Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Hey, I'm thinking about getting an E6600 Core 2 duo and man with all the MOBO's out now for it, i really cant decide whats a good mobo and for a good price. I want something that supports either DDR-2 800Mhz or DRR 2-1066, also want to be able to crossfire my ATI cards so DUAL X16 PCI-E are needed. Also is there a Core 2 duo Crossfire MOBO that supports native 16x(x2) not just x8(x2)
IM not OCing the processer because im really afraid too so that isnt a big issue... Any help would be nice, as im currently confused!

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Hey, I'm thinking about getting an E6600 Core 2 duo and man with all the MOBO's out now for it, i really cant decide whats a good mobo and for a good price. I want something that supports either DDR-2 800Mhz or DRR 2-1066, also want to be able to crossfire my ATI cards so DUAL X16 PCI-E are needed. Also is there a Core 2 duo Crossfire MOBO that supports native 16x(x2) not just x8(x2)
IM not OCing the processer because im really afraid too so that isnt a big issue... Any help would be nice, as im currently confused!
Take a look at the brand new ABIT AW9D. It has what you ask for at about $200.

jorberg

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Hey, I'm also looking for about the same thing. The only problem is, I can't find that motherboard that you listed. The ABIT site has it, but I can't find it at any online retailers. Would you mind directing me to one?

Thanks friend! :)

jorberg

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Is there any kind of performance difference between the max and the non-max versions? I don't think I'll be using the duel PCI eXP slots, and I won't be doing any OC.

Also, for the price ($199) the non-max version seems like what I would want to get. Is there any other board that you would recommend for this price instead of this one?

I was thinking about the Abit AB9, but the reviews on newegg were not so good. I also don't think that the AB9 supports quad core, which is pretty essential because I want to get that when it comes out. Here's the RAM I'm thinking about getting:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4967891?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
or
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4862510?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I'm pretty sure either of these would work perfectly fine in both motherboards. I'm going to be doing a ton of After Effects rendering, so I'm looking to squeeze as much power out of the little bit of money I can spend. As for processor, I'm pretty much set on the E6600.

I'm kinda worried though. I've heard rumors of price drops for the Intel processors because of the new AMD chip coming out (65nm I think?) so I'm wondering if I should wait. I guess I'm wondering about a lot of stuff!! :D

chupa

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
as soon as the new aw9d max series board comes out from abit its gonna be the board to get ur hands on .....initial benchmarks claim this thing to be a beast.

-uncle rico

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
hi all im looking for same however i want my motherboard to work with kentsfield and i want the crossfire to run in duel x16 mode not duel x8, can anyone reccomend one?

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Sorry, but I can't help with your specific Abit questions. I have no experience with them and only ran across the ZipZoomFly listing while looking for something else. :oops:

hacker91

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Same deal here except lil lower specs. Also I could use 2 IDE channels.

I like the Asus P5B Deluxe(965/ICH8R), P5W DH(975x/ICH7R), P5N32 SLI SE(Nforece 4 SLI dual X16)

Gigabyte DS3(P965/ICH8), DQ6(P965/ICH8R)

Hard part isI cant make up my mind either almost all boards have good reviews. P5B can unlock down on C2D and some chips even Up. W DH is rocksolid the features I need etc. N32 SLI SE well SLI x16 and full features

Gigabyte boards are about the same for performance/features/reliability.

Plus Asus and Gigabyte are merging for thier mainboard divisions so in a few months ya wont be able to tell what brand ya really get anyway. So out of these boards what do you guys think?

I dont need SLI persey but it wouldnt be bad either. 965 boards lock me to 1 IDE while 975 boards still have 2 channels.Nforce has 2 channels as well but fewer SATA. its a hella hard game right now.

PeaceLoving

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I don't know much about the Gigabyte boards (they look good!) but I'd personally go with the Asus P5W DH (if E6600 non-overclock and crossfire is what you really want). You will also get Digital Home (has a remote...you can even turn your computer off/on with it! LOL). This is the only board from Asus that supports both Conroe and Crossfire at the moment (I think...If i'm wrong..sorry! :oops: )

If not crossfire, go with the P5B Deluxe

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
if you want to run 2 x16 PCI-E rather than 2x X8 for Crossfire you will have to wait for RD600 & supposedly DFI may be the only company making a mobo with it.

jorberg, there probably will be a performance difference between the regular & MAX when overclocking but both should be the same at stock.
& the AB9 should support Kentsfield too (afaik all 965 boards should with a BIOS update).