Help with Virus

November 10, 2004 4:04:35 PM

Hi .... I have just become infected with "MHTMLRedir.Exploit" ... the
Symantec website offers the following in the removal area
> Because this is an exploit only, there are no removal instructions, since
> there is nothing to remove. This is a detection for the exploit,
> preventing the execution of malicious content on your computer. By
> detecting the exploit, it is prevented from running.<
The file that is infected is located in the following
directory...C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5\8PQRGTIF\adv310[1].html is infected with
MHTMLRedir.Exploit
When I go into my Temp Internet files look for the Content ie5 .. I find
nothing in fact can't find the Content ie5 folder...
How do I get this off my system and how can I see the area where it is in to
delete the files... I am very confused with this one... I also have AVG Pro
running on my system and it to found the virus however no way to get it out.
it seems...

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Dave

More about : virus

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 4:04:36 PM

Content.IE5 is a Hidden System folder. You do not have to see it to delete
the contents.

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23o45B$0xEHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Dave <harr1s@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi .... I have just become infected with "MHTMLRedir.Exploit" ... the
> Symantec website offers the following in the removal area
>> Because this is an exploit only, there are no removal instructions,
>> since there is nothing to remove. This is a detection for the
>> exploit, preventing the execution of malicious content on your
>> computer. By detecting the exploit, it is prevented from running.<
> The file that is infected is located in the following
> directory...C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files\Content.IE5\8PQRGTIF\adv310[1].html is infected with
> MHTMLRedir.Exploit
> When I go into my Temp Internet files look for the Content ie5 .. I
> find nothing in fact can't find the Content ie5 folder...
> How do I get this off my system and how can I see the area where it
> is in to delete the files... I am very confused with this one... I
> also have AVG Pro running on my system and it to found the virus
> however no way to get it out. it seems...
>
> Any suggestions would be great thanks.
>
> Dave
November 10, 2004 9:00:00 PM

Hey Wes,

Thanks that worked out just great..... I knew the file was hidden but
couldn't remember how to get to it... I ran my virus software after deleting
the files and no virus came up ... thanks again...

Dave

November 10, 2004 9:25:43 PM

Dave, keep having fun! :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eOMF2k3xEHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Dave <harr1s@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hey Wes,
>
> Thanks that worked out just great..... I knew the file was hidden but
> couldn't remember how to get to it... I ran my virus software after
> deleting the files and no virus came up ... thanks again...
>
> Dave

>> Content.IE5 is a Hidden System folder. You do not have to see it to
>> delete
>> the contents.
>>
>> To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...
>>
>> 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
>> Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
>> Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
>> Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed.
>> Especially
>> if there are a large number of files.
>> 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete
>> Files 3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
>> C:\Documents
>> and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
>> C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary
>> Internet Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO
>> 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it
>> deletes the
>> temporary internet files
>> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete
>> cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:%23o45B$0xEHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> Dave <harr1s@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi .... I have just become infected with "MHTMLRedir.Exploit" ...
>>> the Symantec website offers the following in the removal area
>>> The file that is infected is located in the following
>>> directory...C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary
>>> Internet Files\Content.IE5\8PQRGTIF\adv310[1].html is infected with
>>> MHTMLRedir.Exploit
>>> When I go into my Temp Internet files look for the Content ie5 .. I
>>> find nothing in fact can't find the Content ie5 folder...
>>> How do I get this off my system and how can I see the area where it
>>> is in to delete the files... I am very confused with this one... I
>>> also have AVG Pro running on my system and it to found the virus
>>> however no way to get it out. it seems...
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be great thanks.
>>>
>>> Dave
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 9:41:37 PM

"Dave" <harr1s@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi .... I have just become infected with "MHTMLRedir.Exploit"

Don't panic... This page...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

Says...

"Microsoft has released patch MS04-013 to address this issue."

More here...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...

... or to make life easier you could just run Windows Update (eg start->
Control Panel -> Windows Update) and download any security fixes it
recommends you need.
!