Which Brand Injet printer Should I Buy with Refillable Car..

Mike

Splendid

I want to buy a combination scanner/inkjet printer that uses refillable
cartridges?
I believe HP inkjet cartridges have chips on them that prevent refilling,
ie after being refilled the printer still senses the cartridge is empty.

Thanks,

Mike

zakezuke

> I want to buy a combination scanner/inkjet printer that uses refillable
> cartridges?

I don't know of anything in the HP PSC series that offers seperate ink
tanks and heads.

Epsons have chips but chip resetters are common place, but one would
likely be better off buying refillable tanks with self resetting chips.
I've never tried refilling an epson tank... I believe bottom vacuum
filling is required.. a royal pain.

The canon mp750/760/780 use tanks that are transparent and easy to
refill. The stock tanks are of the sponge type which have a limited
life but require no vacuum to fill. The mp800 is new, higher
resolution, but the tanks are chipped. It has been reported somewhere
that they print after the chips hit zero but this hasn't been confermed
by anyone.

The canon the mp450, mp500 use the PG-50 cl-51 which are not
transparent. I know nothing about them other than they cost more than
the ink for the mp800 with yields less than or equal to that of a more
spendy printer.

Mp170 uese the pg-40 and CL-41. Not transparent.

The mp800/500/450/170 are pretty freaking new and no information is
really available on them as of yet.

I am pleased with the refilling on the mp760.. I picked refillable
tanks as I don't know how to make a hole in the canon tanks and seal it
properly, and $5.00 each for ones with simple rubber plugs seemed a
more reliable solutions. Others would disagree. The mp800 looks
interesting as it's higher resolution, smaller drop size, but I don't
know of 3rd party tank replacements as of yet for it.

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I want to buy a combination scanner/inkjet printer that uses refillable
> cartridges?
> I believe HP inkjet cartridges have chips on them that prevent refilling,
> ie after being refilled the printer still senses the cartridge is empty.

Printers like the old HP895 used carts without chips. The new HP printers
like the 6840 use HP9x series carts. These have chips (supposidly) to allow
metering. I don't believe there is a third party resetter available for the
HP9x series yet.

The first cart on my HP6840 is almost empty - the driver has told me that
it's nearly empty but that I can continue printing until it's empty. I'll
probably refill it soon and see what happens.

Mike

Splendid

At a local PC show a printer vendor told me hp cartridges can be refilled
by putting a piece of tape over one of the contacts on the cartridge, but I
don't remember which contact needs to be covered.

Mike

> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I want to buy a combination scanner/inkjet printer that uses refillable
>> cartridges?
>> I believe HP inkjet cartridges have chips on them that prevent
>> refilling,
>> ie after being refilled the printer still senses the cartridge is empty.
>
> Printers like the old HP895 used carts without chips. The new HP printers
> like the 6840 use HP9x series carts. These have chips (supposidly) to
> allow
> metering. I don't believe there is a third party resetter available for
> the
> HP9x series yet.
>
> The first cart on my HP6840 is almost empty - the driver has told me that
> it's nearly empty but that I can continue printing until it's empty. I'll
> probably refill it soon and see what happens.

Mike

Splendid

He won't be printing enough to justify refillable tanks.
Where is a good place to look for printer cartridge
chip resetters?

Mike
'
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I want to buy a combination scanner/inkjet printer that uses refillable
>> cartridges?
>
> I don't know of anything in the HP PSC series that offers seperate ink
> tanks and heads.
>
> Epsons have chips but chip resetters are common place, but one would
> likely be better off buying refillable tanks with self resetting chips.
> I've never tried refilling an epson tank... I believe bottom vacuum
> filling is required.. a royal pain.
>
> The canon mp750/760/780 use tanks that are transparent and easy to
> refill. The stock tanks are of the sponge type which have a limited
> life but require no vacuum to fill. The mp800 is new, higher
> resolution, but the tanks are chipped. It has been reported somewhere
> that they print after the chips hit zero but this hasn't been confermed
> by anyone.
>
> The canon the mp450, mp500 use the PG-50 cl-51 which are not
> transparent. I know nothing about them other than they cost more than
> the ink for the mp800 with yields less than or equal to that of a more
> spendy printer.
>
> Mp170 uese the pg-40 and CL-41. Not transparent.
>
> The mp800/500/450/170 are pretty freaking new and no information is
> really available on them as of yet.
>
> I am pleased with the refilling on the mp760.. I picked refillable
> tanks as I don't know how to make a hole in the canon tanks and seal it
> properly, and $5.00 each for ones with simple rubber plugs seemed a
> more reliable solutions. Others would disagree. The mp800 looks
> interesting as it's higher resolution, smaller drop size, but I don't
> know of 3rd party tank replacements as of yet for it.

zakezuke

<I>He won't be printing enough to justify refillable tanks.
Where is a good place to look for printer cartridge
chip resetters?</I>

This is only required for epson. I have bought ink from
www.inksupply.com . The ink they sell is reported to be made by a
company called "Image Specalists" but near as I'm aware MIS
(inksupply.com) has never confermed this.

