Windows update problem

Hello everyone,
I am having trouble with Windows Update. When I get to the screen where it
says,

"Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...

Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this
time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security
warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
Install or Yes to install the software"

it just stops there and goes no further.

I am running a Hp Pavilion 983xt with XP Home. Hp doesn't know what to do,
so I can't go there. The knowledge base can't find the info I am looking
for, so that isn't an option either.

So, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

---
More about windows update problem

    [[The subject behavior may occur if your firewall, like Zone Alarm, is NOT
    configured to allow you to access the Windows Update site.]]

    Windows Update stops at the "Checking for the latest version of the Windows
    Update software" screen
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836960

    Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software
    [[Problem Description:
    When you’re using the Windows Update Web site you receive a dialog box that
    states:
    "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
    Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. To
    ensure that you're able to view Windows Update when this verification
    is complete, select Yes in any "Security Warning" dialog boxes that
    appear." The update process freezes at this point.

    Resolutions:
    This may be caused by a third-party firewall product called Zone Alarm. Try
    disabling this program and opening the Windows Update site again. Be sure to
    enable your firewall again when you are done.]]
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:ezt5kA1xEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Jeffrey Bowen <skycaptain@hotpop.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello everyone,
    > I am having trouble with Windows Update. When I get to the screen
    > where it says,
    >
    > "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
    >
    > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
    > this time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
    > security warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft,
    > and then click Install or Yes to install the software"
    >
    > it just stops there and goes no further.
    >
    > I am running a Hp Pavilion 983xt with XP Home. Hp doesn't know what
    > to do, so I can't go there. The knowledge base can't find the info I
    > am looking for, so that isn't an option either.
    >
    > So, any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > ---

    Thanks for the reply Wesley, but I do not have Zone Alarm or any other third
    party firewall installed on this system.

    [[The subject behavior may occur if your firewall, like Zone Alarm, is NOT
    configured to allow you to access the Windows Update site.]]

    Windows Update stops at the "Checking for the latest version of the Windows
    Update software" screen
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836960

    Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software
    [[Problem Description:
    When you’re using the Windows Update Web site you receive a dialog box that
    states:
    "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
    Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. To
    ensure that you're able to view Windows Update when this verification
    is complete, select Yes in any "Security Warning" dialog boxes that
    appear." The update process freezes at this point.

    Resolutions:
    This may be caused by a third-party firewall product called Zone Alarm. Try
    disabling this program and opening the Windows Update site again. Be sure to
    enable your firewall again when you are done.]]
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:ezt5kA1xEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Jeffrey Bowen <skycaptain@hotpop.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello everyone,
    > I am having trouble with Windows Update. When I get to the screen
    > where it says,
    >
    > "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
    >
    > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
    > this time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
    > security warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft,
    > and then click Install or Yes to install the software"
    >
    > it just stops there and goes no further.
    >
    > I am running a Hp Pavilion 983xt with XP Home. Hp doesn't know what
    > to do, so I can't go there. The knowledge base can't find the info I
    > am looking for, so that isn't an option either.
    >
    > So, any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > ---

    ---

    Jeff,

    That was all I could find with that problem.

    Are you using Windows Update V4 or V5?

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    Or
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:emB7eL1xEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,

    V5

    --
    Peace,
    Jeff :-{)}
    Jeff,

    That was all I could find with that problem.

    Are you using Windows Update V4 or V5?

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    Or
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:emB7eL1xEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Jeffrey Bowen <skycaptain@hotpop.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for the reply Wesley, but I do not have Zone Alarm or any
    > other third party firewall installed on this system.

