Help with Virus

Hi .... I have just become infected with "MHTMLRedir.Exploit" ... the
Symantec website offers the following in the removal area
> Because this is an exploit only, there are no removal instructions, since
> there is nothing to remove. This is a detection for the exploit,
> preventing the execution of malicious content on your computer. By
> detecting the exploit, it is prevented from running.<
The file that is infected is located in the following
directory...C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5\8PQRGTIF\adv310[1].html is infected with
MHTMLRedir.Exploit
When I go into my Temp Internet files look for the Content ie5 .. I find
nothing in fact can't find the Content ie5 folder...
How do I get this off my system and how can I see the area where it is in to
delete the files... I am very confused with this one... I also have AVG Pro
running on my system and it to found the virus however no way to get it out.
it seems...

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about help virus

    Content.IE5 is a Hidden System folder. You do not have to see it to delete
    the contents.

    To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    if there are a large number of files.
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
    and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23o45B$0xEHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Dave <harr1s@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi .... I have just become infected with "MHTMLRedir.Exploit" ... the
    > Symantec website offers the following in the removal area
    >> Because this is an exploit only, there are no removal instructions,
    >> since there is nothing to remove. This is a detection for the
    >> exploit, preventing the execution of malicious content on your
    >> computer. By detecting the exploit, it is prevented from running.<
    > The file that is infected is located in the following
    > directory...C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary
    > Internet Files\Content.IE5\8PQRGTIF\adv310[1].html is infected with
    > MHTMLRedir.Exploit
    > When I go into my Temp Internet files look for the Content ie5 .. I
    > find nothing in fact can't find the Content ie5 folder...
    > How do I get this off my system and how can I see the area where it
    > is in to delete the files... I am very confused with this one... I
    > also have AVG Pro running on my system and it to found the virus
    > however no way to get it out. it seems...
    >
    > Any suggestions would be great thanks.
    >
    > Dave

    Hey Wes,

    Thanks that worked out just great..... I knew the file was hidden but
    couldn't remember how to get to it... I ran my virus software after deleting
    the files and no virus came up ... thanks again...

    Dave

    Dave, keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:eOMF2k3xEHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,

    "Dave" <harr1s@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi .... I have just become infected with "MHTMLRedir.Exploit"

    Don't panic... This page...

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/mhtmlredir.exploit.html

    Says...

    "Microsoft has released patch MS04-013 to address this issue."

    More here...

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-013.mspx

    ... or to make life easier you could just run Windows Update (eg start->
    Control Panel -> Windows Update) and download any security fixes it
    recommends you need.

Exploit Windows XP