While refillable carts on an canon are not required, they are
reccomended, though if your friend doesn't print enough to justify
investment in refillable tanks ($5.00 each typicaly), why not consider
pre-fileld tanks ($5.00 each typicaly). It's an added expense but
reduces the chance of a leaky cart which can lead to a huge mess inside
the printer. This is really worth considering.

If you go epson.. given the difficulty level of refilling their tanks
i'd highly highly highly reccomend refillable tanks with self resetting
chips, typicaly $10.00 each and offen come with ink... but the ink i've
used in such things fades very very very quickly.

No chipreseter exists for the new canon line, but i'm not sure it's
even required.

zakezuke

> Are refillable tanks available for HP inkjet printers?

I'm not aware of any. It would be a spiffy idea, but given that HPs
typicaly have a printhead integrated into a cartridge the only
practical way to create a trully refillable unit is to either make your
own printheads or chop off the printheads off the HP and make an
attachable tank. I'm sure it *could* be done but we're talking
something above and beyond simple plastic molding... something i'd
suspect would be equal to the cost of the pritner.

There are printers like the HP businessjet 1100 for example that have a
seperate printhead and seperate inktanks, where the point becomes moot,
but near as i'm aware this arangement isn't available on any of their
consumer AIO units. It's an older model but something i'd seriously
consider if it wasn't for the fact that I need CD printing, it's rather
why I bought the canon mp760.

davy

I'd propably have a look at Canon's, anything like their ip4000/5000
ink tanks they are a doddle to refill.

Obviously the ones with seperate coloured tanks are far easier to
refill than the tri-coloured ones.

Davy

zakezuke

> They are refillable?

The tanks he's refering to BCI-3e black, and BCI-6 black cyan magenta
and yellow (yes two blacks). These can be refilled or replaced with
refillables with plugs. I reccomend refillables with plugs since
without a proper seal the tanks will leak. $5.00 each can get you
refillable tanks, or one can buy kits with refillable tanks. Typicaly
these kits with 2oz of ink each color cost less than one set of OEM
ink, where the refillable tanks represent a value of about $20.00
depending on where you shop.

The models that would qualify in this catagory are the Canon mp750 (all
on one, sheet feeder no fax) mp760 (all in one 35mm film/side adapter
no fax) and mp780 (sheet feeder and fax). No chips, refillable with a
drill/needle, refillable tanks, no chips.

There are some choises in epson, but I can not reccomend the OEM tanks
for refilling. They are too complex and they have chips on board.

Mike

Splendid

Are refillable tanks available for HP inkjet printers?

I didn't realize they were so inexpensive.

Mike

> This is only required for epson. I have bought ink from
> www.inksupply.com . The ink they sell is reported to be made by a
> company called "Image Specalists" but near as I'm aware MIS
> (inksupply.com) has never confermed this.
>
> While refillable carts on an canon are not required, they are
> reccomended, though if your friend doesn't print enough to justify
> investment in refillable tanks ($5.00 each typicaly), why not consider
> pre-fileld tanks ($5.00 each typicaly). It's an added expense but
> reduces the chance of a leaky cart which can lead to a huge mess inside
> the printer. This is really worth considering.
>
> If you go epson.. given the difficulty level of refilling their tanks
> i'd highly highly highly reccomend refillable tanks with self resetting
> chips, typicaly $10.00 each and offen come with ink... but the ink i've
> used in such things fades very very very quickly.
>
> No chipreseter exists for the new canon line, but i'm not sure it's
> even required.

Mike

Splendid

I believe putting a small piece of tape over one the contacts on the HP
cartreidge
may wqork. Don't remember which contact, though.