    > [[The subject behavior may occur if your firewall, like Zone Alarm,
    > is NOT configured to allow you to access the Windows Update site.]]
    >
    > Windows Update stops at the "Checking for the latest version of the
    > Windows Update software" screen
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836960
    >
    > Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software
    > [[Problem Description:
    > When you’re using the Windows Update Web site you receive a dialog
    > box that states:
    > "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
    > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. To
    > ensure that you're able to view Windows Update when this verification
    > is complete, select Yes in any "Security Warning" dialog boxes that
    > appear." The update process freezes at this point.
    >
    > Resolutions:
    > This may be caused by a third-party firewall product called Zone
    > Alarm. Try disabling this program and opening the Windows Update site
    > again. Be sure to enable your firewall again when you are done.]]
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    >

    > In news:ezt5kA1xEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Jeffrey Bowen <skycaptain@hotpop.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hello everyone,
    >> I am having trouble with Windows Update. When I get to the screen
    >> where it says,
    >>
    >> "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
    >>
    >> Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
    >> this time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
    >> security warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft,
    >> and then click Install or Yes to install the software"
    >>
    >> it just stops there and goes no further.
    >>
    >> I am running a Hp Pavilion 983xt with XP Home. Hp doesn't know what
    >> to do, so I can't go there. The knowledge base can't find the info I
    >> am looking for, so that isn't an option either.
    >>
    >> So, any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>

    >> ---
    >

    > ---

    ---

    See Kellys Korner at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm. Go to the
    A-Z link at the top and choose W. Scroll down to Windows Update. There is
    a lengthy section on trouble shooting WU.

    "Jeffrey Bowen" <skycaptain@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > V5
    >
    > --
    > Peace,
    > Jeff :-{)}
    > Jeff,
    >
    > That was all I could find with that problem.
    >
    > Are you using Windows Update V4 or V5?
    >
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    > Or
    > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:emB7eL1xEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Jeffrey Bowen <skycaptain@hotpop.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Thanks for the reply Wesley, but I do not have Zone Alarm or any
    >> other third party firewall installed on this system.

    >> [[The subject behavior may occur if your firewall, like Zone Alarm,
    >> is NOT configured to allow you to access the Windows Update site.]]
    >>
    >> Windows Update stops at the "Checking for the latest version of the
    >> Windows Update software" screen
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836960
    >>
    >> Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software
    >> [[Problem Description:
    >> When you're using the Windows Update Web site you receive a dialog
    >> box that states:
    >> "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
    >> Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. To
    >> ensure that you're able to view Windows Update when this verification
    >> is complete, select Yes in any "Security Warning" dialog boxes that
    >> appear." The update process freezes at this point.
    >>
    >> Resolutions:
    >> This may be caused by a third-party firewall product called Zone
    >> Alarm. Try disabling this program and opening the Windows Update site
    >> again. Be sure to enable your firewall again when you are done.]]
    >> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    >>

    >> In news:ezt5kA1xEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> Jeffrey Bowen <skycaptain@hotpop.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hello everyone,
    >>> I am having trouble with Windows Update. When I get to the screen
    >>> where it says,
    >>>
    >>> "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
    >>>
    >>> Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
    >>> this time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
    >>> security warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft,
    >>> and then click Install or Yes to install the software"
    >>>
    >>> it just stops there and goes no further.
    >>>
    >>> I am running a Hp Pavilion 983xt with XP Home. Hp doesn't know what
    >>> to do, so I can't go there. The knowledge base can't find the info I
    >>> am looking for, so that isn't an option either.
    >>>
    >>> So, any help would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Jeff
    >>>

    >>> ---
    >>

    >> ---
    >

    > ---

    I had the same problem after an aborted attempt to install XP sp2 , after
    much searching in forums etc. this is the solution that worked for me:

    I clicked on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
    OK. (do each one line at a time)

    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll

    then reran the windows update within IE and all was fixed.

    Good luck!

    Jules

    Thanks Jules, :-)

    That did the trick. I can now run update.

    Also, thanks Wesley and Colin for your help too.

    --
    Peace,
    Jeff :-{)}
    "Julie & Ian" <family@yorkdaines.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    I had the same problem after an aborted attempt to install XP sp2 , after
    much searching in forums etc. this is the solution that worked for me:

    I clicked on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
    OK. (do each one line at a time)

    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll

    then reran the windows update within IE and all was fixed.

    Good luck!

    Jules

    ---

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP