anyways.

Now something odd happens every once in a while ever since i have installed this card. Windows "hangs". It does not freeze...but i cannot open any apps and my screen saver wont kick in. The only thing i can do is log off...and that takes forever. I log back on and everything is fine again. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue...or if anyone had any suggested fixes...or if this is even an issue with the card or driver?

caseman

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
i had a ton of similiar issues with the 6.9s (small hang-ups, windows not resizing, ect). I removed them, used Driver cleaner and went back to the 6.8s and everything is peachy again.

if you jsut got the card, which version of the drivers are you using?

Blakestone

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
i'm useing 6.8. I installed the card meer days before 6.9 came out. I havent updated yet. The problem is more of an inconvenince than anything else. And it dosent seem to happen that often.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
i had a ton of similiar issues with the 6.9s (small hang-ups, windows not resizing, ect). I removed them, used Driver cleaner and went back to the 6.8s and everything is peachy again.

if you jsut got the card, which version of the drivers are you using?

I am using 6.9, on a brand new system, old xtx, and have no issues.

I did have to stop my ATI tray tools, that I had running to keep my acelero x2 fan running 100% all the time.

Maybe a power supply issue? Most anything 350W+ will run the xt, but it is finiky about quality of power. My new e6600 system with a bunch of stuff has yet to crest 250W under load.

Blakestone

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Shouldn't be a power issue. I have a 480watt Antec Truepower 2.0. And whenever i do anything graphics intensive its fine. I have no problems in games at all. Its just every once in a while windows will just freeze. I will look into the spyware thing. I hadn't thought of that.