Mike

> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I want to buy a combination scanner/inkjet printer that uses refillable
>> cartridges?
>> I believe HP inkjet cartridges have chips on them that prevent
>> refilling,
>> ie after being refilled the printer still senses the cartridge is empty.
>
> Printers like the old HP895 used carts without chips. The new HP printers
> like the 6840 use HP9x series carts. These have chips (supposidly) to
> allow
> metering. I don't believe there is a third party resetter available for
> the
> HP9x series yet.
>
> The first cart on my HP6840 is almost empty - the driver has told me that
> it's nearly empty but that I can continue printing until it's empty. I'll
> probably refill it soon and see what happens.

Mike

Splendid

They are refillable?

Mike'

"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I'd propably have a look at Canon's, anything like their ip4000/5000
> ink tanks they are a doddle to refill.
>
> Obviously the ones with seperate coloured tanks are far easier to
> refill than the tri-coloured ones.
>
> Davy

zakezuke

> Your prices are way too high. A complete refill kit from HobbiColors for an
> iP4000 or MP780 is $21.95 and it includes 2oz bottles of ink and empty
> refillable cartridges. These use nylon screws for the seal instead of a
> rubber plug.

Yes, while i had them book marked... they don't list their prices on
their website. Generally speaking refillable tanks are about $5.00
each... hobbicolors has an excelent deal that I tend to not remember as
their site doesn't list their prices but has an extraordinary deal from
what i've seen.

Mike

Splendid

Thanks for reminding me the print heads are built into the cartridges.

>> Are refillable tanks available for HP inkjet printers?
>
> I'm not aware of any. It would be a spiffy idea, but given that HPs
> typicaly have a printhead integrated into a cartridge the only
> practical way to create a trully refillable unit is to either make your
> own printheads or chop off the printheads off the HP and make an
> attachable tank. I'm sure it *could* be done but we're talking
> something above and beyond simple plastic molding... something i'd
> suspect would be equal to the cost of the pritner.
>
> There are printers like the HP businessjet 1100 for example that have a
> seperate printhead and seperate inktanks, where the point becomes moot,
> but near as i'm aware this arangement isn't available on any of their
> consumer AIO units. It's an older model but something i'd seriously
> consider if it wasn't for the fact that I need CD printing, it's rather
> why I bought the canon mp760.

Mike

Splendid

Thnks for the information.

>> They are refillable?
>
> The tanks he's refering to BCI-3e black, and BCI-6 black cyan magenta
> and yellow (yes two blacks). These can be refilled or replaced with
> refillables with plugs. I reccomend refillables with plugs since
> without a proper seal the tanks will leak. $5.00 each can get you
> refillable tanks, or one can buy kits with refillable tanks. Typicaly
> these kits with 2oz of ink each color cost less than one set of OEM
> ink, where the refillable tanks represent a value of about $20.00
> depending on where you shop.
>
> The models that would qualify in this catagory are the Canon mp750 (all
> on one, sheet feeder no fax) mp760 (all in one 35mm film/side adapter
> no fax) and mp780 (sheet feeder and fax). No chips, refillable with a
> drill/needle, refillable tanks, no chips.
>
> There are some choises in epson, but I can not reccomend the OEM tanks
> for refilling. They are too complex and they have chips on board.

Canon Pixma printers and the MP series have the same print engine and both
use the same ink tanks. For someone wanting to refill (US only),
Hobbicolors.com has a great deal. Very inexpensive and they supply you with
empty refillable tanks as part of the set. I've tested the ink using an
iP4000 against two other brands and it gave the best results. They have an
eBay store, name = KBAY2002. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZkbay2002 For
other items and larger quantities refer to their web site. They don't have
prices listed there, but if you email them, they respond quickly.
--
Ron

> He won't be printing enough to justify refillable tanks.
> Where is a good place to look for printer cartridge
> chip resetters?
>
> Mike
> '
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I want to buy a combination scanner/inkjet printer that uses refillable
>>> cartridges?
>>
>> I don't know of anything in the HP PSC series that offers seperate ink
>> tanks and heads.
>>
>> Epsons have chips but chip resetters are common place, but one would
>> likely be better off buying refillable tanks with self resetting chips.
>> I've never tried refilling an epson tank... I believe bottom vacuum
>> filling is required.. a royal pain.
>>
>> The canon mp750/760/780 use tanks that are transparent and easy to
>> refill. The stock tanks are of the sponge type which have a limited
>> life but require no vacuum to fill. The mp800 is new, higher
>> resolution, but the tanks are chipped. It has been reported somewhere
>> that they print after the chips hit zero but this hasn't been confermed
>> by anyone.
>>
>> The canon the mp450, mp500 use the PG-50 cl-51 which are not
>> transparent. I know nothing about them other than they cost more than
>> the ink for the mp800 with yields less than or equal to that of a more
>> spendy printer.
>>
>> Mp170 uese the pg-40 and CL-41. Not transparent.
>>
>> The mp800/500/450/170 are pretty freaking new and no information is
>> really available on them as of yet.
>>
>> I am pleased with the refilling on the mp760.. I picked refillable
>> tanks as I don't know how to make a hole in the canon tanks and seal it
>> properly, and $5.00 each for ones with simple rubber plugs seemed a
>> more reliable solutions. Others would disagree. The mp800 looks
>> interesting as it's higher resolution, smaller drop size, but I don't
>> know of 3rd party tank replacements as of yet for it.

Zake,
Your prices are way too high. A complete refill kit from HobbiColors for an
iP4000 or MP780 is $21.95 and it includes 2oz bottles of ink and empty
refillable cartridges. These use nylon screws for the seal instead of a
rubber plug.
--
Ron

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> They are refillable?
>
> The tanks he's refering to BCI-3e black, and BCI-6 black cyan magenta
> and yellow (yes two blacks). These can be refilled or replaced with
> refillables with plugs. I reccomend refillables with plugs since
> without a proper seal the tanks will leak. $5.00 each can get you
> refillable tanks, or one can buy kits with refillable tanks. Typicaly
> these kits with 2oz of ink each color cost less than one set of OEM
> ink, where the refillable tanks represent a value of about $20.00
> depending on where you shop.
>
> The models that would qualify in this catagory are the Canon mp750 (all
> on one, sheet feeder no fax) mp760 (all in one 35mm film/side adapter
> no fax) and mp780 (sheet feeder and fax). No chips, refillable with a
> drill/needle, refillable tanks, no chips.
>
> There are some choises in epson, but I can not reccomend the OEM tanks
> for refilling. They are too complex and they have chips on board.

I should have posted the link to their eBay store.

>> Your prices are way too high. A complete refill kit from HobbiColors for
>> an
>> iP4000 or MP780 is $21.95 and it includes 2oz bottles of ink and empty
>> refillable cartridges. These use nylon screws for the seal instead of a
>> rubber plug.
>
> Yes, while i had them book marked... they don't list their prices on
> their website. Generally speaking refillable tanks are about $5.00
> each... hobbicolors has an excelent deal that I tend to not remember as
> their site doesn't list their prices but has an extraordinary deal from
> what i've seen.

Mike

Splendid

Thanks, I bookmarked the site.

Mike

"drc023" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
>I should have posted the link to their eBay store.
>http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZkbay2002
> --
> Ron
>
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Your prices are way too high. A complete refill kit from HobbiColors for
>>> an
>>> iP4000 or MP780 is $21.95 and it includes 2oz bottles of ink and empty
>>> refillable cartridges. These use nylon screws for the seal instead of a
>>> rubber plug.
>>
>> Yes, while i had them book marked... they don't list their prices on
>> their website. Generally speaking refillable tanks are about $5.00
>> each... hobbicolors has an excelent deal that I tend to not remember as
>> their site doesn't list their prices but has an extraordinary deal from
>> what i've seen.

Mike

Splendid

What is a iP4000 or MP780? Canon?

> Canon Pixma printers and the MP series have the same print engine and both
> use the same ink tanks. For someone wanting to refill (US only),
> Hobbicolors.com has a great deal. Very inexpensive and they supply you
> with empty refillable tanks as part of the set. I've tested the ink using
> an iP4000 against two other brands and it gave the best results. They have
> an eBay store, name = KBAY2002. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZkbay2002
> For other items and larger quantities refer to their web site. They don't
> have prices listed there, but if you email them, they respond quickly.
> --
> Ron
>
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> He won't be printing enough to justify refillable tanks.
>> Where is a good place to look for printer cartridge
>> chip resetters?
>>
>> Mike
>> '
>> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I don't know of anything in the HP PSC series that offers seperate ink
>>> tanks and heads.
>>>
>>> Epsons have chips but chip resetters are common place, but one would
>>> likely be better off buying refillable tanks with self resetting chips.
>>> I've never tried refilling an epson tank... I believe bottom vacuum
>>> filling is required.. a royal pain.
>>>
>>> The canon mp750/760/780 use tanks that are transparent and easy to
>>> refill. The stock tanks are of the sponge type which have a limited
>>> life but require no vacuum to fill. The mp800 is new, higher
>>> resolution, but the tanks are chipped. It has been reported somewhere
>>> that they print after the chips hit zero but this hasn't been confermed
>>> by anyone.
>>>
>>> The canon the mp450, mp500 use the PG-50 cl-51 which are not
>>> transparent. I know nothing about them other than they cost more than
>>> the ink for the mp800 with yields less than or equal to that of a more
>>> spendy printer.
>>>
>>> Mp170 uese the pg-40 and CL-41. Not transparent.
>>>
>>> The mp800/500/450/170 are pretty freaking new and no information is
>>> really available on them as of yet.
>>>
>>> I am pleased with the refilling on the mp760.. I picked refillable
>>> tanks as I don't know how to make a hole in the canon tanks and seal it
>>> properly, and $5.00 each for ones with simple rubber plugs seemed a
>>> more reliable solutions. Others would disagree. The mp800 looks
>>> interesting as it's higher resolution, smaller drop size, but I don't
>>> know of 3rd party tank replacements as of yet for it.

Mike

Splendid

Reread message thread and see they are Canon inkjet printers.

Mike

> What is a iP4000 or MP780? Canon?
>
> Mike
>
> "drc023" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
>> Zake,
>> Your prices are way too high. A complete refill kit from HobbiColors for
>> an iP4000 or MP780 is $21.95 and it includes 2oz bottles of ink and empty
>> refillable cartridges. These use nylon screws for the seal instead of a
>> rubber plug.
>> --
>> Ron
>>
>> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> The tanks he's refering to BCI-3e black, and BCI-6 black cyan magenta
>>> and yellow (yes two blacks). These can be refilled or replaced with
>>> refillables with plugs. I reccomend refillables with plugs since
>>> without a proper seal the tanks will leak. $5.00 each can get you
>>> refillable tanks, or one can buy kits with refillable tanks. Typicaly
>>> these kits with 2oz of ink each color cost less than one set of OEM
>>> ink, where the refillable tanks represent a value of about $20.00
>>> depending on where you shop.
>>>
>>> The models that would qualify in this catagory are the Canon mp750 (all
>>> on one, sheet feeder no fax) mp760 (all in one 35mm film/side adapter
>>> no fax) and mp780 (sheet feeder and fax). No chips, refillable with a
>>> drill/needle, refillable tanks, no chips.
>>>
>>> There are some choises in epson, but I can not reccomend the OEM tanks
>>> for refilling. They are too complex and they have chips on board.

Mike,

I have an HP 1160 printer that uses #14 ink cartridges. They can be refilled and I have
done so many times. They do have an electronic timer built-in and when you refill them
you have to then key in a certain sequence on two of the three front buttons. This
disables the ink level gauge but allows the cartridges to to reused more than once.
There is also another hurdle, the cartridges expire(and stop working) after 2 or 3
years...they have a date printed on the cartridge that represents some beginning point.
The way around this is to buy replacement non-OEM cartridges that are built without
these electronic locks...so you buy non-OEM once(at very reasonable prices-about 50%
less than OEM) and then refill them. The #14 cartridges are very easy to refill, the
black takes a special ink (costs more but looks better) but will work with regular black
ink.

I'm mentioning this because I really like the HP 1160 and HPs in general because they
have a different paper path (horizontally from the front) that seems to work without
much mishap.

jb

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%XuSe.11977$QN4.10257@trnddc02...
> I want to buy a combination scanner/inkjet printer that uses refillable
> cartridges?
> I believe HP inkjet cartridges have chips on them that prevent refilling,
> ie after being refilled the printer still senses the cartridge is empty.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

zakezuke

> Try the Canon MP750/760/780 or wait for the new MP500

mP500 or mP800. I think the mP800 just offers slide scanning and the
larger screen. Neither offers fax. The mp780 near as i'm aware that
offers xp64 drivers off the website sugesting that they plan to
continue offering this unit till such time they offer a newer printhead
on their faxable unit.

We don't know for a fact how fillable the new tanks are... it's been
sugested they continue to print after the chips read empty but this
hasn't been proven by anyone in this group.

Try the Canon MP750/760/780 or wait for the new MP500. All have individual
cartridges for lower running costs, great print capability and all
cartridges are refillable with no electronics or chips to worry about!

--
Regards
Stick, Oxford, UK